Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Frank Brothers Guitar Company - Custom Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by wallis222, Oct 4, 2017.

1. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 5.1 (delayed post):

More progress on the fretboard, and headstock overlay. I was given the choice of real mother of pearl, or celluloid nitrate dots. I went with the latter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 6:

The frets have been pressed into the fretboard - this is done before the board is glued to the neck. FBGC uses a two ton arbor press, checking tightness with a 0.001" feeler gauge, to ensure a very close and uniform fit. This allows them to omit the normal fret levelling step; leaving the buyer with longer fret life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim and Nick were explaining to me that going forward they plan on rolling the fretboard edges more than they were previously. The chamfered edge in the picture below will be the starting point for the roll.

[​IMG]

Oh, and here's a little teaser shot of the headstock.

[​IMG]

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Looking good!

Cheers,
    Geoff

wallis222 likes this.
  4. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks Geoff!

5. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Not an update, but a little teaser post. Here are a couple pictures of the FBGC proprietary tail piece, which in my opinion is an important ingredient in the FBGC sound and feel. If you look at pictures of the guitar you'll notice two things in particular about the tailpiece. One, the design of the tailpiece makes for a very shallow break angle of the strings over the bridge. Two, the tailpiece floats. Both of these details help to make the strings feel very slinky - similar to tuning down a semi tone. It might be just me, but the tension also feels incredibly balanced from one string to the next. The tailpiece is an original Frank Bros. design, and is made locally by renowned luthier and inlay artist Mark Kett.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stopped by the FBGC workshop yesterday to take a look at my guitar. I walked out with the off cut from my Braz fretboard. I've decided to do something that I've always wanted - test different fretboard oils on a piece of rosewood. Right now I'm observing how the oils react, taking photos, and documenting. I'll make a detailed post tomorrow after 24 hours of absorption. But, just to tease, here's a photo of the 4 oils on the piece of Brazilian Rosewood. The oils used are: mineral oil (suitable substitute lemon oil), woodwind bore oil, boiled linseed oil, raw linseed oil.

[​IMG]

After 10 minutes of absorption. Can you guess which oil is which?:
    [​IMG]

6. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Wow! What a beautiful instrument. Unique, yet familiar. Amazing attention to detail. Can't wait to hear how you like it when it's done. Congrats....looks like you have your lifetime guitar

wallis222 likes this.
  7. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks BB!! I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comment.

8. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 7:

She's starting to look like a guitar. Yesterday the neck was glued to the body. FBGC has used hide glue successfully in the past, but ultimately decided to use Titebond wood glue in this application. It was explained to me by Tim that they prefer not to have to heat the neck joint prior to applying the glue - which is a necessary step with hide glue. Tim and Nick chose differently glues for different applications. For the fretboard they use marine grade epoxy so as not to introduce any water into the bond. In the case of the neck/body joint, the water in the glue helps to swell the joint and make a tighter fit.

In the photos you will notice how substantial the neck tenon is. It's about as long as Gibson's famed "long tenon" neck joint, but substantial wider and deeper. The idea is to cerate the most stable, strongest, and best sustaining joint possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The boys also had some time to glue the binding into the back of the body. Here you will see Simon, the only person that Tim and Nick trust to work on their guitars aside from themselves.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting very excited!

9. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Tim sent me these photos late in the day Thursday, but I've had a busy weekend.

I'm pretty sure these pics explain themselves. Oh, and she's only 5.12lbs at the moment. Should put her right around 7.00lbs when done. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bender66 likes this.
  10. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    YO! They're bringing out a stripped down version? My mouth is watering!
    I love their guitars but the price was a bit prohibitive... now maybe less so.
    I'd love to check out their shop. It's two blocks from my sister's new condo.
    DAMN.

11. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    So long as you give them a heads up, they are always open to having visitors.

This guitar will start at $3100.

Cazualwhiteguy and mitchfinck like this.
  12. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    That's a pretty steep cut (still pricey... but I mean that's like 40% off... damn). I also like the idea of a beautifully simple guitar.
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

wallis222 likes this.
  13. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Yup. Tim and Nick did absolutely everything they could to get the price down. They'd like if everyone could afford to play one of their guitars, but there's a huge cost involved in making them. This was their sincere attempt to make the guitar available to as many people as possible without compromising quality.

14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Day-ummm

wallis222 likes this.
  15. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Update 9:

Lots of progress has been made since my last post. The guitar has been sanded, sealed, grain filled, and had the first couple base coats sprayed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After sanding, the boys use a thinned nitro lacquer as the sealer coat. No sanding sealer here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I requested a black grain fill. Tim explained to me that they use Carbon Black (a.k.a. lampblack) pigment to dye the grain-fill jet black. Historically, lampblack was soot collected after the burning of oil or pine wood. Methods have changed, but the idea is still the same.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a photo of the back of the guitar after the grain fill and the first couple of base coats.
    [​IMG]

Felino and bender66 like this.
  16. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Pretty nice but can they do relicing? Haha.

Honestly these are calling to me...even though I prefer the traditional basic styles, these manage to look like something that could have been in existence all of these years.

Personally I love the aesthetics.

wallis222 likes this.
  17. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    OK MR Wallis, I need details on the progress of your guitar! Can't quit thinking about this beauty!

wallis222 likes this.
  18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I had to chime in on the tailpiece. Beautiful.

I take it's a sign that I ordered a few off the internet last night for builds only to open this thread.

Not a shape I would initially go for but yours is looking good.

wallis222 likes this.
  19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Beautiful
    Absolutely stunning
    I love a build thread and this one is one of the most interesting.
    What amp are you going to run it through?

wallis222 likes this.
  20. Felino

Felino Tele-Meister

Apr 28, 2016
    Belgrade
    I can't stop thinking about these guitars. Absolutely beautiful. Can't decide which one I like the most. I like 'em all!

@wallis222 What type of frets are on those maple tops? What is the bit diameter used for fret slots?
    I'm asking for a friend. Yes, I know, but I really am.

wallis222 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.