Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fralin Jim Weider Big T anyone ?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WaylonFan76, Feb 20, 2012.

1. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Has anyone tried the new Fralin Big T neck pup ?
    Did a search on the forum, but it returned nothing.

2. Guitar1959

Guitar1959 Tele-Meister

May 5, 2007
    South Carolina
    I installed one in my tele about 6 months ago. It was exactly what I was looking for. Great jazz tones, beefy enough to live with my Lollar bridge pup. Like a strat neck but a little warmer. This is a big winner.

3. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    And the GAS goes on... :rolleyes:
    Thanks, G59... :p

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    If I ever need another tele neck pup I'll probably get one.

6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Hey WaylonFan, how ya doing? Go to You Tube and put in "Analogman Big T" and you'll find a nice video by Matt Rae doing some nice pickin'.

If I didn't already have Owens Bigboy, I would probably snap that one up. I'm usually pretty skeptical about the sounds on most videos, but this one sounds pretty good. Plus not too hard to listen to Matt.

Have a good one Bud!
    David

7. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Thanks, Spud !
    Same here... If I didn't have my custom wound Duff Guardsman, I'd definitely get that one...

8. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

Jan 13, 2007
    Oregon
    yup... very impressive... have had one for quite a while

you may have to raise the treble side and lower the bass side but its a big sound

I emailed Weider and some other users... the biggest challenge is finding a matching bridge pickup thats up to the task

9. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2009
    Somewhere in the woods of
    Absolutely love it. Big airy Tele tone that goes very nicely with the SD Broadcaster in my guitar. I think it is a great PU that goes fine with almost all bridge PU of your liking. In my Tele set up there is no volume drop when switching to the neck position. Try it, you won't regret it.

10. WaylonFan76

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    :D Oh, man... Sounds nice...

11. Telemach_1

Jun 2, 2009
    You bet.

12. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 9, 2009
    West Orange, NJ
    I'm waiting to hear more responses to this. I'd be interested in it if Lindy Fralin and/or Jim Weider could suggest a Fralin bridge pickup to go with the Big T neck.

13. Telemach_1

Jun 2, 2009
    I would simply buy the bridge PU I like w/o thinking too much about the Weider. IMO the Weider does not require any special match. Just let your ears judge.
    One thing to consider is that the more powerful your bridge PU will be the less advantage you will have from the Weiders compensatory function of volume equality between the neck and the bridge position. My conclusion: The Weider goes extremely well with almost any kind of bridge PU.

14. Mhermans

Mhermans Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2010
    Boston
    Here's a demo I made of the Big T.

I have a Lollar special in the bridge, but I'm putting a Fralin %8 overwind in the there soon. Spoke with Lindy and he said it would be a good match. I Like the Lollar and it matches well with the Big T, but I need a non reverse wind because I'm going to install the Illitch silencing pick guard..... and I want to try something new.

15. Telemach_1

Jun 2, 2009
    Ooooh!! That is what I call nice playing. Thank you so much.

16. Stylemaster

Jan 9, 2009
    West Orange, NJ
    Nice playing and well put-together video. I'd love to hear a video with such good mic-ing and recording of just soloing on the Big T neck pickup - and with no effects boxes, just a guitar straight into a good Fender-style amp. BTW, which Fralin bridge pickup that is 8% overwound? Blues Special?

17. SPUDCASTER

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Go to You Tube and look up "Analogman Big T", there's a good video of Matt Rae. Might be what your looking for. I don't remember if it's through a Fender amp or any amp, but it's nice and clean and good pickin' to boot.

18. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Mar 27, 2003
    I have a Big T in the neck position on my #1 Tele - sounds great. A lot more balls than a standard Tele neck pup.

19. Stylemaster

Jan 9, 2009
    West Orange, NJ
    I've watched it a bunch of times. His playing is great but the recording sound quality isn't that great. The Big T pickup sounds sort of thin and peaky. He's playing through a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and that amp is very trebly and peaky unless you clip the bright cap, or so I have been told.

20. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2007
    The Hudson Valley
    I havnt tried it but want to, but I would tend to trust JW's instincts on PU's, and, its not like its a money making venture so I would guess its all about the tone, and not about any hype.

21. SPUDCASTER

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    Looks like your just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy one. That's probably the only way your really going to know what it sounds like for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.