Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fralin Blues Specials Review

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bigben55, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:16 PM.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    They came installed in a G&L ASAT Classic Tribute I just picked up. Mine has the open top covered neck pickup. I've had various Seymour Duncan and Dimarzios, Rio Grandes, Keystones, and Cavalier pickups in teles over the past 6 or so years, but these are my first set of Fralin. Out of all those pickups, I hear more "Vintage '50s tele" in them than any of the others. They say the neck is "stratty." I'd say it's strattier than a stock covered tele neck, but it's still not stratty to my ear. An 8k Cavalier Lioness I used to have sounded strattier (and a little better all around). The neck pickup is also a bit microphonic. I'm not blaming the pickup for that; these are supposed to be vintage sounding pickups, wound 5% hotter. Many vintage pickups are a little microphonic. The neck tone is fat, articulate and sweet. The bridge is bright and twangy but fat. Fairly hot. Very low noise for both. I think they're pretty good overall. But, had i spent $180 for them, I may be slightly disappointed. I liked the Rio Grandes a little better (same price), and the Cavaliers (Fat lion, Nashville, lioness) even moreso (for considerably less). These took a while to get sounding their best, between amp, pedals and guitar set up, but I am satisfied now.

I plan on upgrading all the electronics and adding a 4 way switch. Will update this post. I'm gonna try to deal with the neck pickup microphonics with wax and surgical tubing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.