Fractal AXE-FX-III ~ thinking about these, anyone here using one?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DHart, Feb 20, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I'm at the point where I don't need amplifiers... all I need is a great preamp and efx, then into my studio monitors and/or Macintosh for recording.

So... I've been kicking around the idea of Fractal AXE-FX-III. The accolades from top guitarists are thick and long.

Anyone here using one of these rigs? What are your thoughts?

24 track likes this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For what you're describing, the Fractal would be a very, very good choice.

DHart likes this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

really , Im not crying I got some thing in my eye!

axe-fx-iii-1920-front-white.jpg III-rear-transparent-e1517268585239.png

Newbcaster, 3-Chord-Genius and DHart like this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind the accolades from top guitarists for the AXE FX III hasn't been tested to the fullest yet since it's a new product, but I have no doubt they have another hit on their hands.

Pros: Too long of a list... flexible and sounds great. What else can be said!
    Cons: Expensive & rack only at this time so a controller may be needed and will drive up the price further. Irrelevant if you plan on racking it and don't have any interest in a floor model which is inevitable.

The III looks like Fractal finally created a friendlier UI on the device... something it sorely lacked on the FX II. Dare I say it... it looks like they borrowed a lot of ideas from the Helix in that regard.

As with all modelers it's important to remember these boxes are just interfaces, the tone is in the software the runs on it!

DHart likes this.
  5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. codamedia

That is not the AXE FX III in a floor unit... that is an older model. (more related to the AX FX II)
    The III is a brand new beast with more than double the processing power.

DHart likes this.
  7. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

There's talk in the Fractal Audio forum that something like this is in the works. It'll most likely be a nerfed version with a lower pricetag. I'd wait for it personally, unless you can afford the FXIII.

DHart likes this.
  8. stratwilly

stratwilly Tele-Meister

I have some friends who are very happy with their AXE FXes. Some use it live and for recording, some just for recording, - great technology.

But just one different thought:
    Have you considered or tried a pure modeling plug in for your MAC - I assume you are using Logic ?
    I sometimes use "sGear" for recording, - there is a free but time limited test version available
    https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

dptele and DHart like this.
  9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

What does processing power give you over the 8????

DHart likes this.
  10. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

It's quite a bit more powerful than the FXII, but I have a FXII and don't feel a need to upgrade. It's been a dream rig for me so far.

DHart likes this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My bass player uses a floor model into an FRFR powered speaker. He's always in search of perfect tone, but I swear whatever rig he uses
    he still sounds like himself. If you want to have a really, really wide variety of sounds available at your fingertips then I think these kinds
    of rigs make sense. If you are happy with a single base sound that you modify with your guitar controls and a few pedals, then I think
    the traditional route of a tradtional guitar amp makes more sense.

But if your studio work almost dictates that you get one of these rigs, then at that point it seems
    totally logical to see if you can make it also work in a live environment. No need to spend big $$ on both types of systems if you can get by with
    one. I'm sure there's lots of info available from users as to how to best create and/or modify patches so they sound good live. You typically
    have to tweak certain parameters (at least EQ) in order for a patch that sounds great into a DAW or headphones to also sound great coming out of a PA in
    a live venue.

ce24 and DHart like this.
  12. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Tone is #1 for me. And, the friendlier interface is really important. If the interface gets too complicated, it's not worth it to me.

13. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I don't need a floor version, since I'm not playing live and would just use it in my home studio. BUT, if the interface would be simpler and the cost lower - yet still offer a great range of excellent tones, perhaps I should wait for that.

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I've been using GB on the Mac. I will go have a look at sGear.

15. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

GOD! I look at all of my boutique low watt amps and pedals in my office. This topic makes me tremble. If it has the tone and user convenience. HEY, here is a question. Do you get single coil hum through these devices? Kemper? Axe-efx?

16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

For the price of a couple of bo-tique amps... :cool:

Definitely not inexpensive... but depending on other factors, perhaps economical. Certainly space efficient. :D And incredible versatility.

17. 24 track

this one also gets me alittle steamy .......
    ( 16 H-9 Maxes in one box and fully expandable , sigh..... ) excuse me I have to leave now

Feature-Image-H9000_0.jpg H9000-Rear.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  18. codamedia

Longer future in software updates. You may not see any benefits right now, but none of us know what is coming in the future... whether it's more features, higher quality models, etc... etc... Processing power ALWAYS hits it wall at some point & the AXE FX III is "better" future proofed in that department compared to it's previous version.

At $7,000 ($9,200 here in Canada) lets say it's just a tad out of my league ;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  19. 24 track

mine too , but jeez it would be fun to kick it around, and when I grow up and are rich im going to buy one (used ) i think!:lol::lol::lol:

codamedia likes this.
  20. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

I don't want to use a device that requires so much front-brain attention and thought. If I were a recording engineer or tech, sure, but I'm a musician and I don't want (or need) to work with this or any other gizmo that's all about configuration. I want to play, not fiddle with settings.

ce24 and DHart like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.