Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Found an old Vox Thomas Organ Wah for $50

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by noah330, Oct 2, 2017.

1. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    This weekend I was visiting some friends and saw a Vox Tone Bender on eBay. It was at a local pawnshop so I figured I would go down and try to buy it.

Unfortunately they wouldn't sell it for the $300 it was stickered at because it had bids(they're super rare) but the guy did say he had another broken one in the back.

Turned out it was this old wah. He wanted $70 so I offered $50. It was humming like crazy, the switch was popping and the input jack seemed to be bad. I reflowed all the solder joints this morning, cleaned the pot and really cleaned both jacks. Now it's working perfect.

I'm not a huge wah player, but it's a cool piece to own for that price!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. soul-o

soul-o Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2007
    Boston
    That's cool, but it's a areal shame about the tone bender. $300 would have been a big score for an original.

BBill64 and noah330 like this.

3. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    True! I was pissed about that but at least I got this in the process.

4. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    That's cool, I got one of those for free a few years ago that needed the same treatment.

5. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I don't care for wah, but did own one of those about thirty years ago. It sounded so much better than the then current production wah pedals. Mine had an open, airy very vocal quality to it. I don't regret getting rid of it, because wah and I don't get along well.

But if I was going to use a wah, that would be the one.

6. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Hot damn, great score, would love to find one myself. I don't use many pedals but with the current gig a wah is necessary for some of the old R&B tunes, they don't all sound great for sure but a good one does the trick.

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2008
    Tujunga California
    Was the Tone Bender an original or that RI they did some years ago?. Bought one of those RI ones when they were knew to replace my long gone silver hammertone original Vox that I shouldn't have let go, and was really let down by it. Sent it back and got an early Dunlop FF that I subsequently modded to make sound good. The RI TB (square black box) would go completely microphonic when I turned on the fuzz, the case and everything. Don't know if they were all like that, but it didn't sound like my old one anyway. Still trying to find a clone that isn't 600-800 bucks like the vintage ones now (sold mine for like $50 when fuzz fell out of fashion years back.....ouch!)
    Al

8. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Nope, this was an old one. It got away, but at least I got the wah.

9. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens
    You could probably sell that wah for a bit more than you paid, if you felt like it.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    My Tone Bender crapped out years ago, the transistors went bad. Now at the time I used it I was experimenting w circuits , so maybe I put something before it that was too hot. How are the old ones in general in terms of wearing out?. Germanium wears out just like tubes.

11. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Someone on the D*A*M forum would no doubt be able to revitalise your TB

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Cool site, thanks , but its lack of replacement transistors not knowledge that keep me from fixing it.

13. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Does the wah in the OP have the original pot? Is it scratchy at all?

Oh, I know what you mean. Still, it could be worth asking if someone has a NOS replacement transistor in their drawer or something. It's a shame such a cool fuzz is out of action.

noah330 and Teleterr like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.