Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Found 1957 Gretsch 6120 in Antique Shop Today!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by noah330, Oct 21, 2012.

1. noah330

noah330 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    So this weekend I went up to see my dad because my brother was coming home from California and I had not seen him in a while. Yesterday and last night I hung out with my brother and today I went over to my dads.

My dad and I decided to go to some consignment shops. I like to go to auctions and things like that because I like old things.

I walked into the first place and found this:

1957 Gretsch Chet Atkins 6120 (advertised as a 59 Country Gentleman)

With:

Original White Case
    Original Strap
    Original Amplifier with all tubes, speakers, footswitch, cords
    Collection of a whole bunch of Chet Atkins LPs

This guitar is dead mint. There is not a mark on it. There is some oxidation on the knobs and pickups but not so much as a hairline scratch on any of the lacquer - even on the back.

So I asked if I could play it and they let me. No neck reset - doesn't need one. The guitar evidently was "put into a closet soon after it was purchased".

I asked how much it was and my jaw hit the floor when they told me. I made an offer and they called the owner and it's mine providing I bring in cash or a bank check (as there are fees with a card).

I am a HUGE Chet Atkins fan and growing up was a huge Eddie Cochran fan (have tons of his LPs). I didn't think in these ebay/google times this sort of thing still happened!

Here are some pics - the first one is how I saw it right as I walked in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gitrhack

gitrhack TDPRI Member

Jan 15, 2011
    northern MI
    Wow what a find!! Enjoy your new guitar. Isn't this similar to Duane Eddy's guitar?

3. noah330

noah330 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah, I believe it is. The later ones had the hump inlays and Filtertrons. This is the earlier model.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2006
    Fallon, Nevada
    No kidding what a find and WOW!!

6. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 12, 2006
    Calgary, Alberta
    I was going to ask how much but I'll just say, amazing guitar + extras. Congrats.

CC

7. noah330

noah330 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    it was a heck of a lot less then from a dealer or private sale, but still a decent amount.

8. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's

You mean you're not going to tell us where it is? I just want to go see it in person..:rolleyes:... Nice find and enjoy!

9. noah330

noah330 Tele-Meister

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, it's sold. I bought it at a antiques consignment shop in Massachusetts.

10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

May 11, 2007
    Toronto
    Cool find and a close cousin of mine. Maybe even a brother or sis. Mine has a longhorn instead of the horseshoe.

Enjoy!

And possibly check out this: http://www.6120freak.com/

Cheers,
    Geoff

11. guitarbiker

guitarbiker Tele-Holic

Aug 6, 2009
    ontario
  12. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    South
    Fantastic, Congrats!

13. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    Awesome! Congratulations on a spectacular find. How does the amp sound with the guitar? Good on you for finding a gem and being able to get it. Dreams do come true! Looking forward to more posts after you have some time with it.

14. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2003
    Kittery, Maine
    Mother of God. What a score! Enjoy it man!

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 8, 2010
    Up North
    That is so sweet, my blood sugar went up just looking at it!

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Great looking guitar! congrats

17. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I love the way those guitars look, though I've never had a chance to play one.
    And those old Gretsch (Valco) amps are really cool, not real loud but some of them have the best tremolo you'll ever hear.
    Congradulations on a great purchase!

18. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    Love it! The fact that you got it at an antique store with all that and story just feels so much better too I am sure. That is one of the most beautiful guitars I have seen.

Congrats! Unreal!!!

19. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats man! There are quite a few of us living vicariously through you tonight, I am sure. Should you ever get the chance, I'd love to hear it. Plug that thing in and post a vid or soundclip!

20. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2009
    UK
    Grats, that is an awesome score!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.