Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

For those that have used or goofed with reverse delay in a live setting...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RustleFuzz, Oct 12, 2017.

1. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2007
    Nashville TN
    I have a Boss DD5 that is moving from my main board for a Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails. Instead of ditching it completely, I have been experimenting with its reverse setting for the first time, having owned it for upwards of 20 years. Thinking about keeping it on for this effect. I have found it seems most useful with slower legato playing. Some general questions:

1. Would you place it before or after a regular use delay to get the most out of it? Or no other delay at the same time?

2. What settings do you find most realistic for the effect live?

3. The DD5 reverse does not let you mix the original signal out of the reverse mode (like the DD6 or DD7). Do you find this beneficial for live situations, or a hindrance?

I know I won't use this effect much, but thought it could be cool sometimes for something different if useable. Here are the settings I have found so far that seem to work best:
    IMG_0677.JPG

2. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I use two different settings for a reverse delay: one with a long reverb (750 ms), 3-4 repeats and a slight modulation for slow ballads (Lilac WIne, Walking In The Sand) with a Red Panda Raster.

The second is a short reverse delay of about 150 - 175 ms and around 6,7 repeats for a more "jingly" sound with a TC Nova Delay.
    I used it a couple of times for our coverversions of Pixies' Where Is My Mind and Once In A Lifetime from Talking Heads.
    I use it with a bit of reverb for the longer one, but usually I find reverse pretty much a stand-alone-effect.
    If I'd be playing with a second guitarist or a keyboarder, I'd probably leave it with the reverse delay only and less repeats.
    I also have a sort of 30/70 ratio effect/original signal, I find the sound gets muddied with a higher effect-ratio.

RustleFuzz likes this.

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    If you can't take the non-effected signal out, I would say it's not even the same effect. One is kind of a slightly weird delay, the other is like a backwards tape thing.

RustleFuzz likes this.

4. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2007
    Nashville TN
    Thanks guys. Ya the DD5 definitely does not let you mix out the dry signal, unless you mod the pedal. Then the way I understand it, you either get the stock sound or without dry signal completely.

5. robotguitar

robotguitar Tele-Holic

Dec 29, 2009
    visalia, CA
    When I used it live I took the mix out completely and had to play one 4 instead of 1, but that was the whole point of the effect for us.

RustleFuzz likes this.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I never could find a use for that feature. I commend you for trying.

RustleFuzz likes this.

7. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    BTO Blue Collar. Groovy.

RustleFuzz likes this.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I think I've read the same thing, but have you actually tried sticking a dummy plug in the panning output? How about using just the panning output?

I know it's supposed to pan, but manufacturers sometimes label things weird.

By the way, on a DM-3 you can get just an effected signal from the main out if you stick a dummy plug in the other out.

RustleFuzz likes this.

9. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 8, 2004
    Indiana
    Only use is to drive the wife crazy

RustleFuzz likes this.

10. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I recently purchased a Digitech Obscura 'tape' delay pedal, mainly because it also featured a 'reverse delay'... but after trying to use it a few times, I just found it, well, unsatisfying. Just gimmicky and weird, and not in a good way. (I traded it towards the Catalinbread Belle Epoch I'd really wanted all along.)

RustleFuzz likes this.

11. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2007
    Nashville TN
    Radiocaster I will try that this weekend, interesting and a good point! Fearnot I have a Belle Epoch on a smaller board and love it. What's interesting about the BE to me, is just as Catalinbread suggests, to me it sounds better in the front of the chain...first in the chain or close to it. I had a hard time putting it there, thinking no way it would be better...but it was! As far as reverse in general, to see if it can fit as a special effect that doesn't sound gimmicky or goofy is my current experiment. In the past I have felt the same, which is part of the reason I've never really tried to use it. Thought maybe it was just user error or lack of patience, but it seems there is not a whole lotta love in general for the setting, regardless of device. I'm going to keep trying for the moment...

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    ^^^Same here; my Belle Epoch is in front of my dirt pedals too.

RustleFuzz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.