For the new car paranoid.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 24, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I recall the news about the ships, and have been aware of your local GPS receiver not having an encryption or security schema but I haven't been losing sleep over it. Knowing the scale and costs with accidents and transportation issues, I have thought problems might be like others we know such as payment and security breeches or utilities outages. They occur but they're not a leading cause of death and injury - something better transportation systems aim to fix.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/06/claims-of-tesla-hack-wide-of-the-mark-we-dig-into-gnss-hacking/

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

People typically don't die on impact from payment security breaches. I don't like to think what could happen with a breach on a transportation 'smart' grid. *shudder*

I'm not the paranoid type (ok, not the psychotic kind, anyway), but I can't help but fear for the future of automated transportation. People seem dumber about cars the more advance and 'safe' they get. My wife argue with me with stats, but I've yet to be convinced. Kinda like the research that suggest putting new tires on the back instead of front. Sorry, but I just can't hang with that. :p

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I heard an interesting warning the other day on the radio... it was talking about the self driving portion of some cars and the warning was 'note you must have both hands on the wheel and control your vehicle something like when the lanes are not clearly marked.... I have a relative working on the driverless car and he says that when there is no marking on the passenger side of the lane, the cars get confused...

growing pains... I'll bet we lose far fewer people than, say, the construction of the Hoover Dam.

jimash, Torren61 and imwjl like this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm interested in this tech, but I gotta say that if I need to have both hands on the wheel and constantly pay attention in case the computer gets confused, then I'm basically drivin...

5. getbent

read closely. ONLY when the lanes aren't marked... average freeway or main thoroughfares are marked...

6. Jupiter

yep, until they aren't for that one stretch, or the paint's old, or there's a puddle, or they're putting in a new intersection that's not painted yet, or yer on I-5 and there's perennial construction.

Man, I ALWAYS read your stuff closely!

7. getbent

growing pains! can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs.... we ought to assign driverless cars to convicted drunk drivers and DISABLE the drive feature... somebody has to do the shake down!

8. Whatizitman

If an entire generation of drivers have no idea how to use a clutch and stick shift, how on earth can we hope future "drivers" of automated vehicles can take over the wheel in an emergency?

william tele and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't want a driverless car and I will resent being forced into purchasing one when they inevitably outlaw my car and force me into replacing it with their latest offering which will conveniently make those involved a tidy profit while forcing millions into further debt.

Telecaster88 and rigatele like this.
  10. Jupiter

fair enough!

Just wake me up when you don't have to wake me up anymore

william tele likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

So, basically every driveway, parking lot, alleyway, residential street, and back road everywhere. Got it.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I'm no expert, but the Pied Piper attack seems much simpler to pull off than something on the scale of the 2015 Ukraine power outage. That's just in terms of feasibility though; in terms of actually causing some sort of havoc, if other car safety systems are in place, and the attacker presumably does not have access to these, I would guess the car is still safe even if it is in the wrong place? That doesn't sound right... maybe I need to read up more on that exploit.

I want to see that on Mr. Robot! :D

13. Whatizitman

Convicted drunk drivers, eh? Hmmm. That includes not a few current congress members. I like where this is going.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Driverless cars are the worst idea ever.

spellcaster and howardlo like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There were under a hundred deaths in building the Hoover Dam. I'm betting the driverless cars gonna go right by that in a hurry.

nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Encapsulating yourself in a box full of batteries and sensors doesn't sound very healthy or environmentally friendly to me. The emissions created while you are forced to work more to pay for this latest tech will also be astronomical when they inevitably force the new car purchase on the entire population.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Compared to the way I see some imbeciles driving, I’ll take my chances with autonomous driving cars in the future.

PacificChris, Lemonwurst and getbent like this.
  18. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

jimash likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

What I wanna know, who gonna roll down da window when you fart?! :eek:

20. Chunkocaster

I'm going the other way. My next vehicle purchase will be a solid 70's f250 with a old school v8. I like to be able to drive defensively and fix my own vehicle if required. Not be off the road because a sensor crapped out. Not be a sitting target and spend my time working to replace stuff that doesn't need replacing.

Rustbucket and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.