Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

For sale: Musical instrument thingy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telesphere, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker TDPRI Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Aynor, S.C.
    Barefeet!!! Ugggg! Same way with people who ride in a car with their feet up on the dashboard. Can't stand it. Not even sure why. Some Freudian hang up, I'm sure. Haha

nojazzhere likes this.

2. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    Another thing about pics of guitars I detest, is when people think it's acceptable to rip the duvet off their bed and place a guitar they're trying to entice you to buy, on their crummy bed sheets. Sorry, pal, you just lost another potential buyer.

If you're going to lay it down flat on something, get out on the grass, you've got more light outside anyway, and hopefully more chance of getting it in focus. In focus? What's that?

3. titan uranus

titan uranus TDPRI Member

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    Do you want ants?

Because this is how we get ants.

Bruxist and grooveiron like this.

4. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I convinced a teenager to knock $50 of the price of his CV '50s Strat because the hardware looked really worn. He didn't realize that it was "vintage look" hardware and was supposed to look like that.
    I don't feel bad about it, at all.

5. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    So, if a nice Tele was for sale at a great price, you would let the seller's taste in bed sheets prevent you from buying the guitar.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

It wouldn't stop me, but the rumpled sheets look is a bit too post-coital for me. <prude smilie/>

troy2003 and kelnet like this.

7. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    It's not the style of their bed-sheets that's the issue; I couldn't care less what colour or design they are - it's the fact that they've laid it among their dead skin cells, pubes and other unspecified bodily detritus. It just creeps me out. What's in a bed should stay in a bedroom and not be for public viewing.

src9000 likes this.

8. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Good lord. How rarely do you wash your sheets? :)

9. brobar

brobar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Note to self... don't mention in my ad all the times I've played my butterscotch blonde tele naked... telesphere won't purchase if I do. What he doesn't know know won't hurt him though! =)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    grooveiron likes this.

10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    That makes me think of this friend I had in high school who had owned an MIM strat for about 4 years, and never changed the strings. So I offered to change his strings for him and his dad was so mad he though I was going to ruin the guitar by replacing the strings and almost didn't let him come over. I'm thinking...I change my strings every month.

Dismalhead likes this.

11. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    Haha! Exactly, Brobar. But there's no suggestion of that in pics if they're on a stand, or leaning against a wall, unlike on a bed.

Anyway, this thread has taken a turn from its original course, so ill try steer it back on track.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2010
    selden, ny
    Reminds me a a few years back, on EBay a guy was selling a guitar and took the photos while he was naked....and you could clearly see him on the back of the shiny Grover tuners.

Steve Holt likes this.

13. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    An update on this: With no further responses on the thread, I was waiting until my cash reserve reloaded (I unexpectedly bought 2 Strat rescue jobs earlier in the week :eek:) before making an offer on this Tele. However, today there was another guy asking questions about it. Not wanting to risk losing it, having already made plans for what I'm going to do with it, I made an offer and it's been accepted! Have to wait now for a PM to arrange payment and then carriage/delivery.

14. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    In the Telesphere
    It's mine! Arrived yesterday and I'm very happy with it. As first thought, it is an Affinity, manufactured in China, 2010. The nut, if you'd like to know, seeing as it prompted the thread in the first place, is not an 8mm hole with a hex nut, it is the usual Affinity series 40mm. For the sake of accuracy, I measured the truss rod hole and it's a mere 6mm. He lied to me, dammit!

Having given it a look over, it seems obvious why he would want to sell it, as it was not set up at all. Bad up bow in the neck and no sign of any attempt at intonation. However, a few turns of the truss rod, a 5mm, rather than 4mm, and the neck is looking fine. The strings are DOA, and I don't have any spare at the moment, so I'll have to wait to get some before I bother with intonation. The pots are full size, not mini, but the switch is the expected enclosed unit, which I aim to change out first, followed by the pots if needed.

For a 7 year old guitar, it's got an expected few nicks and dings here and there on the body, but thankfully none on the neck. With the lack of setup in mind, in all likelihood it wasn't played a whole lot because it probably didn't feel too good or sound too good. The same guy has also got an ad for an Epiphone SG and 10W amp, so he's had more than one go at finding something he wants to play. He's not lost a whole lot on it, financially, but his loss is my gain, but while he sold a 'dodgy cheap' guitar I've now got myself a 'decent inexpensive' one in very good condition for €100.

My aim is to turn it into a Keef Micawber themed Tele, but not slavishly so. This is one of the reasons why the 40mm nut width was not a concern to me, as it's going to be tuned to open G, I'm not going to be playing standard open chords on the low frets. A couple of mm at the nut will make no odds when I'm barring up and down the neck. An inexpensive - that word again - PAF humbucker for the neck, with a bit of routing, and whatever recommendations I get for a hot bridge pup. While mentioning the bridge, it's a toploader, so a string-through mod is a must.

The colour is darker than I expected for what's listed as butterscotch blonde - much darker. Definitely a carrot redhead rather than blonde! I'll post pictures as and when. So I may just take it back to bare wood and aim for a closer match. But that's a decision for a bit down the road, not before I've played it a little and seeing what else it needs or doesn't.

From having no Teles just a few weeks ago, I've now got two! This place is certainly having an influence! :cool:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Bruxist likes this.

15. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Don't forget "so dark you can't tell what color it is, especially since the color isn't listed in the ad"

16. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

Why is it you always see crappy guitars for sale missing strings (usually the unwound ones)?

Like posting for sale pics of a car with flat tires.

And I love the misspellings! From CL in Appalachia, Epifany gitar, Finder Start, base guitar, etc.

LiteAsh likes this.

17. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Strings are a big deal. Hang out in a music store and check out all the people who bring guitars in for a broken string...and to be tuned.
    When I was a kid, regular old suburban dads would be out in the driveway changing plugs/points/condenser and setting timing.
    Now most probably can't change a guitar string.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.