Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

For sale: Musical instrument thingy

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telesphere, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Last night, I saw an ad for a cheap Squier Affinity Tele on a forum, and having seen varying mentions of the nut being bigger than the usual 40mm Affinity size, decided to ask the seller...

Hi, can you tell me what width the nut is, please?

This morning I received a reply...

It looks like an 8mm hole with a hexagon bolt!

Well, I've nearly shat myself laughing. Given the response, it's hardly surprising they're selling it. They haven't really got 'into it' have they?

No doubt there are plenty more stories of people selling all sorts of stuff they haven't got a clue about. Let's hear yours.

titan uranus, ftbtx, TigerG and 2 others like this.

2. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've always wondered why it's called a nut?.... that thing at the far end of the neck that holds the strings separate from each other...

I suppose it has to have some name... though, if I was asked to name it.. I doubt the word nut would enter my mind...

funny that...:confused:

TheBadHombre likes this.

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 12, 2008
    Houston
    You made me wonder, so I researched in the laziest possible way.

Though not definitive, this from Wikipedia:

Etymology[edit]
    The word may have come from the German Nut (pronounced "noot"), meaning groove or slot. The nut, however, is called a de:Sattel ("saddle"; also Obersattel) in German, whereas the part of a guitar known as the saddle in English, the surface of the bridge on which the strings rest, is called a de:Stegeinlage or Steg, in German. In French, the nut is known as a fr:sillet, which, like German, can also translate to mean saddle. The Italian term, capo tasto (or capotasto; "head of fretboard"), is the origin of the capo.

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

For sale :
    Directional guitar cables

LiteAsh and troy2003 like this.

5. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    down every road
    A friend of mine, while shopping for a piano, showed me an ad he found on CL which read simply: "Wooden piano, with wheels", and stated the price.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've used them pedals on the piano and they don't go anywhere. I need a piano with wheels.

LiteAsh and drf64 like this.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I would have been tempted to reply "I'm a 42 regular. Are you looking to trade for a suit jacket?"

LiteAsh likes this.

8. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Haha! Speaking of trading, there's an option on the 'create new ad' page that clearly states 'NO SWAPS!' and still, you see people asking 'are you interested in a trade for my crappy worn out XYZ-123, or anything else I'm selling on my other ads?

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Guy who sold me my MIM Strat had lowered the price to $150 since it had a broken string.

LiteAsh, jaybones, nojazzhere and 2 others like this.

11. Telesphere

Telesphere Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2005
    The Telesphere
    Oh wow! How much was an MiM at the time?

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    It was just a couple of years ago, so $250 - $300. Great guitar too. Use it all the time.

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 11, 2010
    Montana
    At least you only had to replace one!

rz350, nojazzhere and aerhed like this.

14. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I’ve seen ads for a guitar or bass that says something like “just tuned”

Dismalhead and Telecasterless like this.

15. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    Just seen on my local Craigslist. A “purple Ibaness base”. Whatever that is.

16. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I saw a CL ad that said something like "Gibson Les Paul. Nuff said." and had no pics.

17. BigDaddyLH

I prefer them tuned at the factory ;)

18. BigDaddyLH

And can we talk a minute about bad photos? Sideways, blurry and bare feet included o_O

troy2003 and Tele Slacker like this.

19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I once bought a 1929 Indian 101 Scout.
    The old woman whose barn it was in just shook her head and said, "I don't know what you want that old thing for. The tires are flat and the leather's rotted off the seat."
    And it is amazing how many guitar ads can be really in depth...new Mr. Peabody's Wayback wiring harness, knobs with the correctly-shaped "6", Big Dude's lightly-aged pick guard screws, FRESH SET OF GHS 9's."
    Oh, boy!
    Fresh strings!

20. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Humorous, but understandable.

Nice cheap, affordable guitar. Might be safe to assume it is a beginner guitar for someone. I know when I was a beginner... all I cared about was did the thing make noise and halfway stay in tune while I played some Smoke On The Water. In my first 6 months to a year of playing, if someone asked me what a nut, pot, truss rod or saddle was, I probably would have been like "huh?"

We were all beginners at some point. Thankfully not all of us stay beginners.

Steve Holt and nojazzhere like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.