Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

FMIC's financial woes

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied

2. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Yep - too many models, too much confusion in the brand.

3. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They've started manufacturing Fenders (not Squiers) in China. This will either save them or finish them off. I don't think it will dilute their brand to the point that somebody considering a U.S.-built Fender wouldn't buy a $1,200+ guitar, but (I've said this before) I find the fit and finish on Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Squiers to be better than the Blacktop and Modern Player guitars.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TheWalkingWounded

TheWalkingWounded Tele-Meister

There's definitely a ton. Could it be that Fender keeps expanding their line in an effort to minimize business lost to the partscaster industry?

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I dont give a jot about Fender.....they paid to use the shape and the name nothing more , nothing less.....Absolutely nothing to do with Fullerton or old Leo anyway. Why should I care anything about them......

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

No they don't make too many models. Let's ask the question: which customer do you want, the guy who buys a guitar and plays it for 30 years....or the guy who likes all kinds of different models and buys new guitars amps every year?

The biggest problem facing them is they have a lot of debt because they bought too many failing brands at too high a price.

They need to really start thinking about offering better value to their customers instead of looking for better profit.

If you look at the models they have been introducing it is about lowest cost to them. Baja new colors.....Black and Sunburst, so you don't need to buy new paint. The new American Standard gets the pickups from the Baja.

I think they really need to decide what the "Fender" brand will mean. I don't see how you can sell $400 Made in China Fenders and $4000+ Custom Shop Fenders.

Dom Perrignon doesn't sell wine coolers in 7-11 and McDonalds doesn't sell aged Filet Mignons.

8. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Way too many models IMO. I could go on for days...

There is also some drama happening with Guitar Center, which may also figuring into Fender's game here. With the recent failed IPO, You do have to wonder why Fender would be stretching the company so thinly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/08/idUSWNA678920120508

9. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I know I'll get flamed on this one:.....but here goes:

Discontinue all Mexican and Chinese Fenders.

The first thing that will do is GC and everybody else will sell out of inventory
    very quickly.

When they restock Fender can re-introduce the HWY 1 Series as the lowest priced
    Fender.

Fender's Ensenada plant can be used for Squier,Guild, Jackson etc.

10. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I think all their competitors will like this plan.

11. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

It seems to me that Fender is making some of the right moves.. right now there's a need for good quality, low cost guitars. The recent Indonesian VM Jazzmaster and Jaguars seemed to have been a huge success, as was the Chinese Classic Vibe before.. how many of Fender's American lines are selling out like this?

12. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

My guess is that all these Asian imports like Squier and Modern Player are keeping Fender alive and to rely on US made models is suicide for a major international manufacturer like Fender .The market has changed and many just wont pay US made prices or more important can't .Kids will buy Ibanez or Yamaha if Fender go upmarket ,We may have fallen in love with Jimis strat or Hanks strat but todays kids havnt .They will buy whats cool but also what is a good price .A US made Fender isnt a good price for that huge pile of humanity that is called the rest of the world and a young Chinese guitarist may well be far more proud of his MIC Strat than any US version .

13. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Didnt guitar center, or the owner of guitar center, buy them out last year.

14. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

JMO, but I think it is bad marketing to label something "Made in the USA" and charge more for it when it really isn't any better than a non MIUSA.

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but...

15. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

I think gibson has proved as of late that it isn't impossible to put out an american made guitar in the under 500 dollar price range. What the last batch of melody makers were pretty easy to come by for like 300? All set neck, nitro finish, and pretty basic electronics. Why can't fender make similar strat and tele models in like 3 colors, red,white,and blue and call it a day. The fact they have bolt on necks alone should make it a reasonable assumption that production costs could be the same if not lower than what gibson was putting out for the MM. but then again I may be completely off the mark with what seems to be the trend of what is selling these days, which is not spartan workhorse guitars but unique specialized guitars that all set themselves apart somehow

16. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

I agree. Too much. They need to scale back and do what they do best. Making their best models and making them here in the US. People won't mind paying for quality. It's what made Fender great in the first place.

17. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

They sure ain't gettin my money any time soon..........I don't see myself buying any Fender guitars made after the 70s. I like vintage, and partscasters.

18. willspear

willspear Tele-Holic

The curiosity is what will come of Bain and guitar center. People forget that guitar center houses a host of retail operations such as musicians friend.

Around April could get very interesting when that payment is due.

I think fender is on a good path with guild and gretsch now.

19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Ibanez is now selling a Made in Indonesis Jem for $1400, so US Fenders are a great value.

FMIC has Squier, Jackson, Charvel, Gretsch,Guild to compete with the Ibanez and Yamaha etc..

The problem is all the Chinese suppliers will become competitors to Fender.
    You can't sell a $300 Fender to the Chinese kid, he will buty the counterfeit coming out the back door that says MIA in it.

Fender should become the Flagship in FMIC's stable of brands.

The problem with chasing the low end is you are competing with the thousands of used MIM Fenders out their.

If you target the beginner the problem is most guitarists don't stick with it, so most of these guitars end up being re-sold at steeply discounted prices. The other problem is so many people with the MIM Fenders upgrade them with DiMarzio, Duncan,D.Allen, Callaham ,Rutters parts instead of trading up.

The one thing FMIC can't do is turn their flagship brand into commodity product which happens when you chase the low end.

20. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Fender was created as a low cost alternative to expensive "real" instruments and I would wager most of their profits are coming from that right now. From what I know of other companies I expect the imports are the bread and butter and the USA models are more for the showroom and PR.

I don't think the appeal to nationalism will help them either. People like to chant USA but the flags they wave while doing it are for the most part made in China because it's cheaper.

21. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I think we're coming from the same side here on using the US label to imply quality and increase price but I would say it's awesome marketing.
    :mrgreen:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.