Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Fly fishing Lakes different?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jun 29, 2013.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Is fly fishing lakes different?

I am a super novice, but, I threw terrestrial patterns, and spiders
    and nothing.

Put on my spinning wheel with little beetle spin, and caught some gills
    and crappies.

Do you have to cast a fly...let it sit long time...

did I do anything wrong...maybe I just have gone wet with a bobber???

2. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    You can use the same flies as you use on a river, letting them sit or you can use streamers which imitate small baitfish and use it to cover more water by swimming it along.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    You'll want to probably forego the hip waders in favor of a boat...

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    A streamer should have worked if casting a spinner worked.

You could say lake and river fishing are the same in that you have to have the right presentation and be where the fish are.

6. Jadguitar

Jadguitar Tele-Meister

Jun 18, 2011
    AZ
    I like to fish scuds, nymphs etc under a strike indicator. Or streamers. Remember you don't have to get it out all that far.

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Watch the hatch, it's what they're eating.

8. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2013
    Banner Elk, NC
    Go deep with a long leader and a wet fly like a wooly bugger. I have caught some amazing smallmouth just going slower at the start and letting it sink, then putting some action on the retrieve. If there's bluegills and crappies their big brother bass are probably close by. Muddler minnows are nice in betweens for streamer types as well. Wooly buggers are still my all time favorite fly for any circumstance. My two cents...

9. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Yes. In fly fishing you kinda want to make your fly do what the real thing would do: float innocently (drag free & light leader) if a dry fly, dart if a minnow (streamer or buck tail), look like a fly dropping, rising or emerging in nymph form, drop from a tree or bank if an ant or hopper, and so on.

And then are the times the biggest fish on earth takes your dry fly when you screw up your cast & it splashes behind you, or hammers a dry fly that is wet & bedraggled during a retrieve.

It is kind of up to the fish & you'll eventually sink to the level where you think like a fish & you'll catch them. Unfortunately when we get as dumb as fish they then begin to outsmart us.

Keep at it & for still water a sunk & moved Muddler or Leech etc is pretty good. Poppers are fun on the surface.

10. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Thx all above

I think I know a wooly bugger, not streamer though.

Do you have to keep moving a bugger, or do they think it is real. Do I have to
    tip it with a maggot?

11. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Almost made me puke.
    Dry fly you let it sit.
    All the others you pretty much have to keep moving

12. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    thx
    Maggies are great for gills..you can call the bee larvae...sound nicer...lol

I did not think you use bait with it..I was just guessing..

13. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Yes, you look at the water, examine it, to see what is emerging, what is rising and swimming towards the shore to hatch into adults, little wriggly things e.g. dragonfly larvae, so you would fish a big brown nymph with a fairly fast retrieve just under the surface. Alternatively flies dancing over the water laying eggs, use a matching dry fly.

But importantly you want to look at where they are doing this, rowing out into the middle of a lake and splashing about with a big wooden plug is not going to work if the hatch is under the trees around the shore.

I like trees. I've caught several trees, and a cow. Then I learnt to do a vertical cast with my back to a tree, to lift the line off the water straight up in the air and then knock it forwards, it doesn't go far but it goes where I want the fly. Side cast under branches. There's an art to it.

14. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

May 1, 2012
    Prescott AZ
    Bait on a fly?!? Bite your tongue.

15. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2010
    Hartlepool, UK.
    It's a complicated thing to get started on but if I were you, I'd book a session with a pro guide if such people exist in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    Wisconsin, USA
    It's slow compared to video or a guide, but you can also get classic books, and join some clubs. I learned pre-VCR, pre-DVD, pre-youtube and had a lot of pleasure with classic books.

I was aware of Ray Bergman's Trout, had an old copy lent to me, and then found an original book he did with other species from the 1930s.

Of course anything that does the job but it's a sport full of ritual and the old books are full of wisdom that still applies and they're amazing pieces of work whether that's the writing, illustrations or consideration of the history.

Speaking lf lake fishing, here's my friend with a streamer we call "The Badger". Fly fishing for musky is fun, and should be your ultimate goal.

[​IMG]

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    One of the great things about fly fishing is all of the outstanding books written about it.

18. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    nice musky...freshwater barracuda

Have dozens of books on fly fishing...most of them are on journeys or
    how to cast...or tie a fly..

not on application (pond vs lake) vs crappie vs bluegill.
    I know not to try for catfish with a wet fly...lol

19. allen082

allen082 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2009
    fort worth
    I like to use poppers and I've had a lot of luck using crickets I've tied. It's about all I use if I'm on a pond. Works great for crappie, smallmouth, and panfish.

20. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

Nov 27, 2007
    Maine
    Don't know what kind of lake or pond you're on. In Maine we have lots of smaller ponds with nothing but brook trout in them that are regulated as fly fishing only, and most of the action tends to come really early in the morning or around sunset.

21. uriah1

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    cricket fly...I will have to find one of those...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.