Fly fishing camp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Now you're hooked! (Can't believe I made that horrible joke, but there it is...)

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Nobody burned down your he-shed Uriah1 !

Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve been out once more on the same stream. Much nicer day but strangely enough less activity until the little brookies really started going after a Gray Fox Variant. I know there are good sized brook trout in there but I couldn’t entice them outta their comfort spots with a Wooly Bugger. [​IMG][​IMG]

It’s raining a bit but I’m gonna go check out another small stream that’s more of a brown trout haven, just to see what’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

beautiful. What river ..? We were on Boardman. Should meet up sometime . Browns. Wow that is like dream fish. !! Any fish is to me now. :)

Greggorios likes this.
  5. uriah1

Wooly bugger. When do you use. What does it imitate. I’m into bugs now. !!

Lake Placid Blue and Greggorios like this.
  6. dkmw

Oh boy, here we go! Go ahead and start shopping for a vise, a bobbin, a cr@pload of hooks, threads, fur, and feathers. Tying is half the fun, as our group of enablers will tell you:eek:

7. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

That seems really cool. I live on the Gulf Coast, so it's mostly saltwater for me. I've hooked into pretty much everything that lives in the Gulf of Mexico. I've caught lots of things with large teeth that will eat you. I've never fly-fished a shallow cool water creek before though. I'd love to try it one day.

Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  8. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I love the simplicity of fly fishing. Waders, vest and rod and reel. Nothing much to carry.

Have had great fun on the AuSable and Manastee rivers in the Grayling, Mi. area.

But a whole lot of fun can also be had just catching panfish on with a 4 or 5 pound rod. Just the process of casting is also fun and somehow relaxing.

I do other fishing with casting and spinning reels, but enjoy using fly rods far more.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Ivorytooth, Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  9. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Short version I once caught a bat.

Long version ...

Not really fly fishing ... but sorta .... long ago ... early 80s ... we were rigging up some catfish lines along the shore. We'd catch small sunfish for bait using tiny little grubs that one could barely cast .. kinda had to use fly fishing methods. We could see the ripples on the water in the moon light as the little grubs landed and feel the sunfish start to run with them.

Well on one cast I never saw the ripples but felt a tug ... wasn't sure what to make of it, but I began to reel it in. As it got closer I saw some strange looking ripples on the water ... at first I thought maybe turtle or maybe snake. But when it got close enough to see, it was a little brown bat, must have picked off the grub in the air.

As I was trying to figure out how to safely get it off the hook, it climbed up on a rock then reach up with it's wing claw and pulled the hook out and flew off.

True story.

Lake Placid Blue, Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm the guy who paddles through the rapid in a kayak, doing his best not to disturb you while you're fishing.

When you cut a tree to fall into the creek to create "habitat", I'm the guy who clears it away so boaters can pass through.

We're supposed to all be on the same side. I think we can do it. :^)

+

My maternal grandfather worked too many hours, but he tried to get me started by buying me the whole fly fishing shebang. But I knew nobody who could teach me anything and over time, I'd trashed the stuff pretty badly. I think that disappointed my grandfather more than anything else I did or didn't do. But I also don't understand why he didn't tell the Company Owner he needed a week off so he could teach me. Maybe his skill sets were mostly gone by then - I don't really know. A missed opportunity.

uriah1 likes this.
  11. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congrats Uriah! Catching on your first time out is no small feat. Don't worry about the fly line in your teeth thing. Beginning fly fishing makes contortionists of everyone. (Standing on one foot on top of a boulder in the middle of the stream, trying to hold onto all your gear while trying to free your last fly from the tree branches for the 3rd time that morning...etc.)

TU is a great organization with lot's of good works. Can't go wrong with those guys.

uriah1 likes this.
  12. Greggorios

It's a "wet fly" (fished under the surface) that is tied to imitate sort of a small generic bait fish that trout/bass/others will strike. When you wet this fly in the stream or a glass of water you'll see the feathers/fur get slick and stick together forming a very realist, quivery, moving silouette of a small fish. My favorites were always black/olive colored "buggers". They seem to catch when many other flies won't. It's kind of a "jeep" of wet flies; very generic and utilitarian. I'd keep a few of different sizes/colors in my fly box.

You're about to learn more about flies, bugs, larva and fish than you ever thought possible...:)

upload_2019-6-10_10-59-12.jpeg

uriah1 and Stubee like this.
  13. dkmw

Ahhh, the simplicity of fly fishing. I too, love to wade fish; but it’s on flats and in mangrove jungles in the Keys or Bahamas. I’d like to think it was simple, but when I really thought about it, or thought I was truly prepared, it ended up not so simple. I’ve got on all this technical clothing to keep me cool and shielded from UV, and a tropics vest that has enough stuff in it to do anything short of building a new rod, as well as snacks and water.

Then there’s the things hung around my neck. One day I realized that I had, 1) a pair of top-notch polarized sunglasses on a croakie, 2) a pair of reading glasses (for tying knots) on a mono loop, 3) a bandana to keep sun of my neck, 4) another loop dangling nippers for trimming knots, and 5) a single-use waterproof camera on yet another loop.

One time I tried get the camera up to shoot a pic, everything got tangled, and I thought I was going to strangle myself.

Stubee, Greggorios and howardlo like this.
  14. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Flyfishing Rocks!!!!
    Been doing it with my wife since 1980. She enjoys the casting, and especially enjoys not having to deal with bait (use that at the Oregon coast.......). As has already been said, she likes catching even small fish because a fly rod makes them feel like Tarpon.......

Its funny....... Not one mention of "The Curtis Creek Manifesto" by Sheridan Anderson. Absolutely one of THE BEST books about learning flyfishing. It's sort of written in cartoon form, and has been one of the best gifts I've given to numerous folks that have expressed an interest in flyfishing.

"A River Runs Through It". What a mixed blessing that movie was when it came out. Before that movie, my wife and I often had long stretches of the Deschutes River practically to ourselves on weekends. After the movie was released, we noticed a lot more folks on the river, mostly yuppies.

15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My understanding is it imitates a leech.
    Fish can be very picky or not at all
    Chernobyl ant , my first cast with one of those I caught a trout
    FFF00D3F-F6E0-4158-A785-A2C6A2FB78EF.jpeg

Black bear green butt , salmon fly but I only caught trouts with it
    C847B9B5-9B06-45E7-85DD-8B62CB4BB5FA.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 7:03 AM
    Greggorios likes this.
  16. uriah1

Nice !!!
    The bug person told me they mainly use terrestials in late summer. When did you use ant?

17. Greggorios

Yup, been there too. Not as suave and sophisticated as the glossy color photos in the magazines. I think these guys are models. More like the 2nd pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rcole_sooner, uriah1 and dkmw like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I used the ant beginning of August

19. dkmw

I used to be one of those guys along for the photo shoots. It’s gotten out of hand now.

We had so many tricks for getting those pics, it’s all trade secrets though:lol:

uriah1 and Greggorios like this.
  20. Greggorios

Absolutely, most people don't realize that "selfies" were invented by fly fishermen/women trying to make minnows look like Moby Dick.

uriah1 and dkmw like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.