Fly fishing camp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth TDPRI Member

Just don't get the Deet on your waders (breathable) or flyline.

howardlo, Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  2. bendingtens

bendingtens Tele-Holic

I've been fly fishing for 25 years with my father, and it's been the best bonding experience ever.

We even built our own bamboo fly rods - there's a great weeklong class taught at the fly fishing museum in Roscoe, New York.

Here are a couple of fish I caught years ago: a big rainbow in Alaska, and a Steelhead in upstate New York. Alaska.jpg ALANSTEELGREAT.jpg

3. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Oh, fly fishing is the BEST!
    I decided to dip my toe in, but I loved it so much it didnt take long at all to snowball...lol
    Something about it is just SO much more rewarding than standard rod/reel fishing, and particularly when you make a nice catch on a fly you've tied yourself!
    Fly *tying* is a whole other art unto itself...as is casting a fly line for that matter.

Alas, if you're a gear junkie, as a lot of guitarists are....oh boy...yet another fascinating rabbit hole to explore.
    You know, so ya' may as well go ahead and get your Cabela's and Orvis catalogs on order...
    I am *ATE* up!
    :)
    Kayaking or Pontooning a river to fly fish for trout is really just about the best thing there is!

Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Trying lemon grass

Greggorios and Ivorytooth like this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I spray my hat, ears, back of my head and maybe a tiny bit on the back of my hands. Been using DEET for years, still have some old Ben’s 100% but that stuff melts fly line.

When I night fished for browns a lot the best nights were the hottest, muggiest, stillest and most bug ridden. I’d often walk down to a favorite cedar tree near dark, then sit under it drinking a beer & smoking a cigarette until night fell completely and the first “slurps” started. I also carried cigars but still got bit. That DEET on the back of my hands was near useless after I released the first fish. If I pointed my little flashlight straight up you’d see a thick cloud of swirling mosquitoes as far as the light penetrated.

It was heavenly. I haven’t seriously night fished for browns since my friend died and I know my old haunts are likely not so good, but I hope to give it a whirl again.

Matt G, uriah1, aerhed and 1 other person like this.
  6. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Good Call !!

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

upload_2019-6-5_12-13-35.jpeg

This was my bible when I first got started.

uriah1 and Stubee like this.
  8. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

I spent twice on one Hardy 4 wt Zenith Sintrex fly rod new, which is made out of almost nothing, compared to all the material and electronics, switches and knobs on my used 1999 MIM Telecaster in Midnite wine. Fly fished a bunch in my 40's and 50's. IMHO, if you like trout and cutthroat fishing and you want to fish rivers, nothing beats fishing a tailwater fishery, right below a dam where the water is well aerated and it's a bug food factory on a conveyor belt, right to the fishes mouth and belly. Think Montana, Idaho, Yellowstone NP, maybe a little bit of Colorado.

Casting is not important, learn how to do short roll casts, while in waders, in the river, where the fish are, and fish down and dirty, on the bottom with nymphs, weight, and a strike indicator.

Learn your bugs, and how to tie 'em up in the right size, profile and color, of the bugs you're matching. Again, size, profile, color, in order of importance.

If you want to fish for a bigger trout, come to the Pacific Coast in season, when you get better at fly fishing, and try the ultimate.... Steelhead fishing. Be forewarned it's very, very addictive.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    uriah1 likes this.
  9. Bangdapoontwang

Bangdapoontwang Tele-Meister

Wow, didn’t realize there were so many Fly folks on here. If any of you make it to Oahu Hawaii look me up, I do some guiding for Bonefish on the flats. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt G, uriah1, dkmw and 3 others like this.
  10. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I know your neighborhood. Grab a cooler, tie on a white miller, wait until dark and go hit some bridges.

uriah1 and Stubee like this.
  11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nice! I’d like to try that someday, maybe. I do a lotta spin fishing in NW FL during the spring and a guy from Ontario showed up for the first time last year. He had a handmade plywood boat and a couple fly rods. He fished maybe as much as me (Friends there call me an addict) and caught everything on flies.

My friend Marty doesn’t really fish fresh water at all—which puzzles me—but does do one or two flats trips per year for bonefish and permit. He finally landed his first permit on a fly last May after many years of trying. B00CF79F-8C1C-42AD-80D9-21BD2DDE76BF.jpeg

12. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Permit are what you do when you get bored with bonefish:) Degree of difficulty: Extreme.

13. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Meister

Congrats... and as others have mentioned, it is addictive...and it can get expensive.

I'm a hardcore saltwater fly guy up here on Cape Cod, but I do dip my toes in freshwater on occasion. I tie my own flies and build my own rods as well. Member and former BOD member of Crossroads Anglers in Foxboro, MA since '95.

Hope you have a blast, and try not to get frustrated easily. Just like playing guitar, it takes time to master. Wishing you nothing but the best in your new adventure.

NativeBrown.png

14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1 on the Deet, it's has some VERY funky effects when interacting with certain plastics/vinyl products. Easy to ruin stuff if you're not careful.

15. Greggorios

Wow! Beautiful man, just beautiful. You and your Dad are fortunate. Wonderful bonding activity. For the uninitiated fly fishing provides a very special way to bond with friends and family. Ask anyone who fishes regularly who the closest people in their lives are and they'll inevitably tell you their "fishing buddy/friend" is high on the list. Somewhat similar to a successful musical relationship. (The reverse is true too. Not everyone enjoys the fishing experience. One discovers those folks rather quickly too. "Whadda ya mean you had a great time but didn't catch anything?!!!".)

uriah1 likes this.
  16. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Man you really got your stereotypes all mixed up here. None of that makes any sense at all.

uriah1 likes this.
  17. Greggorios

+1 on the Bats! When we go saltwater fly fishing it's the Seagulls. They'll actually grab a saltwater fly mid-cast and try to fly away with it. Like catching fish in the sky! Gotta be careful not to hurt'em when you snap it off.

uriah1, Obsessed and Stubee like this.
  18. Greggorios

:D dkmn knows the deal! Now that's exciting.

uriah1 likes this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Caught my first trout on a fly. A brookie. So nervous put fly line in teeth to hold while I pulled rest of line in. Lol. Didn’t want to lose. Wading was scary on river. North mich fast cold waters. I guess you get use to it. They gave us wading practice though that helped. Trout unlimited. Great class

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.