Fly fishing camp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, it's a classic book. Definitely recommended. And...Stubee's not exaggerating. I believe that it's generally accepted that there have been more books printed on the subject of fly fishing than any other topic in the English language beginning with a book by a woman, Juliana Berners, in 1496.

teletimetx, Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

My personal best was a decade or so ago, when I caught a fish on a dry fly in Missoula County every month for a year running. Slowed down a bit since then but I still get out. Had a day last year on the Missouri that will keep me going for another decade or so, just to see if it happens again. Those rainbows on the Mo pack a Joe Louis punch!

I've fished the same Thomas and Thomas rod for the last 20 years, a fast 9-ft 5-wt I picked up off there Dan Bailey rental fleet. Two-piece rod in a rod-on-reel case, I can be out of the car and on the water in nothing flat. A handy feature when you are surrounded by prime fly fishing water.

teletimetx, Stubee and uriah1 like this.
  3. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Absolutely...you can take a a little 7" brownie or rainbow on a 3/4 wt. and you'll think you gotta hold of Moby Dick...most fun you can have with your clothes on...

Matt G, DekeDog, uriah1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hopefully you sweetwater guys can someday experience having your fly line torn off the screaming reel and having to get your hand out of the way lest your knuckles get bloody. Then watching your backing melt off the spool like an ice cube in a warm glass of rum.

5. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

This is also my story... all the way down to the bats. The hatch starts and the bats are thicker than the trout. Much fewer in the AM.

Haven't fly fished since the early 70s. I miss it. The wife wants to try it, but the accessible rivers in the NC mountains these days are overfished and understocked. And the rods and reels cost a fortune. In the '60s, you could get a hand crafted, 8' Orvis bamboo rod for $100. Can't imagine what it would cost today.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  6. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

Perfection loop, improved/loop clinch, and triple surgeon knot are really the only ones I use. Albright knot if I change my fly line, but that’s only every once in a while.

Tippet rings are your friend.

howardlo, Obsessed and uriah1 like this.
  7. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

uriah1 likes this.
  8. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  9. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

My mother had a good friend who was quite the fly fisherman.
    We vacationed together and he decided he was going to teach me how to fly fish.
    I was maybe 12 at the time.

Well after a little while he left me on my own and I start swinging this pole around and out it goes and when the line and hook came back it started wrapping around my legs and the hook ended up lodged in my cheek right below my left eye.

Now that was bad enough and my solution was to just yank it out.
    Nope it required a trip to the emergency room and if you could have seen the look on my face when they explained how they were going to take it out.

Needless to say that was the end of my fly fishing career.

Greggorios, teletimetx and uriah1 like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Greggorios, uriah1 and DekeDog like this.
  11. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

A cabelas setup complete for under a hundred will outperform most vintage bamboos.

howardlo, uriah1 and DekeDog like this.
  12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I got my son a discount special outfit -- IM6 graphite rod, maybe a WW Griggs, and an Okuma reel -- for I-forget-but-super-cheap. Like $100 for everything cheap. He moved to the Bay Area and I forgot I had it. Pulled it out the other day and thought, hey, I could catch fish with this. A bit slower than the fast 5-wts I like (the wind blows in Montana) but if you stuck with it long enough to get a feel for the action, definitely a useful & versatile rod. Lots of options at the low end -- don't know about the Cabela's stuff but you could buy the Orvis rod / reel / line / case deal for $250 and get a 25-year guarantee, might come in handy if you close a car door on your rod. Not that I ever have . . .

uriah1 likes this.
  13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Don't let's start. Ceiling fans, anyone? I broke one on a big tarpon just next to the boat, that was fun:mad:

But then I think about the 9' Orvis 8-wt I tipped, and just trimmed the shatter off the end and put on a new tip guide. It cast so much better at 8'10'' I was :lol:

Greggorios, uriah1 and DekeDog like this.
  14. DekeDog

DekeDog TDPRI Member

Glad to hear the prices are less than I expected. Back in the '60s-'70s when I was fly fishing, I used a seven-and-a-half foot, fiberglass, Shakespeare rod (rivers in the Smokies are a little narrower than out west) and a Pflueger Medalist reel (which was a high end reel at the time). You could buy that combination for less than $50.

I went into a specialty shop last year and priced some rods and reels, and I'm thinking $200-300. Must have been a high end shop.

Greggorios, uriah1 and Stubee like this.
  15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I bought a couple of Redingtons combos to teach fly fishing to youth. I think I had more fun than they did just relax close your eyes and feel the rod load up and think 10 & 2.

Ok on that note I might not be online as much as I have been:rolleyes:

I once met Left Kreh at a book signing and couldn't wait for him to sign his book since the river was calling.

Greggorios, uriah1 and Stubee like this.
  16. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

Fly fishing, tying, and rod building are my other main hobbies. Been at it for 20 years and mostly fish my local warm water ponds for bluegill, crappie, and bass. I also take my sit on top kayak out quite a bit and it’s a blast. Saltwater striper fishing is also decent around here (NJ), but the beach replenishment the last 10 or so years has really killed beach structure. Thus, striper fishing is nowhere as good as it used to be iff the sand.

Rod building is extremely addictive, and awesome. There are so many types if blanks, grip, reel seat, guide styles that you can get totally immersed.

In terms of the perception of fly fishing, I think it gets falsely mystified as a super complicated, expensive, and specialized pastime. One doesn’t need expensive gear to get started, and you can easily simplify your approach. Once you get into it, it’s easy to learn how to cut through the BS of fancy (expensive) gear, gadgets, waders, vests, hats, lanyards, million fly patterns, 5 different tippet sizes, fluorocarbon, yada, yada, yada.

Best of luck with your new pursuit!

17. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

100%. Fiberglass has come a long way and a 7-8’ glass 3/4 wt is the perfect stream and warmwater panfish/small bass rod.

Greggorios, Obsessed and uriah1 like this.
  18. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Putting together the grandson’s first vest fill. I’ve given him lighter leaders but though he’s careful I got a few heavier ones for him, and won’t get into the tiny dry flies yet.

I learned fly fishing like all fishing totally on my own, and once you can remember to feel the back cast you’re on your way anyway. Told my wife I’ll tell the kid “you go this way, I’ll go that way” to keep me outta his hair and let him figure it out. He’s actually a very good fisherman and he’ll do best by figuring things out in the water without instruction. D4E16C55-284B-4CDE-AF93-D00ED3A67640.jpeg

20. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Gink is good, but you forgot the DEET. Don't never forget the DEET.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.