Fly fishing camp

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Jun 4, 2019.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well we did it. Signed up for fly fishing camp. Never thought I would try to get into
    it. I always thought fly fishing was for Cigar smoking millenieals driving
    to the river in their Beemers.

My wife is going to try this also.

Should be fun. I can always use technique for bluegills too when there is no river around.

FrontPU, Toto'sDad, G-52 and 5 others like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Very cool ! I remember as a kid,,always wanting to tie my own flies & learn to fly fish..enjoy..sounds like a great thing to do .

uriah1 likes this.
  3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I never tried it but I watched my neighbor do it. Seems like fun. I’m so busy with work now, that it’s hard to find time to get a haircut.

Enjoy!

uriah1 likes this.
  4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Is it the Orvis camp in VT?

Greggorios and uriah1 like this.
  5. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hope you enjoy! It is challenging at first, just learning to cast requires a little work (but once you get it it’s like riding a bike; you never forget).

For me, tying flies was half the fun. Catching fish on your own creations adds a level of satisfaction.

99% of my fly fishing was saltwater so I don’t know much about the rivers. But I do know that freshwater panfish will rise to little “bream bugs”, and they’re very easy to tie. Topwater takes are sooo fun!

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Have fun...

uriah1 likes this.
  7. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Beware! It can be very, very addictive. ;)

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Great. I hope it works out well.

Funny because the stereotype was a WASPy elite thing in a different way when I got into it decades ago. My pals and I were total leaders with modern musky fly fishing and places we got our drift boats. I changed my tune on guiding when a client didn't like how much work and skill was part of it and I didn't want the world to know the places where musky and trout meet.

Earlier my kids dropped interest when the amount of knowledge and work became evident. I plan to revisit that this summer.

It's definitely worth knowing it's a cold, warm and salt water fishing sport. Fly fishing for musky on rivers is sort of the ultimate. You can do a lot of work for nothing or have a day when 5 - 15 musky are caught. It's really cool to watch a musky gulp a bird or rodent like a trout takes a bug.

bftfender, Ivorytooth, Stubee and 2 others like this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I truly enjoyed fly fishing as a kid and continued until my mid 20s. Very relaxing and satisfying. I never was good at tying flies but still enjoyed it

Have fun at your summer camp. One of these days I want to go to Pork U in Ga. My BIL, one nephew, and several family friends have gone and enjoyed it

bftfender, Ivorytooth and uriah1 like this.
  10. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

The high lakes here in the Wind Rivers can make you feel like the world's greatest fly fisherman. When the switch flips it's a fish a minute. Doesn't matter what you throw or how it lands, it's bang like right now.

11. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

Enjoy! Don't get overwhelmed with technique. It's just another way to present an artificial lure to a fish and some casts are better than others....and when you get your first strike and a 9' rod, you'll understand! Like aerhed said, go up high where the fish might be smaller, but they're hungrier!

You can get all the spendy gear you want, but for mountain streams/lakes you just need rod/reel, flies, net, pliers, swimming trunks and sandals.

Where I'm from it's scoffed at as snobby/elitist, but I turn the tables on the walleye fishermen here that have a $60,000 boat, new pickup to pull it with and small fortune in radar and gear to go catch a 5 fish limit! That makes them think. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Matt G, bftfender, Ivorytooth and 3 others like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

If you haven't seen the film A River Runs Through It, please do so ASAP.....if you HAVE seen it ....watch it again! :)

13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bet it takes really small hooks to catch flies.

;)

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One of the main reasons I moved here.

My grandfather took me under his wings back in the 60s. Took a flytying class and can nail the hatches on my favorite local secret stream. I go fishing during the workweek and rarely see another person.

Enjoy, but be aware of bats at dusk taking your fly.:eek:

15. Jakethedog

Jakethedog TDPRI Member

Everyone emphasizes trout as the main fly fishing species. While it is true you can slay some trout on a fly, don’t sleep on bass and other panfish! Throwing big poppers and giant streamers for bass is a lot of fun! Saltwater fly fishing is something I haven’t been able to pursue, but a friend was straight ripping bonefish in the Bahamas a year ago on vacation.

For the record I drive a ****ty 80s f150 to the river wearing a pig destroyer t shirt and still manage to fly fish just fine.

Matt G, studio1087, bftfender and 2 others like this.
  16. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1...you think Telecasters and guitars are addictive!?...Oh my...just wait. Seriously, keep an open mind, stick with it and be patient with yourself until you "get your cast" down. It's a wonderful way to spend time and great way to spend time with friends. And ya...it's not just Millenials in Beemers...it's aging music freaks and hippies in rusty 'old Hondas too!

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Thats what we did many years ago, fly fishing camp
    Then fly tying lessons.
    Its a lot of fun especially trout on the dry flies.
    Even if fish dont bite at least working on your technique is still fun, like playing guitar.
    Enjoy

18. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey Obsessed, would love to see a picture of your local stream. Fishing in Montana has been on my bucket list for a while.:)

uriah1 and Ivorytooth like this.
  19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Enjoy it! I love fly fishing.

I started drifting worms for trout in N MI in 1975. I still clearly remember watching my first legal brookie take an unweighted worm I drifted over him. I bought land on the upper Manistee (near the Deward area) in 1981 and eventually built a cabin there. That’s where I learned to fly fish. I took it up because I got tired of bouncing worms into trout cover, getting hung up, keeping worms alive etc. I quickly discovered that fly fishing isn’t some exotic pastime but the simplest way to go. Grab your vest and fly rod and fish! I used small dries in the daylight (down to size 24!) but my favorite thing was night fishing with a No 6 unweighted elk hair Muddler I tied. That was great fun and my best was a 26.75” brown.

I sold that parcel when I decided the family would use a lake cottage more than a fishing camp, but kept fly fishing throughout N MI until my best trout bum friend died 10 years ago. I did go out a few times with other friends but they had taken to drift boats which don’t resonate with me like wading. I missed fly fishing for trout immensely and luckily my grandson’s feet quit growing this year, so I just outfitted him with waders, vest and a fly box and am prospecting smaller streams. I was just out a week ago.

Keep it simple, don’t go hog wild on gear and have fun. You really only need a decent rod, reel, floating line and some basic fly patterns to enjoy fly fishing most river trout (or smallmouth). I’m still using my HMG rod from the mid-1980s and like it. 41FB2699-F7EB-47F3-9289-6E9EB53A2517.jpeg

Matt G, studio1087, DekeDog and 7 others like this.
  20. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tks...Be by the Boardman

Greggorios and aerhed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.