Fluid on the ears

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Jan 10, 2019.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

So I thought my ears were blocked with wax - turned out it's fluid in my ears. My hearing is maybe 30-40% of normal. Went to a regular doctor, they gave me flonase, which has done exactly nothing. Got an appointment with ent doctor. On the 30th. Anybody know a handy trick for this? Being almost deaf is no fun and it's getting old.

2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Benedryl.

Take a couple at bed time.

In a few days, all will be better.

:)

Chunkocaster and bluzkat like this.
  3. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

What?

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My brother had a pesky sinus infection that ate away some of the cartilage around his eye socket and permantly damaged his inner ear.
    He just let it go too long being real busy with things and putting off the doctor visit.

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Liquid wax
    Ear we go again, sigh!
    Anyways good luck!

6. esseff

esseff Tele-Meister

I went to the doctor complaining of fluid in the ears and he gave me a tap on the head.

7. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

I think my ears have been wax potted.

8. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Well, Benadryl does have a "drying" effect on mucous membranes, but if the fluid is trapped behind the ear drum it will likely have little effect there. Is taking a 25mg tablet at bedtime worth a try? Yes, as long as the label precautions for use are followed- not everyone can safely take Benadryl (ex. folks with certain types of glaucoma, prostate issues, and heart problems to mention a few).

I'm curious why the GP ordered the Flonase. Did he/she give an explanation as to what the Flonase was to accomplish. Did the doctor mention that the problem may have been caused or aggravated by an allergy or inflammation? Flonase is typically used for inflammation or allergy of the sinus membranes. The sinus and inner ear are physically connected so the Flonase could have some effect, but typically its benefits are slow to be realized; requiring use for several days or a week before there is a noticeable improvement.

Glad you made an appointment with an ENT. You should get some clear answers as to the cause of the problem and an effective treatment. Until then, hang in there!

kuvash likes this.
  9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Been there, done that. I had problems with the left eustachian tube blocking and the middle ear filling with fluid. I went to an ENT. The typical course is to hit you with a powerful antihistamine and a decongestant. The antihistamine stops the secretion of excess fluid and the decongestant lowers inflamation, opening the passages. As always, mind the warnings on the boxes and don't combine therapies. Flonase is a steroid anti-inflamimtory that acts as a decongestant.

Bob

10. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had it happen to me after flying twenty five years ago. Went to the ENT and they had to put tubes in my ears like they do to babies. He said next time I needed to fly he would have me take steroids for two weeks before flying. I haven't flown since.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.