Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Floorcaster finally complete.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gagidlof, Mar 10, 2013.

1. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Of the many projects I have going I finally finished one. I call it the floorcaster.
    Here's a little back story. We got new neighbors, as it turns out I work with one of them. Anyway, they are completely re-modeling the house, ripping it out to the studs. In the process they tore out a whole bunch of maple flooring, you know the solid maple pre-finished type 3/4 x 2 1/2. So I harvested a bunch from the scrap pile and put it in the garage, de-nailed it and set it aside. Then of course what do we do around here with a pile of wood? Make it into a guitar of course. So I set out to make a guitar for our neighbor.

I didn't do a build thread on this one but here is a little description of how it was put together: Since it is maple I didn't want it to get too heavy so Thinline. I ran a whole bunch through the planer to get the backs flat and the finish off the tops. Cut off the tongues and grooves on the table saw. For the neck I laminated 4 pieces together for the main part of the neck and a couple "ears" at the headstock, planed down one piece that had some great birdseye for a fingerboard. For the main part of the body I basically made a butcher block that I shaped into a body and cut out the chambers. The top and back I planed some stock down to 1/4" and edge glued them. Opted for double bound and a small thinline pickguard with regular control plate.

For the plastic I discovered a couple sheets of white abs (I think) in the shed that the Mrs. had salvaged from her old job before they threw it away. I took a piece to work and set the shear at .250 and cut enough binding strips to last a long time.

Alright enough with the blah, blah right on to the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, after looking at the pictures, I clearly need to get a shot showing the binding.

2. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    So I can't just give a guitar with nowhere to put it. So I took some more of the flooring and made the stand too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TheZ

TheZ Tele-Meister

Nov 13, 2009
    Northwest USA
    I love it! Congrats on another great build.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    Thanks Z,

I should put up a couple shots showing off the fingerboard and binding, and clearly I need to work on my lighting.

Hey Z, I see you're a Seattlite, with the number of PNW builders on here we should all get together sometime for some meet and greet. Find a good brew pub and swap war stories.

6. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Oct 13, 2009
    San Marcos, Ca
    Walking the floor over you!

well now you have to play this song on that Floorcaster!

7. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    That's great. Really love the warmth of the body colour and it's really sweet with the white guard and binding.

I'm guessing they're nice neighbours, I think I'd find it hard to part with that! Cheers

8. u-design-it

u-design-it Banned

Jul 19, 2011
    Belgium
  9. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Fanstastic, I like it very much.
    Any sound clips?

10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

That there is a beautiful guitar. Congrats.

11. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2005
    Chicago 'Burbs
    Nice job. ;) I have a soft spot for repurposed woods, this looks like it was a nice project.

12. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    That is so classy.

13. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I just love maple guitars :D

14. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Very warm, natural, friendly looking guitar. Nice work!

15. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    :lol: perfect.

First time I've done double binding, I'm always trying to add something new to each build. I was pretty happy with the color, it was amber shellack for color then lacquer, simple and sweet.

Thanks.

No sound clips yet I'll try and get some and post them, but probably not my pathetic playing.

Thanks.

Thanks Rich, I have been inspired by some of your builds using repurposed woods.

Thank you.

Yeah, they seem to ring forever. I use a maple core on some of my other builds cause I love the way it sounds. I could never imagine a solid maple guitar because it would get pretty heavy, that's why I opted for thinline, ended up about 7 and a half pounds.

Thanks, amber shellack is becoming one of my favorite colors. I used it on some flame maple and I loved it. Next it is going on my Spucecaster.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, I'm pretty pleased with this one. I really like the laminated neck, I'll probably do another one for a future build.

16. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Jun 3, 2009
    Marysville, WA
    I tried to take some better pictures to show this thing off a little better.

Here you can see the binding better and the butcher block nature of the core.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the fingerboard, I found this piece of birdseye in the pile and picked the best section of it.
    [​IMG]

And here you can see the laminated neck.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

and gratuitous shots of the front and back again.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Again thanks for the positive comments, I learned it all here so thanks for your help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.