Floods

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We are almost at the flood levels of 2 years ago, which was supposed to be a once in a century flood.
    Now just got an alert, on tv, for people to evacuate the Rouge river area as there is an imminent risk of dam failure(that’s one of the best kayaking and rafting rivers in Quebec, I ran it so many times years ago).
    Sigh
    On my way home from groceries there was a sewer spitting water about 3 inches high on the main boulevard near my place, fortunately I am high enough to be safe.
    Stay dry people
    P.S.: oh yeah the forecast is 2 to 3 inches of rain for Friday and Saturday

2. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Man, that sucks. Stay safe, and dry too! I live in low country, so flooding here is a daily event in the Summertime with the afternoon T-Storms. I guess the difference is that here the infrastructure is designed for it.

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

We have experienced 2 "100 year" flood events just a few years apart from each other in the Midwest. The first time I had to take row boats to get to my work station at work for a few months and this latest one reached 110 feet from my home...but didn't get me. We still have to replace about 40% of the highways around this area as the flood water wiped them all out.

Floods go from a slow rise to "Oh Crap" very quickly. The houses just a block away from me went from dry to water 6 feet deep in less than 2 hours time. Be careful!!

uriah1 and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

powerplant.jpg

This was the nuclear power plant that I was working at during the first flood. We had to travel from the nearest highway along a floating bridge and take row boats to reach the buildings.

A nightmare for months!

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

You would think that a nuclear plant would be out of flood zones
    :eek:

aerhed, WhatDoIKnow and Piggy Stu like this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Keep your powder dry!

And stay safe. I was just looking at a local map showing places where there is flood danger if there was an "event." Luckily, even with a creek running behind my place, I'm pretty safe.

aerhed likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

"Once in a century flood" really means that in any year, the odds of it happening are 1/100.

Thus the odds of it *not* happening in a year are 99/100, and so the odds of not happening N years in a row are (99/100)^N.

How many years until the odds are 50-50?

N = ln(1/2) / ln (99/100) = about 69 years

Nevertheless, I think they need to recalculate the odds of a "once in a century flood". Things have changed, is all I'm saying.

Torren61 and OldPup like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

They have to be located next to a large water supply for cooling. A large lake would probably be safer, but most are along major rivers or coastal areas.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck. I understand this. We had floods here not long ago and the water tables are still high. Again, good luck!

10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Holic

I hope everything works out for you.

11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Had a ‘150 year flood’ nearly 33 years ago and for several weeks I stared at the sky with a sense of dread every time storms built. And I’m a weather nut.

Hope your OK and that it abates without wreaking too much havoc.

12. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I used to fish in a canal that went to a nuclear plant in NJ. Wondered if I'd catch some kind of freak fish sometime. :eek:

Makes me wonder about the deer I see along Hwy. 75. Maybe I'll see one with gigantic antlers.

I have to drive about 40 miles out of my way if I want to go down to Omaha, Ne. since the flood messed up I-29. Major PITB!

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

FYI, with my well off little city still not fully repaired 8/20/18 to now, and having been part of the FEMA claims I suggest being proactive. You need to know other areas have had extensive flooding and the bucket of money is limited. FEMA money was also raided for purposes you might not feel are an emergency if you saw and felt the flooding up close.

My city did vote yes for a referendum that’s a 3 year increase in your sewer assessment that will let us make improvements to better handle another incident, and replenish or fix issues. Also change to a model where you get a an assessment and bill for street and road repair. A lot of flooding has happened in a few areas in my state. You can see places that did not take steps like this and places that did not do a good job with FEMA claims just cannot fix stuff.

Even with really fast and competent action we still had bridges on state and federal highways out for a long time. You get problems you might not think about. The water tables stayed high all winter. Small rains still flood some areas.

Basically what I can see since this happened... Between our home town, where our cabin is, and some less prosperous areas than our home town is you get your own third world in the middle of the US if your local planning and governance is not good. Municipalities that did not make the moves mine did are much worse off.

You also need to be ready personally. You would not usually think it could hit where you live. Well, we had water flow never seen in the neighborhood and our basement got wet. One of my kids was stranded in the floods for a while.

Personally also applies to your local government in other ways - not just the sewers and roads stuff. Where Blowtorch and I live there’s teasing for having all the toys or best but the little 6x6 mini ambulances, airboats, $ million firetrucks and well trained staff meant only one life lost in a scenario that would wipe out many in much of the world. I watched the $ million fire truck some in my city didn't’ want to buy get through 4 feet of water and put out a small fire. I’m not a prep type but sure think a bit differently after being in the center of a bad flood event.

Good luck everyone and don’t forget to make sure your mayor and local officials do a good job.

14. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My super-reverb had to get repaired after a 100 yr floor
    a couple years back.

I know it's only stuff.

Wish you well, stay safe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.