Flip Or Flop/Fixer Upper

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife is hooked on H&G fixer upper shows. She likes House Hunters too. We watch 'em in the bedroom for a while before going to sleep. I was sorry that Christina, and Tarek split, but it wasn't totally unexpected. I like some of the others too. I liked Paige and Duron on Nashville Flip or Flop the best, but I think not enough people were interested in their price point of projects at least not enough to watch them.

2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

I initially read this as “Flip Top Fixer Upper” and thought it was about restoring old Ampegs (I did that last year).

Flakey and nojazzhere like this.
  3. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Well...they are called "actors", aren't they?

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I will admit that if the show is on and Christina has a scene, I find myself looking that the TV :cool:

5. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i watched flip or flop more than fixer upper

one of hgtv series had couples looking at vacation homes to buy...im watching one episode and it was from ocean gate nj...i was like cool...ive vacationed there

well they approached a home as i was like...thats the home my grandfather built in 1955!...i was blown away they featured that home on the show...the couple didnt buy it...my mom and dad also built a home in ocean gate nj in the 80s...they didnt actually build it like my grandfather and his brothers though...still was cool to see that house on the show

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I used to really enjoy HGTV......they had a great mix of Architectural and gardening programs, with fascinating programs about mid-century architecture and architects......no more. Everything is about RIPPING STUFF OUT and putting in new. I'm sick of potential buyers walking into a perfectly good kitchen or bathroom and saying, "Well....this is a complete "gut job"." I can only assume that the companies that sponsor the shows only want to encourage viewers to buy their products. And, unlike the ORIGINAL home improvement show, This Old House, these new ones aren't really educational. On TOH, you actually learned how to do stuff......and nobody would seriously call Bob Villa or Norm Abrams sparkly "TV personalities".
    But then....I'm old and EVERYTHING was better years ago, right? :)

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I do know this - one of those shows has an opening theme song that had a door-bell sound in it. Every time my wife is watching that show, and the theme song plays... my dog hops up and gives a woof.. thinking that someone is at our front door.

8. Toto'sDad

Alex falls for the door bell thing too! He also absolutely hates that commercial where the guy goes to park his little red convertible, looks up at the pigeons cooing on the highline wire, moves his car to a "safe" location, then they dump a load of cement on it! Alex can be sound asleep, when he hears those pigeons his ears perk up, when they dump the cement he barks at the tv!

Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I hope you get law and order on tv over there. I've watched so many episodes of L&O, the local sheriff calls me when he has a difficult case he needs solved.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  10. nojazzhere

Along that line, I really enjoy Cops....but does anyone actually believe half of what goes down would happen the way it's shown if the camera wasn't there?

11. Toto'sDad

It beats watching Barney Fife!

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

WAIT!!!...you sayin' The Andy Griffith Show wasn't a documentary? I believe Mayberry WAS small town America!!!!! :)

13. Toto'sDad

It was the ideal small town. But it's been upgraded to the 2019 model which you may not recognize as such at first glance. :eek::D

nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

When I grew up in the ‘50s the big three networks were NBC, CBS, and ABC. My wife’s three big ones are HGTV, MSNBC, and CNN. What hasn’t changed is the redundancy. The programming is mind numbingly redundant. One show from each per day is more than enough. One per week is more than enough. TV really is a wasteland. 500 channels with nothing good on or one channel with the same show reiterated endlessly makes it that way.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

You forgot to add, "NOW GET OFF MY LAWN"!!!!!!!!

JL_LI likes this.
  16. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Yeah, sometimes I see them going into one of those houses and think. Why change that? Why gut the entire house?

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I find the "renters" pretty laughable. They seem to have champagne tastes and beer budgets. I mean c'mon do you really expect find a decent apartment in Tibet for under five thousand a month? Sheesh!

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have a number of friends who are in law enforcement and they will tell you that everything that you see on the show they have seen even worse and crazier.

One time my wife asked me why I watched that show and I responded by saying, "you can't watch COPS and not feel better about your life". I still stand by that statement.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

Oh!...I agree completely, Preacher. What I was referring to was the restraint and patience of SOME of the cops. I, too, have a few cop and ex-cop friends.....they mostly snicker at the scenarios and behavior by the cops. And yes.....I also feel better about life, and "extra normal".....:)

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And then the materials they put in are so horrible. So trendy .

So rare for me to watch a bathroom redo on one of the HGTV shows and think “well, at least they’re installing some nice timeless materials”.

It just doesn’t happen !

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.