Flip Or Flop/Fixer Upper

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Jun 10, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I like watching these two shows on the HGV channel. They both deal with people buying old homes and renovating them. Flip Or Flop is about a couple in Cali who buy the homes to sell themselves after fixing them up. Fixer Upper is about another couple in Waco, TX who have a couple choose a home that's for sale that they can fix up for them.
    Fixer Upper has the wife choose furnishings and décor for the home. I don't think I'd go for that. I'd rather decorate it myself. Flip Or Flop has a company "stage" the home with temporary furnishings for people to get an idea of what it'll look like when the buyer moves in with their own stuff.

Both shows are no longer filming new episodes. The Flip Or Flop couple got divorced and the Fixer Upper couple decided to quit filming the series. The lady in Flip Or Flop is filming a new series.

Anyone else watch these shows? I like watching them because I'm also fixing up my own home.

voodoostation and Treadplatedual like this.
  2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

My wife watches them all. There are certain parts of episodes here and there that may have an interesting point, but I find them mostly redundant. Template television. But what do I know? I like watching reruns of The Office (US).

nojazzhere and BrandonIke like this.
  3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@chet again
    I do enjoy the shows but I also think they leave some of the undesirable parts out.
    I have been fixing up houses since I first started buying them. The latest was a 100 year old farm house that had no insulation in the walls and was using burlap bags and wadded up newspapers as wind blocks in the balloon frame at the foundation.
    There are times where I think to myself that I should look into fixing a few up here in the DFW area, but then I think better of it and decide to just sit in the pool and relax.

4. BrandonIke

BrandonIke Tele-Meister

My gf watches those, the only ones I will occasionally catch are House Hunters International - not sure if it's the same for all of them but I know with all House Hunters the people have already bought or rented the house, they just pick a few others that are similar to tour and act like they are 'considering'

nojazzhere and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Don't believe in anything shown on Television , ever...
    Might as well read a fairytale...

Toto'sDad and unixfish like this.
  6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yea, we watch them. Its probably my fault too. I've enjoyed This Old House since its inception along with its spin-off "Ask TOH".

Then one day the cable co. upgrades us (1999?). Low and be hold, a channel named after a magazine...Home and Garden.

So, yea...:oops: constant time constraints, budget deficits, and other staged surprises. I can still like them but only with some patience.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I was watching them while I was renting a room from a lady who sells real estate. She'd leave HGTV on for her dogs while she was out. I find the blonde chick on Flip or Flop really annoying. Everybody seems to love Chip and JoAnn. Well, except their ex-partners, but that's another story.

Hey, it's TV entertainment. It's no worse the Storage Wars or Pawn Stars or American Pickers.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

That's what I said.....fake-fake-fake

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh c'mon now, REALLY? You're pushing Danish Fairy Tales on the forum?! :D

[​IMG]

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Everything shown on 'reality' TV is scripted and predetermined. It is way too expensive to roll production otherwise.

nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Ok , TD
    Maybe a Grimm Brothers fairytale ?

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Seriously , I hardly ever watch TV......No news , game shows , US crime stories etc....educational stuff , a bit of selected sports , not much else.
    I haven't got enough brain to spare to watch the other stuff....

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I bet y'all'd watch a Flip-Flop/Fixer-upper show about Guitars. ...
    "This week's garage sale find ... "

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

You can't find any bargains anymore. Everyone's wise to how much you can sell vintage guitars for.

I saw a couple in a pawn shop recently. One was a 1969 Tele that was pretty gnarly. It sold for $6,900.00. :rolleyes:

The other (the one I liked) was a Fender RI '50 Tele. That sold for a bunch too.

15. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

Ok, so maybe you'll post on another thread then...

16. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

There's only about 20 minutes in Flip Or Flop. Can't really go into heavy detail with that much time.

17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Yeah, those are the best kind of ex-partners; the ones who don't like you. And you are right, it is another story and has nothing to do with their show.

18. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

LOL! She's getting roasted on the YouTube comments too.

I guess she and the guy used to have some knock down drag out arguments over styling decisions. Wonder if the guy is going to get a show too?

19. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I only liked Flip or Flop when they would have Christina test out the pool rehab in her bikini.

Then she starts to talk and I had to change the channel.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I was going to buy a 2 story house here in Iowa for 10 grand. The inside walls were stripped off but the guy bailed out for some reason. It had cathedral ceilings in the living room and an upstairs loft above it. The floor of the loft would've needed to be reinforced but it would've been cool. The house was originally pretty nicely built but someone screwed up stuck windows in weird places and messed up the symmetry. The guy was supposedly renovating it for a sweetheart but I guess that went bad (yeah, right).

My nephew said he could help renovate it but I finally decided that he was too flakey and I couldn't depend on him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.