Fleetwood Mac 1979

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jondanger, May 24, 2019.

1. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Man, I sure can understand why you’d go see this band. I’m more often drawn to Christie and Lindsay’s songs, but Stevie is so engaging on stage. Some folks just have a thing, when they get in front of a bunch of people they’re all anyone can look at. Bruce, Prince, Stevie . . .

Just gonna listen to Tusk on repeat with a guitar in my lap for a while, ladies and gents.

RodeoTex, JL_LI and bftfender like this.
  2. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I saw them at the Universal Amphitheater in L.A. in '76 shortly after Lindsay and Stevie joined. Small venue and they were outstandingl.

jondanger likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I think that band died when those girls joined... is just wrong, another thing

Coldacre and ronzhd like this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I tried to listen to Tusk (real guitarists listen to Tusq...) on repeat with the USC marching band on my lap. It didn't end well, and now the judge says I can't have any contact with them or any other marching band, but nobody says jack to Santa...

slauson slim and jondanger like this.
  5. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

My favorite Nicks song is "Storms" from the Tusk album. Love this demo version:

jondanger likes this.
  6. jondanger

So Christie McVie joined in 1970, and Stevie joined in 1974. Lindsey joined at the same time as Stevie.

If you don’t like Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, it has as much to do with Lindsey (a human male) as it does with Stevie (a woman). Making it a gender issue is wrong and doesn’t fit the timeline.

7. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I hate to be that guy, but I prefer Fleetwood Mac 1969 over the 1979 edition. They were really two completely different bands that shared the same name; the only continuous factors were Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

I'll add that as a male child of the '80s, I'm a huge Stevie Nicks fan. Christine McVie is a tremendous and underrated musician.

But speaking as a guitarist, I've gotta say I really dig Peter Green and Danny Kirwan:

8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Peter Green's Mac was the shizz nizzle.

jondanger likes this.
  9. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

I appreciate Fleetwood Macs success with Stevie and Lindsey
    I saw them early on and they were still friendly onstage and tight.

Personally, if I were going to be in a band with a female singer/songwriter I'd choose someone I'd like to stand next to and play with.
    Like:

boris bubbanov and jondanger like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Fleetwood Mac is just one of those ever-evolving bands that just have to be that way.
    Gotta love Stevie.

jondanger likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I remember when Stevie and Lindsay joined the band, my friend and bandmate, who was a big Fleetwood Mac fan (especially the Bob Welch years) said, "When those guys leave you and I will be the next ones to join them!" I don't think he expected them to be as successful as they were.

I saw them in 1977. They were at the Oakland Colosseum with the Doobie Brothers and Gary Wright. I swear Stevie sang "Landslide" right to me. (OK, maybe me and a few thousand others...)

But to be honest, I like the Peter Green version the best and like some of the "middle period" stuff as much as either.

jondanger likes this.
  12. jondanger

This is that performer’s gift that you either have it or you don’t, IMO.

13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Mick, John and Christine.... I don't care who puts the icing on that cake.

I just want to add to the @jondanger response to @El Marin

Christine joined as a member in 1970.... but of the 4 albums before she joined she was on 3 of them as a studio musician and background singer. The only album she was not part of was the very first one. That girl did not kill Fleetwood Mac, she was an integral part of it!

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    GibbyTwin likes this.
  14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I loved the Green era FM, and the later Kiln House and Future Games versions, with Danny, Jeremy, Bob, and Christine. I'm not as big a fan of the B/N era FM, but I don't disparage those who love them. I've grown to appreciate them more now than I did then. I love Tom Petty and he liked Stevie enough to record with her.

big jimmy likes this.
  15. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I also liked the Bare Trees era with Bob Welch.

brookdalebill and DougM like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Now, here's a guy who knows what he's talking about!

I think Christine is "Perfect" and her songs are usually excellent. I love Buckingham's work but I'm allergic to Ms. Nicks. Since this thread is mostly about her I'll just leave it like that.

Although, let me say I would be simply terrified to try and share a stage with Ms. Hynde. She's a brilliant writer and performer but there's just no way I can belong on a stage with her. the other 3 might take mercy on me (I hope).

If I could add just one name to Mike's excellent list, I think it would be Joan Armatrading.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.