Flea market find- early 50s tele?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Charlodius, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius TDPRI Member

Hoping for some help identifying this guitar I scored for $20 over the weekend. With the homemade pickguard/bridge cover and radio knobs I thought it might be a 70s MIJ tiesco or guyatone. I posted pics to a FB group for vintage MIJ guitars- but when I removed the bridge cover I found a very 50s Fender bridge. People started chiming in and they think maybe 52/53 real deal that’s been refinished. I thought the bridge pickup was working since I got sound with the blade in that position, but unfortunately it’s not passing a signal. The neck pickup is active in all 3 positions. Is this 52 blend wiring? Any help confirming it’s real as well as the year would be awesome!

Attached Files:

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Other than the pickguard and bridge cover it looks similar to a fender. Pretty cool find.
    The string ferrules look a little out of wack on the back. I'm just guessing but maybe it's a partscaster on a homemade body but then that covered screw hole near the neck looks like it could have been from a proper tele pickguard. You got a bargain whatever it is.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    bob barcus, drifterdave and Alex W like this.
  3. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow, even if just the bridge and the electronics are original, that is the buy of the century!! Congrats

bob barcus, igor5, Eagle Eye and 3 others like this.
  4. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

I think the slightly out of whack string ferrules is a positive factor towards legitimacy. The bridge, saddles, pickup and neck are not raising any red flags to my less-than-expert Tele knowledge. If it turns out to be legit it is a score of epic proportions!

5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Agreed, early Fenders had a problem with the ferrules lining up on the back. It seems that most of the units lined up well but one of the ferules was a little out of align.

Looking at the wiring you can see a code on that Pot and I think the wiring looks spot on with the '56 that I had the privileged to look at.
    The pick guard looks to have been replaced with a new piece of ABS but that screw hole looks to be in the right place for a typical Tele guard.
    That bridge is either a really good repro or the real deal.
    Also the volute on the neck seems to be in order as well as the sharp router line at the neck/body connection like the pic below.
    There is one nail hole shown in one of your pictures, I would assume the others are there as well?

[​IMG]

It would be interesting to see under that finish, I would imagine the date stamp might still be on the heel of the neck under that varnish.

If it was me. I would get some really good pictures and send it off to someone for verification.
    Is there a number stamped on the neck plate?
    Can you take some close ups of the face of the head stock, especially where the string tree location is?

I will say it is either a really, really, really good repro that then was modified horribly, or this is the real deal...

6. asquinet

asquinet TDPRI Member

Keys seems original Kluson before 1958 (if I could post something of other web site: http://www.guitarhq.com/kluson.html); pickups, bridge, seems original; even pots and wiring....
    I have very found for fkea market; sometime pops up something interesting...but I think you are very, very very lucky man...

igor5, El Tele Lobo and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

What a find, man! Congrats

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Remove all that nasty varnish get a refin and you have turned your $20 into a epic profit

9. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I’m not seeing and red flags either. The innards definitely look vintage, not sure if they’re original. Are those Kluson Deluxe single line tuners? Do they match with the pics here? http://www.guitarhq.com/kluson.html

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

You suck!
    I hate you!
    Mean mean mean!

11. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Wow, congrats!

I'm no expert on anything, but I see a pin router hole on the back of the neck heel, and what looks like a filled one in the middle of the back of the body, right where they should be on a legit Fender.

The experts should be checking in soon! I really hope this is the real deal!

bob barcus, Flyboy and telemnemonics like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

-The truss rod "cross notch" on the heel looks shallow to me. Some one told me years ago that there should be a small round drill point hole in the center of the cross cut also, although someone else here a while back didn't think that was true. So I dont know abut that.
    -Those pots, I can't see the numbers entirely but not sure they are USA Fender...? I dont know much about super early pots though...
    -Did the early Kluson tuners not have any lettering on the back? "Deluxe" etc? The 57 strat ones did...

13. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Meister

Wow ... lucky to find this at that price!

14. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

15. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Meister

Duchossoir lists serial number 5032 as having a neck date of October, 1953 and other sources list 5368 as being the last Tele of 1954, which probably puts yours at late 1953.

Guitars of that vintage may have a date penciled in the neck pickup cavity if that part escaped refinishing. Are there any markings readable through the finish on the neck?

That's an amazing find. Well done!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  16. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....you made it!....I've seen this already else where and the more times I look the more "find of the decade" I reckon it is!...even the refinish looks like something an old school furniture maker would do for a buddy who had an old beat up guitar long time ago...BV..before vintage.
    Outside of the pickguard,knobs and "bridge cover" which beyond obvious I think the OP has a very nice find here.....
    ....final thought...who in their right mind would fake a freak like this!?!....do such a convincing job on the bridge,fittings etc,all that time,then put a weirdass finish and it ends up in a yardsale?....you'd want to be the DR Evil of vintage fraud...
    Be interesting to see what emerges as this rolls on and especially when an expert has it actually in hand for appraisal....

Charlodius, El Tele Lobo and AAT65 like this.
  17. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Good grief!!

18. 68tele

68tele Tele-Afflicted

WOW! Would love to see pic of the headstock face.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Look like an early 50s tele to me. Find of the year and an easy 10k profit!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    t guitar floyd likes this.
  20. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Wow

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.