Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Flathead V8 owners?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dallasblues, Jul 12, 2018.

1. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Any owners here of the old Ford Flathead V8's from the '32-53 years?

There's just not much cooler than that rumble. They seem to be making a bit of a resurgence by hot rodders too. I've even been thinking about one for myself.

If any of you own one, had one, drove one once, or just like em, I'd like to hear about it!

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    1953 Ford Crown Vitoria (with Mercury engine & dual Stromberg carbs) dual exhausts (from convertible).

Stubee and dallasblues like this.
  3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    I had a ‘49 Ford F1 and my dad had a ‘51, both with that engine. I also had a ‘53 convertible. Boy I miss them! Like you said nothing sounds like a flathead. My dad was a mechanic with Ford since the ‘30s. I loved those old engines but just don’t allow one to overheat! If I were younger I might try to find one to restore.

dallasblues likes this.
  4. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2010
    Richmond VA
    My older bro had a '51 Ford with a flathead that he rebuilt. Kept blowing head gaskets. After his fourth attempt, he went for some help and discovered he'd been jerk-torquing the head bolts instead of letting the bolts come up to specified torque slowly. Worked fine after that. I don't remember driving that car; he had an Alfa-Romeo by the time I started driving. But that's another story...

dallasblues likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The Dad had a '50 Ford coupe he bought when it was a year old, and the previous owner had put a hotter cam and a modified exhaust system on it.

It was as great a car as the '57 Ford six he bought to replace it (when the '50 was totaled) was a pile of junk.

Sometimes I think the guys at FoMoCo went on vacation once Mr. Ford was dead, and the rot just took time to set in.

drlucky and william tele like this.
  6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know diddly about them but learned to drive in 49 ford with a flathead and three on tree. It belonged to family friends was a car used only for going to the pasture to get the dairy cattle in for milking. It had no mufflers and the sound of it was usually enough to call the cattle.

Flatheads are a national treasure...

Stubee, drlucky and dallasblues like this.
  7. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Dallas, TX
  8. dallasblues

dallasblues Tele-Meister

Nov 29, 2011
    Dallas, TX
  9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    It's a bit like the Harley sound for sure. That was THE hot rod engine for many years until the Chevy rocker arm V8's came out. Had one many many years ago. My buddy in HS had a 39 ford with the factory little 60hp Flathead V8.

LocoTex and dallasblues like this.
  10. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    That is so weird... the farm I worked at as a young teen (neighbors) had a '50 ford V8 3 on the tree. Only for around the farm. We used to spend our time learning to get the rpm just right and shifting without using the clutch! It worked perfect if you knew what you were doing.

11. Hobs

Hobs Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Never owned either, but the only engine that sounds better is the flathead V12 Lincoln.

drlucky and dallasblues like this.
  12. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks like a Paxton blower!

dallasblues likes this.
  13. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2016
    TX
    Where I grew up in west Texas some farmers used them for irrigation engines.

william tele likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, that Supercharger sure is scavenging a lot of output from the motor!

We had a McCullough on one of the Kaisers (Continental 226 CI Six) and the six didn't seem to mind. But, there was no PS, PB or AC load. And we had a stock exhaust, simply huge flywheel.

15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
  16. Old Tele man

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Zora Arkus-Duntov made his mark putting Hemi heads on flatheads.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    I've got a flathead, but it's been a while since it's rumbled. And will be a while until it rumbles again!

[​IMG]

The intent was to build this with the original Model A engine, but one thing led to another, and, well... in for a penny, in for a pound!

1931 Model A chassis with 1927 Model T Roadster body. Obviously it needs some work... like chopping the grille shell...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  18. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Back in the 70’s I stopped by a foreign car shop and they had some huge, bulbous late 40’s sedan there. It had a flathead straight-8 and the guys demonstrated its smoothness at idle by setting a glass of water on the head. Not a jiggle or ripple in the water. Given the big bore straight-8ishness of the engine it shouldn’t be smooth at low RPM, but it was obviously well-balanced and happy.

19. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow! From here that thing looks really solid. That sweetheart needs to roll! Nice, thanks for posting!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.