Flat Wound Strings On Your Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DavyA, Mar 20, 2016.

1. DavyA

DavyA Tele-Meister

So all my Country Telecaster pickin' friends!! What are your thoughts on using flat wound strings on your Telecaster?? Kenny Vaughn says he uses them amd gets more twang. kind of counter intuitive I know. Eugene Moles has commented that he thinks it sounds like Roy Nichols might be using flat wounds a on a couple of tracks. I play round wound .011's with a.018 wound G string.

I know everyone has a different take on this but I would like to know your thoughts. No ones opinion is wrong so no arguments please. Thanks!

2. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I use 'em on my Gretsch and wouldn't use anything else. The Teles get pure nickle, the Strats have nickle wound along with the the LPs...Just the way I like it...

qblue and old soul like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

I use a 12 gauge set on one of my teles for jazz, but they twang all day too...not as slinky as the 10s I use elsewhere, but the high E isn't always jumping off the edge of the board now either. If you bend a lot or like to do steel impersonations, you might want to look at finding a set with an unwound G. I think they sound great though. Really nail that Luther Perkins rhythm sound. Haven't played flatties in 11 gauge...that might be better for country. I thought the 12s would be hard to press for those crazy jazz chords, but they're not bad top loaded (may try them through the body next time).

4. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I just put flat wounds on my Squier VM '72 Thinline. It was just what that guitar needed. Very jazzy in the neck and middle and still quite twangy in the bridge. I love they way they feel and they are whisper quite. I've heard people describe flat wounds as dead sounding, but that's certainly not how I'd describe them. More subdued, perhaps, but not dead.I'd absolutely consider putting them on my CVC tele or my MIM tele at the next string change.

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. Flats here.

I have them on almost all the guitars I play out with.
    I have even put flats on my Strats!

I also change out the top 3 strings if i can't find a set at the store I like.
    So the wound 3rd becomes a plain bendable string.

Started on my VM Thinline and instantly that guitar became my go to.
    Don't get me wrong, i still love me a Strat, but my Tele has......moxie!

6. marsh99

marsh99 Tele-Afflicted

I have a set of 12s on a Thinline too. They twang fine but I can't do the pedal steel type bends with the wound G so a bit limiting for country stuff for me. I can see how it would work swapping out the G for an unwound.

I'm using this guitar more for jazz stuff which works well. However one thing I noticed was that it was easier to intonate the 3 barrel bridge with a wound G - guess that is what it was designed for!

7. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Thomastik 12 flats for me.

DekeDog likes this.
  8. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

+1 on Thomastik flats, it just never occurred to me to try 'em on a Tele.

DekeDog likes this.
  9. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Thomastik 11's on mine. I don't think the sound is all that different, but the feel is soooo nice.....just makes you want to play more.

DekeDog and Sofaplayer like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Thomastik 13s on mine. They don't twang because I don't twang :cool:

DekeDog likes this.
  11. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Flats get a great vintage tone - if you check the history, when Teles were first produced flat wounds were the predominant strings, and many early recordings of Teles were done with flatwounds. I don't use them all the time but install them when I need a "retro" sound. They feel great too!

12. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's

I had a set of D'Addarrio XL flats on my CV50/CVC 60 neck telecaster. Maybe it was the neck, which was at its limit on truss rod adjustment, but I thought they were zingy at first which I was told was normal. But then they started downright buzzing. The truss rod would not adjust in enough relief to remedy the situation so I got another CVC60 neck that had a truss rod that actually worked. I'm currently using EB 10s on it. I have a package of Thomastik Infield extra light 10s. I'm a little leery of putting them on after my less than stellar experience with the D chromes, and need to be talked down off the ledge as far as they're concerned.

13. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I love the ground round strings on my guitars. They're a little brighter and a lot less expensive than pure flats, but still have that quite smooth feel.

I use GHS, they call them brite flats.

I have thomastik infield flats on my bass, love them, but I have too many guitars to pay that much for strings.

14. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

yeah, ive gone back and forth. thomastik elevens on my kirn right now, and i mostly use it for jazz. flats sound great for a lot of fifties/early sixties country, too.

if i'm going to need to bend, i go back to rounds and an unwound third.

15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

It's so obvious...I put flats on a designated slide guitar, decades ago & LOVE them for bass, so why haven't I tried em?

16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I'm a relative newb to playing guitar but on a dare from my outlaw I'm using D'Addarios in .010"s. These sound a little darker to my ears but I enjoy playing them.

17. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I truly do like flats even to I reserve them mostly for my hollow body these days. My wrist arent what they used to be and if I want to bend I need light strings to avoid pain. Still a set of daddario chromes with a plain g-string truly sound great.

Duffman likes this.
  18. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

11 gauge Chromes on my tele. I can't stand the brightness and noise from rounds, and really prefer the sound of a wound G string.

19. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I experimented with flatwounds with wound G on my CV50s Tele a while back, and liked it a lot. Intonation was spot-on with the three-saddle bridge, since you've got two wound strings on the same middle barrel. The only thing that drove me nuts was not being able to bend the G string. I must have weak fingers, because I know people say they can do it, but I could barely get a half-step bend no matter how hard I tried. For jazzy stuff, I thought it sounded great.

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Just replace the G string. I usually go with a set of 11s (chromes) and replace it with a plain .19

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.