Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Flame James Burton vs OG 60s Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NothingGoatboat, Jul 13, 2018 at 7:11 PM.

1. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat TDPRI Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Southern California
    Hi everyone! I'm looking to buy my first American Tele! I have a MIM and some knockoffs but decided its time to upgrade. My options are the Blue Flame James Burton Tele or the Original 60s Tele, also blue. I play mostly Brad Paisley/Johnny Hiland type stuff, through a Vox Ac30. I know Paisley is really traditional is his choices, but Hiland uses 3 pickup Kiesel guitars, and they both can get similar tones. What would get me to the tone I want?? Thanks!! 1531523488315.png

guitarguy1964 likes this.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I’d go with the OG 60s.
    I’m neither a Lace Sensor nor a 3 pickup (Strat style) guy.
    Both ARE good instruments.
    I also prefer a rosewood fingerboard (or Pau Ferro), too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 8:30 PM

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 what Bill says.

I don't understand the USA James Burton. I much prefer the MIM James Burton Standard.

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've always thought that for some reason at the time Burton wanted a Tele-shaped, hard-tailed Deluxe Strat Plus with a paisley finish.

5. NothingGoatboat

Aug 26, 2017
    Southern California
    I think the finish is amazing, but Ive never had Lace sensors, just traditional Tele pickups. If that guitar can't get me the tone I love and is overly stratty, the Original 60s would probably be a better choice.

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Yep.

NothingGoatboat likes this.

7. NothingGoatboat

Aug 26, 2017
    Southern California
    Is it still able to capture the twanginess and growl of the bridge pickup?

8. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Mar 18, 2010
    Paris France - Rome Italy
    I am with Bill also, AO 60.

9. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    When I see a SSS Tele it makes me classify it as a Strat in a Tele body/layout. And since there is no pup position to select only bridge + neck, it can't truly give you that Tele sound

Which leads to my next question:

What is the more "true" Tele sound?
    1. SSS
    or
    2. HH

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 2:16 AM

10. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don't own an OG 60s but I do have a 62 AVRI telecaster. I also have one of the original MIA James Burton Telecasters. Both are great guitars, different from each other but both good.

I've noticed some misinformation in the replies here. I would recommend going to fenders website for the specs.

My JB has lace sensor pickups but the new flame guitars do not. They have what Fender calls special design pickups.

The JB is a more versatile guitar and you can get stratocaster type as well as Tele sounds.

You Can get the neck and bridge pickups together on the JB. The middle position is the outside 2 pickups instead of the middle pickups. Fender calls it a strat-o-tele wiring.

A lot of people seem to be down on the JB but I wonder how many have really played them extensively. I will often times switch back and forth during gigs and to me in a live situation the JB has a very convincing Tele sound as well as good strat like sounds. Just my opinion though, if at all possible you should play one.

If you compare them in a very controlled environment i.e. not with other instruments, in the bedroom there definitely is a difference. I am a gigging guitarist and those circumstances are what count to me. Under those circumstances the differences are negligible to my ears.
    Again, it's just my opinion but if I could only have one it would be the JB. I love them both though!

I hope it helped to hear from someone who owns similar guitars.
    Good luck!

11. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Both good instruments but my preference is for the AO :)

NothingGoatboat likes this.

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'd probably opt for the 60's myself. But that depends on which you prefer, a rosewood or maple neck.

No preference here, I enjoy both. I have nothing against a three pickup Tele. I have a Deluxe Nashville and enjoy it's versatility.

The JB maple neck is so light colored, it almost looks white. Especially against the primarily black body. I guess JB himself must have liked it that way. I would have preferred a little amber tint to it.

The "special" design pickups I would have to hear to see how special they really are. Are they revamped Lace Sensors? They kind of look like the old Duosonic pickups. But I'm sure they're to JB's specs.

I wish he and Albert Lee would just go back to the traditional Tele's. Discussion for another day.

The wiring is the B bender configuration. No middle pickup by itself. It does have the S1. They don't divulge what it does. Series or OOP. If you go back to the early Merle Haggard, Burton used the OOP a lot.

The 60's will be a more traditional. It has the PV64 pickups. I have an AV58. The 58 and 64 pickups are pretty similar. And I really like the 58's, all Tele.

I do like the double bound body on the 60's model. Wish black would have been an option though.

Oh well, you can't have everything. Where would you put it?:D

13. NothingGoatboat

Aug 26, 2017
    Southern California
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! I think the 60s is best suited for me. I play more traditional country and some rock, and the JB seems too stratty for me. If it had the Tele bridge, it wouldve been perfect, IMO. Even though I do prefer a maple board, i don't mind it on the 60s, with the amazing double bound LPD body! Thanks everyone!

14. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Guitarguy1964 pretty much hit the nail on the head in his summation of the JB Tele. In their construction, the newer "special design" pickups are nothing like Lace Sensors. If anything they look more like some twin blade Bill Lawrence pickups that I've seen. It seems to me that when James was designing his signature guitar he was more concerned with coming up not only with the ultimate live guitar, but more importantly the ultimate session player's Telecaster. Why take three guitars to a session when you can take one? As well as having what I would consider the best neck profile of any Telecaster, the JB has to be the Swiss Army knife of Telecaster.Regarding functionality / versatility, the JB could very well be the greatest production line Telecaster that Fender has ever made. Here in Scotland it took me 10 years to get one, and I'd never part with it.

guitarguy1964 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.