Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fixing Nail Pops in Drywall

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    drywall screws are too brittle and don't habe the shearing strength for that sort of work, they really shouldn't be used for anything other than hanging drywall.

2. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    So have you learned something new? Son of a carpenter, builder of high end homes on Lake Minnetonka.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Hence the inclusion of wood glue into my scheme.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    The structural strength in this type of construction comes from the plywood nailed to the framing, which is plenty strong, no added strength needed. Also, sheetrock has about zero strength, it's a piece of chalk. Even gluing the SR to the studs only gets you the strength of the paper on the sheetrock. We've all seen how easy it is to peel the paper from sheetrock. It's engineered to be inexpensive, not structural. If you screwed plywood to the studs, under the sheetrock, you will get added strength, but it's kinda like paying $135 for directional cables with gold-plated plugs.

Bones and TheGoodTexan like this.

5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    By the way, my screws and glue scheme is just me mouthing off. Not to be taken seriously. That is, unless it actually turns out to be a good idea, in which case, please do take it seriously.

Blue Bill and nojazzhere like this.

6. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    a lot of the new homes we work on are constructed with 5/8" sheetrock over 5/8" plywood, in theory it's a very solid method. In reality, the framing lumber is so wet nowadays, stuff still moves around as the house dries and settles. Even TGIs twist occasionally.

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Man, you guys just made my day! Yet another Bad Dog discussion where everyone believes that his is the only right way to do something. Will the fun never end?

Andy B likes this.

8. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    you came here expecting something different? If so, you're doing it wrong. :)

Flakey, Andy B and 6stringcowboy like this.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I always thought sheetrock was to add an element of fire-resistance, no? Not that it is FIRE PROOF...just slowing the spread of fire.

10. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Sheetrock was developed as an alternative to plastered wall systems, which, compared to sheetrock, are very labor-intensive, therefore more expensive. They are somewhat fire-retardant, and are available in fire resistant formulations, called firecode or type X, for a buck or two extra per sheet. FC panels will give better protection from a hot oven or stove, but using FC on all walls will not make a house fire proof.

The other benefit of sheetrock is for sound-proofing; the dense mass of the panels is effective in absorbing sonic energy, which blocks sound transmission through walls.

BTW, I'm not affiliate of any kind of wallboard company, nor an actual expert.

Tele1966 likes this.

11. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    That method should work, but I would use Durabond 90 for the deep gouges and dings. Then finish with the pre-mix.

12. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Meister

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Bones, as a pro, what are your thoughts about the mesh tape vs paper tape. I use paper tape, but I'm definitely open to learning what works better, or why one might work better in any given situation.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Oh wow...you would never make it on my crew...lol

14. jhundt

jhundt Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    well you know how to do it right. I didn't know you were in the business. I see a lot of weekend-warrior repairs where the homeowner reads something or sees something on TV, then tries to do it himself and ends up with an unsightly mess. But with your knowledge, experience, skill, tools, and patience I am sure your repair will be excellent.

15. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Mesh tape is only to be used with setting type joint compounds like durabond. Using it with pre-mixed joint compounds will result in cracking and other problems.

16. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    durabond 90 is too slow i work with 20 and then 45. If i were doing this for a client, i would have pre-filled all the cutouts with 20 before applying the mesh, but I combined the first to steps to save some time.

17. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    There's only too things that I consider myself an expert at, this and rescuing dolphins and other other marine mammals. I have made a lot more money doing this.

18. flathd

flathd Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2008
    Twin Cities,MN
    I usually get the Durabond 90 because Home Depot doesn't have the 20 or 45. It will usually do the job in one coat, so I'm not too far behind your two applications of the 20 and 45.

The Durabond 90 sets in about 60 minutes, so I have enough time to do all the patching AND clean the tools, without the need for a chisel.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Our house (1946) has the short-lived in between process :

2 x 5-ish drywall/sheet rock/gypsum board hung w/ crap nails, mud coat (how they got it to stick I don't know - extra lime ?), then the veneer plaster. Wire lath in all the inside corners, and no tape in the joints between sheets.

NO nail pops because they couldn't get through the mud.

To get from there to modern veneer plaster, the sheets get to 4 x 8/10/12, it's screwed in, there's tape obviously, and the mud is omitted.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I would rather rid them from my consciousness.
    Learn to live with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.