Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fixing a small chip in new finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Jsil13, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    IMG_0491.JPG IMG_0492.JPG
    So I made a dumb @$$ rookie mistake while shooting my first clear coats. I got a speck of dust in it, and when I scraped it off it went through all of my color coats into the primer. I tried using a little brush to fill it in knowing it most likely wasn't going to work, and it didn't. So I'm guessing the only way to fix this would be to sand the whole area flat, spray the color again, and then reclear? Since there are already a few coats of clear would I need to mask off the rest of the body to keep the color off of it? I appreciate the help. You guys have been great with my stupid questions.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Is it lacquer?

If so you need to sand everything smooth - but not off. However, yes - you'll need to do a full application of color coats and clear again. Additional material will likely not be an exact match - there are "batch" differences every time a coating is manufactured. And trying to do any partial area will create a difference in depth between it and the already-finished areas.

Good lesson - never use up ALL your material! Additional lacquer will melt in and touch-ups of the same batch, while not perfect, can be hard to see if done carefully.

Jsil13 likes this.

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thanks again Silverface. It is actually Rustoleum 2x paint and clear. I still have some of the color leftover. Since it isn't lacquer it won't be melting into the layers below it. This is another one of those firebird style bodies, so maybe I could sand down left of the raised center part to level it out while I mask the other 2/3 of the body? That way I can reshoot the color to get more of a match. In theory I guess. Haha.

4. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Yeah, with the enamel type finish it's probably worth a try! Enamel simply isn't forgiving and is not abrasion or impact resistant compared to good lacquers or polyurethanes. The impact issue is normally related to adhesion, which is where enamel is really weak.

The biggest challenge will be blending the edges. It's really artwork in this case, and you'll need to thin the color coat quite a bit.

Jsil13 likes this.

5. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thank you. I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it looks. This is my second finishing job and unlike the first one I had avoided runs and did much better prep work so I was thinking it would go a lot smoother. Haha. I should have known better. If I can fix this though I'll be right back on track. You were actually giving me advice on another thread about my first decal application. I truly appreciate it. Here is the neck that got the decal as well as my first finish job. This surf green one is the same body shape. 20914488_10213930018988461_9098020050864965902_n.jpg

DonM likes this.

6. Silverface

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    ^^^ That one looks tremendous!!!

Jsil13 likes this.

7. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thanks man. There are definitely some flaws on it, but I'm probably the only one that will ever notice them. I've been thinking about making the other one into a baritone since I already have two teles and then the telebird. I've definitely learned so much from this forum.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.