Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fix for Reverb Tank Rattle?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Knowcaster, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a Carvin Belair I bought recently. It has a rattle that I traced to the reverb tank, a long 3 spring Accutronics tank. It is definitely the tank, I removed it and laid on the floor and the amp was loud and rattle free. I put it back in the amp, and hello rattle. Any ideas on the best way to reduce or eliminate the rattling tank? Is it possibly a defective tank? I don't see any obvious loose or rattling parts, other than the springs themselves or perhaps the little springs that the spring unit is suspended from. Would putting it in a bag help. like there usually is on older Fender amps? Maybe wrapping it in foam or something? It already has rubber grommets in the mounting holes that suspend the tank a bit from the bottom of the amp.

Any miracle cures out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 12, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    Rubber grommets is the usual approach. You may consider lifting it from the mounting screws with springs or something.

First though, I'd swap out your reverb driver tube... could be microphonic.

3. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you know someone with a bag-equipped reverb tank you could try borrowing the bag to see if that helps. It's gotta help.

4. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Don't think it is the tube, I have swapped that tube out for a couple of others and the rattle is still there. The only thing that makes it stop is removing the tank and laying it on the carpeted floor (still wired up). Then it sounds great. I may simulate a bag by wrapping it in some kind of foam or thick cloth and laying it back in the bottom of the amp. Then if that works I will see if I can find a real bag for that particular tank.

By the way, how are aftermarket bags usually attached to the amp, screws, velcro, etc.??? I never really paid attention before.

5. premiumplus

premiumplus TDPRI Member

Apr 21, 2009
    michigan
    That's strange. Are you sure that its not a wire rattling against the outside of the tank? Also check to make sure that there isn't anything loose (obviously) on the tank itself, like the jacks. A reverb tank doesn't have anything that normally would rattle.

6. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I will go over the tank again, perhaps I can place the tank close to the speakers and have someone play a guitar though the amp to generate the rattle and try to locate exactly what part of the tank is causing it. Seems to happen on certain notes and not others. It is not feedback, but a definite rattle, like loose metal parts vibrating. I also may try a bigger rubber washer or grommet under the mounting screws to try to get additional insulation from the vibration of the amp.

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    reverb tank rattle

as mentioned, some reverb tanks are mounted with rubber bushing so they can "float" somewhat.
    The old Fender style tanks sometimes had a strip of what looks to me like rubber weatherstripping on the top to stop any resonance, and they were often mounted to a piece of wood and packed inside of a vinyl bag which is screwed down tight into the cab.

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    The Accutronics have pins that go through the body and into holes in the pan to keep the pan from deflecting too far.
    These pins can come out and the pan moves too much and rattles.
    The wires can eventually be torn off the pan, too.
    I've replaced the pins with pop rivets.

9. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have checked every part of the tank, including the pins, transducers, springs, etc. several times over, and haven't really been able to identify the source of the rattle. The rubber grommets seem fine. I know it has to be some kind of part rattling, it is really frustrating to not be able to find it!

I tried wrapping the tank in a small towel and that seemed to eliminate the rattle. I may look into making a homemade bag out of thick cloth of some kind. We'll see if that works.

10. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I finally found the rattle. I thought I would post again since I think the issue could be a problem with any Accutronics tank and it may help someone else down the road.

Someone mentioned the pins that keep the spring tray from deflecting too far, and that is exactly what it was. It was not readily evident, but one of the pins was slightly loose in its "socket", where it mounts to the sheetmetal cover of the tank. It was just loose enough to rattle at certain frequencies, but not so loose that it was obvious on inspection. To fix it I ran a bead of solder around the joint where the pin is inserted through the sheetmetal and heated it with a small torch to make a collar around the pin. Hard to describe exactly, but anyway, it has solved the problem for now. We will see how it holds up. Beats buying a new tank.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.