Five 12" Celestion and Eminence speakers reviewed

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scout2112, Dec 7, 2018.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

9BB46459-5562-4654-A07E-D64944FF86FC.jpeg

I spent an evening with 5 different pairs of broken-in speakers and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. I loaded up each set one by one decide which pair to keep in the amp, and took the time to review each with few comments. I play mostly classic rock, not metal, and prefer a vintage tone. For reference they were all 8 ohm speakers, and all of the Celestion speakers were made in China.

Celestion Seventy 80 (80W):

5CCB1EC1-C2A1-44F1-84EE-D742EE03D63C.jpeg

I knew these weren't going to blow me away, but wanted to get a point of reference. They have a pretty wimpy looking magnet on them in comparison with the others. They are the Toyota Corolla's of the speaker world... nothing fancy but get the job done. They sound typically Celestion... with a fairly neutral tonal response. I've got a Blackstar 4x12 cab loaded with these and it sounds great with the Blackstar head. I think this speaker has to be matched with the amp, and they just don't work for me in a Twin Reverb. A good bang-for-your-buck speakers if you're on a budget. 7/10

Eminence GB128 (50W):

49A47FA0-7A20-4CED-A7FE-5FB83AA8FD2B.jpeg

These were the only non-Celestion speakers that I had, and not surprisingly they sounded very different from the rest. They are billed as being British-sounding, and I wouldn't disagree. They're kind of like a Celestion G12M greenback "imposter"... they sound similar, but also not similar. I would love these in a closed back 4x12 with a nice Marshall head to go with it, but in a Fender Twin they are not my first choice because I'm looking for a more even tonal response. These are priced aggressively, and as such I would choose these in a heartbeat over a set of Celestion greenbacks which are 3X the price. 9/10.

Celestion V-Type (70W):

196B839C-179A-4E2A-8E92-CEB1C73053E3.jpeg

Came stock with my Twin, probably because it has a tone that makes the cleans sound pleasing, almost like a human singing voice. I'd say they sound typically Celestion, but with more scooped mids. It's a great sounding speaker but for overdrive tones I found that I liked other speakers over this one, as I preferred to have more mids in my tone. I also tried mixing one Celestion V-Type and one Eminence GB128 together in the 2x12, and they complimented eachother nicely, with the eminence adding the mids that are missing out on the V-type. 8/10

Celestion Classic Lead 80 (80W):

1477D449-23F6-4696-A3AD-2C1BDAF5326A.jpeg

Based on looks I expected it to be the best of the bunch. The 50 oz. magnet and metal housing on it are both massive. It had a typical Celestion neutral tone, and the cleans sounded fantastic. When I added dirt I found it broke up easily with the mids getting too muddy for my taste. Note recognition was less discernible to me than with other speakers when playing chords with distortion. It's a good speaker but not what I'm after when I want overdrive. 8/10

Celestion G12K-100 (100W):

36FECCE0-BCBA-4CB0-8380-EE04D0521291.jpeg

This has the same weight 50 oz magnet as the Classic Lead 80, but the metal housing of the speaker looks a little more shallow. I don't know anything about speaker designs, so I can only attest to how it sounds. I found this to be the most impressive speaker of the bunch. It had a touch sensitivity rivaled the Jensen alnico in my 5E3 with sparkly highs. Overdrive tone is where this speaker stood above the rest. It was less muddy than the Lead 80, had better mids than the V-type, and had a better tonal range than the GB128. It hs the 'it' factor that I was looking for, and is a speaker that makes me want to just play. 10/10.

I did also record audio samples of each, that I'll try to post a link to soon.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    JayFreddy, flyswatter, tho618 and 7 others like this.
  2. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

I put together a video of the speaker comparison:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Vid dont werk

4. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Sorry - apparently the video didn't render correctly the first time. Here it is:

The speakers in order of appearance in the video are:
    Celestion Classic Lead 80 (80W)
    Celestion G12K-100 (100W)
    Celestion Seventy 80 (80W)
    Celestion V-Type (70W)
    Eminence GB128 (50W)
    I did clean first, and then dirt

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for putting in all that time and effort!

I'd like to hear the Eminence George Allesandro in a Twin, as well as the Celestion Classic 30 and Eminence Governor.

I have a 212 cab with Texas Heats in it, and another with Governors. I actually prefer the Governors for a clean tone, it's a thicker, sweeter tone to my ears.

6. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

My takeaway from the project is that when mic'ed the Seventy 80 can really hold it's own against the more expensive Celestion's. I'm almost tempted to put them in the amp now because all else being roughly equal it would reduce the weight of the amp by about 8 lbs. But... there's a pretty big difference in sound/clarity when you're in the same room with the amp. I preferred the dirt tone of the Classic Lead 80 with the mic, but ambiently I preferred the GK12-100. I'd love to demo some more speakers.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    JayFreddy likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for taking the time to share. What were the volume and tone settings on that amp?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.