Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Fist Build Help

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by sirnoel, Dec 5, 2017.

1. sirnoel

sirnoel TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Chicago
    Hey Forum. I need some advise.

I am doing a first of a 5f1 circuit. I have the mojo tone small parts kit and much of the rest I am salvaging from a Magnavox amp unit I found on Ebay. I imaging there are going to be a lot of questions along the way but here is the first one.

The chassis I am using from the Magnavox is a bit bigger than the champ chassis so I have more room to work, but the tubes face down at a 90 angle from where the components would be rather than directly across.
    IMG_3744.jpg

What that means is that I don't have a clear space to mount the eyelet board rather than right on top of the tube sockets like this:
    IMG_3745.jpg

There is clearance enough to put a piece of particle board underneath so that the components don't touch. But, other than making it hard to get to the tubes pint without taking it off, do you see any problems with this approach? Any better ideas. Nothing issoldered yet. Just trying to make a good plan before I start choosing places do drill holes for jacks and such

Here is a closer picture.
    IMG_3746.jpg

Thanks for you help. Now and in the time to come.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

2. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Will this be a head or combo unit? That will have to be factored in before you decide on how your layout will work. Your plan will be fine but you may want to use a narrower board so that it doesn't cover your tube sockets. Something around 2 1/2" wide should work. You may want to post this over in the Shock Brothers forum to get more responses.

3. sirnoel

sirnoel TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Chicago
    I'm building a combo, so I can test my carpentry skills along with my electronics skills. I posted over on Shock Brothers. Thanks for the tip.

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    Just get some terminal strips and do it birds nest...

Wally likes this.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    A simple Google search came up with the answer:

"To make a proper fist, make certain that your fingers are tightly clenched and that your thumb is securely wrapped around your second and third knuckles."

Wally and Georox like this.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    A Champ is so simple that you might not even need terminal strips. It can be done in pure point to point.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.