First wild bison in 250 years shot dead...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Hmm, there's a difference? Cool.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BUFFALO AND BISON?

Not everyone knows the difference between buffalo and bison. Calling a bison a buffalo is inaccurate, but a common mistake. It’s so common, in fact, that we sometimes use the two interchangeably. But if you really want to know the difference between a buffalo and a bison, the American Bison is native to North and South America and Europe, while the other two buffalo species reside in Africa and Asia. Bison and buffalo share the same family, but there are over 38 types of buffalo and, unlike bison, many of them have been domesticated.

A few more fun facts; North American bison have a beard, while their Asian relatives don’t and American Bison can live in really cold places, like Wyoming!

Traditionally, buffalo meat was prized as an essential part of the Native American diet. Today, bison are thriving due to smart management and breeding efforts and restoration of their native grazing land. By purchasing bison meat, you are helping to continue a ranching tradition that has been a way of life here in the Mountain West for hundreds of years.

Source: https://jhbuffalomeat.com/blogs/news/what-is-the-difference-between-buffalo-and-bison

getbent likes this.
  3. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

The bison should have claimed migrant status and asked for copious welfare benefits.

Chunkocaster and getbent like this.
  4. Bones

All the Bison in my photos are farm raised for food and breeding animals for part of various restoration efforts around the country. The rancher owns a restaurant in town that serves Bison.

getbent and JuneauMike like this.
  5. JuneauMike

We had Plains Bison introduced near Delta Junction in the 20s and Wood Bison near Bethel just a few years ago. The Wood bison numbers are almost enough to hunt now.

getbent likes this.
  6. Bones

That's the important part, get enough so we can start eliminating them again. Kinda like paying off all your credit card debt so you can charge more on your credit cards.

getbent likes this.
  7. JuneauMike

Exactly (expect for that bit about credit cards). Manage your resources for sustained yield and you will have the resource for as long as you need it.

8. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Alberta (Canada) has a bison hunting season in northern Alberta. Not sure what the dates are for this season but last year it was from December, 2017 until February, 2018.

JuneauMike and getbent like this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to love getting a bison burger an a beer at Dave Ling's place in Rifle, Colorado... long gone.... but a great memory.

10. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

11. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

All large mammals are just asking to be slaughtered. Apparently, it's fun. For some people.

12. JuneauMike

Hey PETA, calm down. Slaughtering large mammals is not fun, its hard work. But steak is more enjoyable to eat than salad for most people.

Whats with all the virtue signaling on TDPRI tonight?

telestratosonic likes this.
  13. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Holic

Brandenburg's Environment Minister Jörg Vogelsänger has stated that although they may be Europes largest land mammal, the bison are not known to be dangerous. If they were then half of Poland would have to be declared a danger zone and the bison is both a national symbol and an animal that roams freely. ...................... Sorry but this is just a big steaming load of Bison Crap. Bison are large,strong and unpredictable. They can be very dangerous to humans

14. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I guess my priorities are out of line, but I am far more disgusted with the thought of a school shooting than a picture of someone doing something entirely legal.

I just can't fathom equating a human life with that of an animal.

telestratosonic likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, I'm an equal-opportunity offender!

Depending on your wiki-resolve, you can attribute the rescue of the French wine industry to several states, and I'm kind of surprised that no one from Texas has declared their outrage. More than one report attributes the salvation to more than one person and one state. In this report, a certain Thomas Volney Munson, from Denison, Texas:

Munson's work enabled him to help save the European grape and wine industry from devastating fungus and insect attacks. In the 1840s European vineyards had been ravaged by the fungus parasite oidium. During that time France suffered losses of nearly 80 percent of its vines. The European wine industry imported native labrusca rootstock from the United States, but these cuttings brought in phylloxera, a plant louse, which attacked the slowly recovering vineyards. In 1868 phylloxera was discovered in southern France; more than 6 million acres of vineyards were destroyed in France, Germany, and other regions of Europe. The French wine industry, knowing of Munson's expertise, requested that he send some of the grape hybrid rootstock that he had developed during his studies at Denison. He shipped phylloxera-resistantrootstock to France, where it was grafted with varieties of European vinifera. Munson's work and that of another horticulturalist, Hermann Jaeger, helped save the European wine industry from total devastation. Because of Munson's role, the French government in 1888 sent a delegation to Denison to confer on him the French Legion of Honor Chevalier du Mérite Agricole. Munson also received numerous other awards and honors. In 1898 he was elected as a foreign corresponding member of the Société Nationale d'Agriculture de France and as an honorary member in the Société des Viticulteurs de France.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmu08

Interesting, but probably all too common inconsistency within Wiki - this article credits Munson as the savior, and doesn't even mention Jaeger! Outrageous!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_French_Wine_Blight

I guess I kind of like the California rootstock rescued version because it involves greed and double dealing - you know, like human business endeavors. Story goes that California growers offered to help the French - but only at an extravagant price. At that time, the California wine industry was enjoying a distinct advantage over the French. Zut Alors! The version I read was that a Texan heard of that "egregious" ransom effort, bought some California rootstock at the going US price and sold that to the French, taking only a "small profit". Tragically, this was a story I heard back in the 70's when I lived in California and I can't find a internet version to link. Hmmm.

My best guess is that the rescue probably did not come from a single source. Humans seem to be resistant to being told what to do or how to do it.

I'm now just pondering the meta-ness of our esteemed colleague @JuneauMike being offended by thread-jacking and "politics". I think its time to splash a little French armagnac in my coffee.

16. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Having grown up five miles from the site of Herman Jaeger’s vineyard, I heard the story of his role in saving France’s wine industry when I was a child. Later on, I came to know that other American rootstocks were involved. I was surprised that you had overlooked the Texas contributions, since much Texas phenomena are wildly exaggerated.

Thread-jacking doesn’t bother me, unless someone else does it.

teletimetx likes this.
  17. telestratosonic

Bison are no longer an endangered species.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know what's going on, but it isn't a "Binary" situation at all. Some people hate shooting animals, some people want to protect habitat, some people think eating any red meat is bad because it leads to substantial consumption of "factory" red meat that's filled with heavy metals and horrible persistent organic compounds. Some people see a vivid distinction between animals that are domesticated, versus wild animals who can subsist and haven't lost their souls. Some don't. Some people love eating meat but refuse to do their part to go out and be predators and hunt and keep the critters from eating everything to the ground as locusts do. Some people think the thread is pure amusement. The only Common Denominator is, nobody is listening to the other guy at this point.

2blue2 likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is a terrible, shocking thing you're doing, making an argument in this manner. Outrageous. The fact that I cannot put into words, why you never do it this way, just makes it worse. You're brutalizing us and we can't tell how or why.

But just for starters, the life of a high schooler killed in the most murderous way is not the same as the life of a used up, former 2d tier 77 year old stock car driver who want to get out of the way and leave room for others to thrive. And the pet I have interacted with moment to moment for 14 years is not the same thing as a chicken that was cultivated for slaughter. And on from there into the land where words do not reside. I hope you will reconsider your way of thinking about these things.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  20. telestratosonic

To each his own, Tonetele, and I'm not being snarky. For many people, especially in rural, isolated areas of Canada, going to the local grocery store for reasonably priced meat (Walmart, Costco, Safeway, etc.) is not an option. This applies to indigenous as well as to non-indigenous people. If one has wild game right on the doorstep, so to speak, it makes much more sense to hunt.

There was a piece in the news recently about a school a couple of hours from me where deer hunting is part of the school curriculum for those youth, male and female, who wish to participate. In the far north, Inuit kids have been learning about, and participating in, seal and caribou hunting through school programs as well.

Tuktoyaktuk, which sits on the shores of the Arctic Ocean, doesn't have a Walmart Superstore or a Costco. To buy meat there, if it's even available, is horrendously expensive. If one wants meat, he/she has to go out on the land or ice, often under adverse conditions (-35 F/C is normal in winter), find a seal, hopefully kill it and get it back home to the family and elders who are not able to hunt for themselves. While hunting for a seal, the hunter has to be on the lookout for polar bears who like to snack on hunters as well as seals. This is a real danger in Canada's north.

If someone took a picture of me beside my recently killed seal or caribou which I knew was going to eaten, I'd certainly be smiling.

As I said at the top, I'm not trying to be snarky but few things are black and white.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.