Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First wild bison in 250 years shot dead...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by schmee, Jan 11, 2019 at 12:25 PM.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Yep. It's a shame, though, that there's no real accurate way to measure sincerity. I suspect if you could you'd find that many people aren't nearly as outraged as they purport to be. Ah well...

haggardfan1, getbent and blowtorch like this.
  2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Agreed, but I would still rather see and photograph more of this....
    DSC03520.JPG

DSC03515.JPG

Not less.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I bet buffalo babies are nice and tender. MMmmmm...

bender66 and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    depending on your frame of reference for a time scale, everyone and everything is an immigrant, the casual detritus of flip-flopping black holes and star ovens...

but I was kind of thinking of it like the rescue of French and other European vineyards from aphid-induced phylloxera. The aphids were thought to have been introduced from California via grafting research in the vineyards. After being decimated by the disease, the European vineyard were salvaged by grafting on to disease-resistant rootstock (from California). In effect, re-introducing rootstock that had been planted by vintners hundreds of years earlier in California. I guess that leads to the question of where did grapes come from originally - Central Asia? the Mediterranean?

jhundt likes this.
  5. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    At any rate, I'd say 250 years is a good long stretch for wild bison to go without getting shot. He had a good run

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:42 PM
    2blue2, Toto'sDad and JuneauMike like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yes it drifted in from Poland. I doubt that have an abundance, but the point is that how did the German officials react? "OMG! Shoot it quick"

teleplunker, Straydogger and Boubou like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Grape story brah! ha ha! a grape by any other name (or origin) WOULD taste as sweet.

teletimetx and jhundt like this.
  8. getbent

well.... I've seen enough old westerns to know about drifters! they're no account I tell ya!

skunqesh, Straydogger and schmee like this.
  9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I'll refrain from making a polish joke.
    Polish jokes were so common when I was in elementary school, I actually thought Poles were mentally challenged. sad

Toto'sDad and schmee like this.
  10. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    can't say for sure about Germany. For Holland - where I live - this is pretty true. We do have large grazing animals; they are mostly living in well-defined and contained nature areas. There is a lot of interest in increasing the number and variety and range of these animals, but it always runs up against human problems.

A few years ago we had a very bitter winter, and the large grazing animals were suffering, and dying. Many people went out to feed them, and to save them. The nature conservancy agency said "no! stop! animals dying because of severe winter is part of the great plan!". This created a huge controversy which is still playing out in the courts.

Large predators are virtually non-existent. Wolves have been slowly re-emerging in Germany. A few have been sighted in Holland. The estimated population at this time is 2.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

Don't know how we could document this in no uncertain terms, but I can easily imagining this news story really getting out there and to people in Europe and elsewhere. Germany (in general) and Brandenburg (in particular) could be short Hundreds of Thousands, maybe Millions of Euros in tourist revenue. Lost. Change your plans to go to Poland instead.

There's some American Bison at the Shelby Farms Park in the NE section of Memphis, TN. Or you could go see the Bison at the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge (still open except for visitor center) near Lawton, OK. And there's some at Land Between the Lakes in western TN/KY, and when they get out, they're carefully returned to their confines. They're far larger, feistier than the European ones and it just isn't a big deal.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 3:56 PM
  12. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

When ungulates reproduce and re-invent themselves to the point they're unable to handle naturally occurring cycles of weather and food supply, they weaken and they become highly susceptible to various wasting diseases, brucellosis and so forth. I say, make sure the bitter weather is not enough to kill more than half of them but otherwise, hands off. To do otherwise is to direct the herds into a condition where they could never be re-introduced into a wild setting. At that point you have a simulation of animals and not the real thing. Not meaning to offend but your entire mindset has become domesticated. The further the restrained herds drift from the creature they just killed in Brandenburg, the less wonder they possess and the more their existence is a lie.

14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    More Wolves = more Bison.

telemnemonics, skunqesh and Boubou like this.
  15. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2014
    Texas and Louisiana
  16. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  17. getbent

that is a great deal of improvement and positive direction from your previous post in late 1977 in which you stated 'I hate people'.

Good job!

18. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Seen wild European bison on a trip to Eastern Poland. They're magnificent huge critters but just sort of look at you in a disinterested kind of way while they're grazing -- until you get a bit too close. Then they give you that "any closer, pal, and you'll be steamrollered" stare. Time to beat a dignified retreat.

19. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2013
    The Hudson Valley
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.