Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

First Tolex cabinet

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by jsnwhite619, Mar 21, 2017.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I've been working on this off and on for a few months now and I'm finally in the short rows. I guess it's basically a Hot Rod type ext. cabinet. But I'm digging it.

I did my usual 1/2" finger joint pine cab. 16x20". Before the baffle it only weighed 9 pounds, but I haven't weighed it again.

I used the Tite Bond hide glue that I used for my Tweed. Water soluble and no fumes. If you've never used it you ought to give a try. I looked closely at my Pro Jr. cab and realized that they hit the corners on a sander to even out the overlap on the corners, so I did the same with 320 sandpaper and it looks a lot closer to their factory job now.

It was easier than Tweed in a lot of ways, but the corners don't let you cheat as much as you can with Tweed. Tweed will stretch, I sand the corners, then shellac it all. The black tolex isn't as forgiving. There's a little bit of black transtint dye in a few places to hide the wood.
    1490071267071.jpg
    1490071292110.jpg

Bill Moore and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  2. D'tar

D'tar Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    WNY
    That looks good to me!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Nordlicht

Nordlicht TDPRI Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Germany
    Nice work! Will a head cabinet follow??

I never worked with tolex. Is it possible to work with a hot air gun for stretching the tolex at the corners?

6. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I used a hair dryer, and it does help make it more flexible and stretch a little. It also help set the hide glue. I assumed the tolex would be impermeable, but when I would go over a side with the hair dryer, I could see tiny little drops "sweating" through the tolex. Wipe it off with a damp cloth and it's clean.

This is for a head. A friend has a Kemper head and the idea is to try this for the "vintage American" models on there -- basically for Fender sounds. He found a green vinyl that matched the Kemper color perfectly, but it had a felt backing on it that made it impossible to glue down as secure as we wanted. I tried wood glue, hide glue, and vinyl floor adhesive, and the felt would always separate when I pulled on it. Not falling off, but not anything that I thought would last through use and travel. Btw, mineral spirits and steel wool is the best way to get the floor adhesive off. It was like scraping gum off a shoe, even after 2 weeks of cure time.

So, this project started before Christmas, and we finally ditched the other material and just went with the Tolex. The end is finally in sight!

7. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Meister

May 24, 2016
    Florida
    Next time try spray painting the corners the same color as the Tolex before you cover the cab, it's easy insurance against imperfect corners.

It looks like you did an excellent job, especially for not having done it before! It took me three cabs before I got the top and bottom panel overlap just right, but I guess if you've done tweed before you've had some practice with that part.

jsnwhite619 likes this.
  8. jsnwhite619

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    That's a good tip about the corners. I didn't think of it, but I'll use it in the future!

Sent from my XT1585 using TDPRI mobile app

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.