Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Timer: Question on Nitro Spray Can Finishing

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Zaden, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Zaden

Zaden TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2010
    UK
    Hi all,

As the title implies, I am undertaking my first build and have begun the process of finishing the body. I am going for a solid colour nitro finish from a spray can.

My question is as simple as this; should the body feel somewhat rough after spraying the body with a number of coats of white primer?

I sanded the filler/sealer back to the point where it was beautifully smooth, however after spraying the white primer the body is somewhat rough to touch again. I have sanded back but should I expect to need to do this with my colour finish too?

Cheers

2. It depends on what you mean by rough. Primer is not meant to be a glossy smooth finish so it wont feel smooth like glass. It is more on how does it look? Does it look orange pealed or flat? If it is orange pealed then it is your spray technique.

Also, it is generally not a good idea to touch your finish between coats unless you are sanding. If you do, you need to wipe it down with naphtha before your next coat to remove any residue from your skin that could cause adhesion problems with your next layer.

Pics are always helpful.

Great to see you jumping in!

Eric

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Toadtele likes this.

3. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2004
    West Texas Desert
    What are you using as a primer? Shellac? If it's sandpaper rough, you'll need to sand it flat like your filler coat was. If you sand through, respray. It's a pain in the neck.

4. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    Yes it feels rough when I spray something like BIN primer- sand it smooth and repeat a couple of times before nitroing it

5. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Is it possible you're getting overspray or bounceback? If you have perfect-storm conditions (hot, no air circulation, atomization hard to control with spray-bomb cans) it's possible for the mist particles hang in the air long enough to dry, then settle on the work without melting in, leaving a rough finish. When that happens you'd need to smooth it out before the next coat - an old timers trick is to use brown craft paper (remember grocery store bags that were paper?) instead of sand paper for smoothing out overspray.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Yes, but not after sanding.

However, I'm more concerned about your question left unasked -

What are you applying AFTER the primer; how are you applying it; what are you expecting to do between coats?

If lacquer your "coats" are made up of multiple light passes and finished with clear coats where only the final one or two are "flood coats; there is NO sanding between lacquer coats (except for fixing tiny runs) and if much sanding appears to be needed after final; clear application something is wrong with the application technique. Light sanding with no rougher than 1500 maybe, but straight to buffing is what *should* be the result.

You should already know this and be working out all the products and techniques on scrap wood - everything from prep to polishing - before applying a drop to the actual guitar part. It's generally a bad (and costly ) idea to learn on the actual guitar.

Have you read all the material on Reranch.com? That's a good place to start.

7. Zaden

Zaden TDPRI Member

Aug 13, 2010
    UK
    Hi Silverface.

I have indeed through re-ranch, along which watching copious amounts of youtube tutorials. The outline of my intentions from here out would be as such;
    1. -a final coat of primer with potential light sanding until smooth. A final coat is need as sanding has taken be back to the wood on the edge of the body.
    2. Light coats of colour from a nitro spray can until one or two coats over what looks complete to the eye. I then understand some wet-sanding may be needed?
    3. Finish it off with 2-3 coats of clear finish
    You mention a "flood coat", I assume this is a wetter application on the final coat or two?

Thanks,
    Z

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.