First thread and posts: lefty T-stylish for my 6 year old

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dodecadon, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking on this forum for years and have never really posted anything. I did attend a guitar building training with French master luthier Kamel Chenaouy back in 2006.

After my 1st build life took its natural 30 something swerve where family, career and children became more important in terms of time consumption. As time went on my kids got into music too. My eldest (8 years old) is into percussion and drums and the youngest one (6 years old) has decided not to do anything else but electric guitar with my Jazz guitar teacher. He cannot start before next year though (7).

I'm the alien in my house, being the only right handed person here. So my son's obsession for guitar playing is pushing me back into building... and the builds on this forum too. I have also moved into a new house last year, giving me some space to work.

So here we go. A T-style lefty for my son that might take some time to finish. I will have to make it light but balanced for my boy. The only other requirement is... Red! He is freakingly obsessed by this color.

So the first pic here is one of the client , he's the one with the T-shirt. [​IMG]

Envoyé de mon Redmi 3S en utilisant Tapatalk

2. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

Let's start with the wood I have for this build. I'm sorry, I am not very good at wood identification. A friend of mine cut this piece of wood for me some 2 years ago. In French we call it "frêne olivier". It's a type of ash (olivier is olive tree ).

The blank is 38 mm thick. So I'll have to add a table, got an American maple table lying around somewhere.

Note that there is a rot line on the blank. It is only on the top and doesn't go down to the other side of the blank. This will be routed out as I take some of the wood out to lighten the body. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Arch Stanton and guitarbuilder like this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Welcome! Looks good so far, nice wood & template. :)

Did you consider a shorter scale length for the lad? Or is he already shredding full-size necks?!

Dodecadon likes this.
  4. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

Thanks SecretSquirrel,
    The guitar will be in standard scale.

Habit has it that all students in our village music school have all year round public performance. My 8 year old (obviously the biggest child on the first pic) has already done 8 concerts over the past 3 years.

This is why I am looking to build a lightweight guitar. I will also try to put some all rounder pick ups on this so that he can use the guitar for some years and in different styles.

5. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

beautiful post and good pic of the kids. Gotta say the grin on the little girl takes the cake. So cool that you can share the love of music with your sons and good luck with the build.

6. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Great looking children !
    Your project is wonderful … and welcome to TDPRI :)

Treadplatedual and Dodecadon like this.
  7. Guigui34

Guigui34 TDPRI Member

Nice wood and nice project !
    I think that what we call "frêne olivier" here in France is just ash that has grown in special soil that colored and give an aspect of some kind of "oliver wood".

8. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

She can make everyone melt with her smile, but hell she's a chatterbox!

Thanks for the warm welcome Tery

Content d'avoir un compatriote Guigui.
    Thanks for your welcome.

9. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

Hey again,
    When my friend Hervé cut the blanks, he thought about planning them. So there was no work to do to glue the body into one piece.

I went for the local Sader glue which is like 1/3 of the price of Titebond exc. VAT and shipping.

So there you go with the dry test and then the real gluing. I made a mess with the excess glue, lack of experience. The whole thing is drying out nicely now.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you for building one for your son and not trying to convert him ! Well played !

Dodecadon likes this.
  11. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

My eldest has to be ambidexter for drums. However, nature has made them left handed, I will never force them to change. Many people have told me to force him on a right handed but I prefer building a good lefty for him and carry on doing it all his life if needed.

Treadplatedual likes this.
  12. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

I know nothing about building anything, but I've played left handed for 40 years, and just wanted to say that it's wonderful what you're doing for your son, particularly supporting him playing in the way that is most comfortable! And Vive la France!

Dodecadon likes this.
  13. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

I traced the body on the glued blanks and started out taking some mass out. The idea is to have a 20mm recess in the body and then final rout the pot cavity. The table would cover the rest of it. So no top mounted pots.

Issue is that I got my old chisels out of a box that had stayed outside for a whole year. I used a sharpening stone to rub all the rust off them and really tried to sharpen them (if there is a hand sharpening tutorial somewhere, better than the one I found on YouTube, I will gladly learn from it). At the end of the day it was messier than ever. [​IMG][​IMG]

DaphneBlue likes this.
  14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_sharp

https://www.instructables.com/id/Scary-Sharp-on-a-Budget/

Dodecadon likes this.
  15. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot guitarbuilder, that goes directly in my things to learn folder.

In the meantime I found this guy, his job is "rémouleur" in French. I basically live on the French Riviera, but what people do not know is that this region is extremely rural even if people drive around in expensive cars. So, the "rémouleur" would translate into the re-moulder, the guy who re moulds blades. He drives around in a small van in all the small villages and towns we have here and sharpens whatever needs to be sharpenned.

So he took my old tools and for the sum of 25 Euros/27 USD, I got those razor sharp chisels home.

Sometimes I just feel lucky to live in a region that is somewhat trapped in time and still have people doing those long lost jobs. He is the only one here.

And he is a really nice guy to discuss with. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Holic

A demanding client! Looking forward to this build.

17. Dodecadon

Dodecadon TDPRI Member

Demanding indeed, he goes around on his bike and frequently comes to check the work.

It was a hectic weekend, we had our strawberry festival here. I however chiselled away slowly and consistently. Man, those 90° are not easy to get.

Once cleaned out, I will finish the recesses with a router. I am still at 18mm depth, I have some more material to dig out.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

It's great that you are not crippling his guitar playing abilities by forcing him to play R/H. When I was 10, I was minding my own business trying to pick Chet Atkins licks off a record on a guitar I restrung L/H. My dad freaked out and made me restring it back R/H rattling several ridiculous reasons for not playing L/H.

I tried for years off and on trying to play R/H, but it always seemed like I was clubbing the strings strumming and picking with my non dominant hand. I bought my first L/H guitar when I was 29, but by then, all of that potential for learning and mastering new thing the children have was long gone.

Someone asked Paul McCartney why he played L/H and he looked at them like they were from Mars and matter of factly stated: "Because I am Left handed."

To simple, isn't it?

19. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Sadly , far too many will never accept this simple reality . Hope remains !

Dodecadon and crazydave911 like this.
  20. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

Great project man, love your style. As for the left handed thing - you’re doing the right thing, best to leave natural things as they are.

My commiserations to stratclub. When I was young I thought the likes of Paul McCartney and Jimi Hendrix looked pretty cool being left handed, so I restrung my first acoustic lefty style. I already knew a few basic chords, but just couldn’t make them work the other way round. Needless to say that experiment lasted all of about 10 minutes! :D :rolleyes:

Dodecadon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.