First thinline build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adirondak5, Oct 23, 2010.

1. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

MY MY MY MY --- Yea , good memories :)

2. adirondak5

Well , its been a few weeks since the last of the clear was sprayed on this neck , it's been hanging in the closet in air conditioning , the finish is hard , no smell , I'm going to get it wet sanded and buff it this morning. I started off with 1000 grit , usually I don't start off with that high a grit but it's pretty smooth

[​IMG]

It didn't take long to get it nice and level with no shinny spots with the 1000 grit , went to 1500 next , all in all took about 45 minutes , then I got the buffing arbor set up

[​IMG]

Loaded up the wheels with Menzerna medium and fine compounds and started buffing , about 5 minutes on the medium and a touch longer on the fine and here's the outcome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The decal is buried great , no sign of any outline

[​IMG]

I'll give it a final hand polish with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze in a while , and then start getting this build wrapped up , man it's been a long time coming :p

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

:eek::eek::eek:

Attached Files:

4. adirondak5

Ha , thanks Dave , gotta say , this is a real purty neck , the buffing station works like a charm, so do those Menzerna compounds .

5. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

What an awesome neck! That looks really good Herb

drool-drool-drool

Wow, the headstock looks great. Seeing yours makes me want to take the time to properly bury the decal on my build. Mine has the very noticeable build-up of finish on top of the decal typical of not sanding..:rolleyes:

Your shop and toolage is very top self! Keep up the awesome work..;)

6. adirondak5

OK , time to get the tuners installed , Fender Vintage Tuners , nickel finish , to press in the bushings I put a transfer punch in my drill press that was a touch bigger than the bushing hole and pushed them in

[​IMG]

a little side note , so I don't need to put the buffer away to get to my bench everytime I set the buffer up , I used a few Lowes gift cards (Christmas , birthday , father's day) and picked this up , it just happened to fit right in the closet area of my work shop , not a bad little bench , bottom shelf , 3 good size drawers and top storage area , and a nice little auxiliary work station.

[​IMG]

Back to the tuners , after the bushings are installed I put the tuners in , and line them up with a straight edge , the nice thing with the Stewmac Tuner jig and bushing reamers is the fit is snug , very easy to line up and stay straight for marking and center punching the screw holes

[​IMG]

Screw holes center punched

[​IMG]

I like using a hand drill and 1/16" bit marked with a piece of blue tape for depth to drill the tuner screw holes

[​IMG]

These tuners come with either slotted screws or phillips head screws , I used the phillips head since the rest of the guitar has phillips head screws . I soap the screws and installed them but don't tighten them all the way until they are all in and I check for straightness of all the tuners then tighten the screws up all the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. adirondak5

Hey Marty , thanks a lot , the decal burying was pretty easy , just gotta wait on the old lacquer shrinkage and concentrate the wet sanding the first time or two right over the decal , I did like 4 coats on top of the decal , then wet sanded only the decal area , then 3 more coats , wet sand decal area and lightly on the rest of the face of the headstock , then 3 more coats and wet sand the face of the headstock , all in all only about an hour of work over a week or so.

The shop is my pride and joy , I spend a lot of time in there tinkering , my wife loves it , she always knows where I am :lol:

8. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Looks spectacular, as always, Herb.

9. Stratoplus

Stratoplus TDPRI Member

Went to this whole thread this evening! One day I can build like this too. I hope.

Those necks are stunning!

10. adirondak5

Thanks Mark :D

Thanks Stratoplus , glad you like the thread and the necks , all the builds and advice on this forum got me to this point , this is a great place to start from ;)

11. ludobag1

ludobag1 Tele-Meister

nice build ;)
    this neck is fantastic :D

12. adirondak5

Thanks ludobag1

13. crazydave911

Welcome to the forum! :D I'd say you'll do just fine, percentage wise for the size of the country, there's probably more Dutch builders here than any other place ;)

Dave

14. Stratoplus

Stratoplus TDPRI Member

I randomly checked a 2011 Challenge topic today and saw it was started by a Dutch guy, and I noticed that the topic was full of Dutch people indeed ;)

And now you said that, for such a small country we do have a few very good guitar building shops where you can buy almost anything. But I still would prefer living in the USA regarding building guitars, if you're new to this, most of the information comes from English sources, but that's very confusing with a lot of terms and product names.

Excuse me for going a little bit off-topic :lol:

15. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

That's looking really really good, and I love the vintage tuners...

16. adirondak5

+1 on welcome to the forum Stratoplus , where were my manners :oops:, thanks for picking up on that Dave

Stratoplus , any info you need just post your questions (start a thread) , all of the forum members are great folks and would either get an answer back to you or point you in the right direction for what you are looking for .

Thanks jonal335 , IMO the vintage tuners are hard to beat , price wise and functionality wise

17. adirondak5

If all is right in the universe this neck should line up properly with the bridge.

O.K. , looks good , the high E is not exactly over the pole but that's ok , gotta little room on the saddle to slide it a touch and get it closer , looks like I'm good to mark the holes and drill the neck , I am not going to use inserts on this one , just regular neck screws .

[​IMG]

Center punched the neck and got the drill bit marked for depth with tape and drilled the holes

[​IMG]

After the holes were drilled took my countersink and just chamfered the edges of the holes by hand

[​IMG]

Next I put the neck back in the pocket and soaped up the neck screws and installed them

[​IMG]

Also installed the strap buttons , nickel plate , soaped those screws as well , all that's left is to install the Rutters cup and string it back up , but first I need to go eat something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. adirondak5

Rutters cup installed , I love these Rutters cups , IMO they are the finest looking electrosocket type cup available

[​IMG]

All strung up and string tree installed , opps , gotta turn that string tree a bit , final weight came in at 6lbs 11oz , balances at the front strap button , sweet !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All tuned up and a real quick set up , just adjusted the saddles a bit , I'll give it a good going over later

[​IMG]

Got out the Blues Jr and gave it a test run

[​IMG]

Wow , this thing will sustain for days , plugged in or not , acoustically it is loud and sweet , I used a GFS 60's Hot Alinco bridge pup which metered at 9.77 to balance with the GFS P-90 which metered at 8.43 , love it , nice sounding pup , keeps up with the p-90 , but roll back on the tone and its very soft and melodic , the P-90 is a rocker , what sounds I can get with just my tone knob , she has a little buzz but not bad at all. This build was a long time getting finished but was well worth it , this axe rocks. I learned a lot on this build , especially about necks and making sure the tuners fit properly , found out that I actually enjoy wet sanding , learned how to drop fill lacquer , got a little better with everything this time around , at least I think I did , and best of all had a great time , thanks to all for all the help and encouragement along the way , I would mention all but I know I'll forget some body but thanks guys ! Here's a few outside glamor shots , gonna go play a bit more , when I get my son in law over to see it I'll try and get a video up. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. crazydave911

I wouldn't sweat the small stuff, Gibson didn't get it right half the time either ;). Point in fact, out there on Flea Bay are some real skanky LP JRs going for big money, and none of them line up :lol:

:eek::eek::eek: Say it isn't so!..............:lol:

Chow down my friend, can't have you falling out this close to the finish line :D. Who's with me in wanting to see a vid of this sweet beast? :D

Well, I see I'm a little late and you've promised a video................I'm holding you to it :lol:

Darned fine job Herb, congrats!

20. adirondak5

Thanks Dave , and thanks for all the help and encouragement and laughs along the way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.