Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Telecaster which direction to go

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by pwhite, Sep 12, 2017.

1. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC
    So I have put together 5 Strat partscasters and I only own a Squier CV Telecaster, so I picked this body the other day and now I am wondering what I am going to do with. What neck, what color, what finish. I think I just need a nudge in a direction. This is new water for me and I have looked at tons of pictures online, I would like a vintage look but I am by no means a Telecaster expert. Any input would be welcome. Thanks tele-2.jpg tele-3.jpg

Big tuna likes this.

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    A couple of advantages to the Tele parts-casters is the bridge and pickups will cost you less than a Strat, and they are easier to set up. My experiences with building partscasters is the Tele seems more foolproof , better chance of getting it to turn out really good.

What colors are the Strats and your CV?

awasson and Big tuna like this.

3. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2012
    east side
    These projects are like building a house. Spend a lot or a little its up to you. Body has nice grain keep posting on the progress.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Natural rustic finish.
    4-way switching. Switchcraft jack, electrosocket jack mount, bourns pots.

5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    The big question here is what finishing experience do you have, what type of work area is available - and what are you thinking about? You must have some idea.

It appears that body is at minimum sealed - but it appears shiny, which usually means either a very heavy seal coat or some kind of clear finish.

You should find out what they put on it at the factory before taking any finishing recommendations. It could significantly change what can be used.

6. NICQ

NICQ TDPRI Member

May 15, 2017
    Vienna/Austria
    I'd definately stain a body with such nice grain

7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That's a cool looking body. I've done a couple of tone bomb Telecasters but in Pine. That looks like alder or something more substantial.

I've always thought with a nice grainy Telecaster body like that, that it would be cool to do a Mary Kay type finish.

8. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC
    That body is Alder I got off of their ebay for store for 89.00 as a second but I really can't find anything wrong with it and as far as I can tell it has no finish at all. Maybe they wiped it for those pictures, I will have to sand out a few tool marks but it's not bad. I have a work shop and could have done my own but I couldn't buy or make templates and body blank for anywhere near that. I can spry lacquer I do it outside weather permitting, I sprayed 4 necks this summer and they all turned out great. I have only done one body for an explorer scratch build I did.
    I wanted to do a solid color at first but after looking at the body it seems a shame to cover up that grain and I am looking at some different necks. With my Strat builds I have been doing raw Allparts necks and spraying myself, I have tried a couple of other brands in the past but I like the Allparts C shape, it feels good to me, so I am leaning toward a Maple 9.5 C and will spray it as well.
    I don't like natural bodies not that there is anything wrong with them it's just not something I like, my CV is the Butterscotch and I like that or the White one, I have had both. I just did this neck on this Strat a couple of months ago and even though it has a yellowish tint I think it looks good, The neck one I wanted to look older and I think it looks good as well. IMG_0461.JPG IMG_0216.JPG IMG_0464.JPG IMG_0212.JPG

9. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.