Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Tele Suggestions....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jdinaz, Sep 12, 2018.

1. jdinaz

jdinaz TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Payson, Arizona
    OK, so it may be considered my second, I bought a Fender Special Edition Deluxe Ash Telecaster Butterscotch Blonde off of eBay, it arrived with a blemish in the finish that wasn't disclosed, so it went back. I liked it, but wanted to check with the experts here to be sure I'm looking at a good one....I have approx $700. to spend, what Tele would you recommend I take a look at? Thanks in advance.

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I'll second @BorderRadio.

Or a 50's classic lacquer.

Or a roadworn if you like the scars up front.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. jdinaz

jdinaz TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Payson, Arizona
    I see the 60's Baja on the Fender web site, but no 50's.....

5. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2017
    Staten Island NY
    Go for a MIJ Made in Japan Fender Telecaster circa 1990s. This one is a 1996. You may get a good price on one. I have one in black with a rosewood neck though.

4819458489_dfd402a62a_b.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Fendereedo and ftbtx like this.
  6. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Holic

Mar 1, 2011
    Beltway, USA
    Since all you have given us to work with, the question you're asking is, "what Tele would we get for $700 or less?"

I'd go used and look at another Deluxe Ash with the reversed control plate <$450, a MIM Standard for <$400, a '72 Thinline RI for $500-$600 or a '52 AV or AVRI for about $300-$500 more than your budget.

But that's me. Now get yourself to the nearest dealer and start testing to see what YOU like!

Skamania likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    DCW74, teletimetx and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  8. jdinaz

jdinaz TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Payson, Arizona
    Thanks Slim, that's the plan, but the nearest dealers are 1.5 hours away, so I was hoping to use you guys knowledge to narrow it down a bit.

9. esetter

esetter Tele-Afflicted

Sep 1, 2011
    MI
    The new Player series is a very nice guitar.

FlyFast, Fendereedo and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Try new players series, theres lots of colours. Im not sure if all blonde look the same but rest is same. Blondes tend to be amber, yellowish, orangeish. For 750 u can get new Baja

11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    This!
    My Player is a terrific little monster - if that's at all possible lol! Seriously great Tele's and plays as good a my Classic series ever did. It must purely be a case of vintage appointments like tuners, bridge etc that make the big difference now. My own one I tried to a bit of vintage vibe to it, by modding a few bits. Best of luck whatever you decide, but make sure you are happy when you walk out that store with the one you decide upon.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    Player series is the simple and easy answer. I am GASsing for a 60s baja (a bit over your budget), but that's mainly the look of the faded sonic blue color and its thicker neck.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    You can find used minty USA HWY-1's for far less than your budget. I paid $425 for my blondie (Wilkinson bridge upgrade included) but that was 5 or 6 years ago. They've gone up a bit but they're out there.

[​IMG]

Colo Springs E likes this.
  14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    But that's me. Now get yourself to the nearest dealer and start testing to see what YOU like![/QUOTE]

It is this line. Anyone can tell you what they like but you have to play them to know what you like. Spend that extra 10% at the dealer when you find the one that speaks to you.

15. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Go play some.. the Baja sounds great but some (all?) of them have giant necks that seem like they ought to keep them from being universally recommended. I've only played one but the neck was a giant red flag for me.. big enough it's going to be too big for some people. Not big enough to cause me difficulty playing but big enough I got worried about what would happen if I bought it and went and played it 5+ hours a week and whether my wrist would complain.

You should be able to be able to find a pretty new MIM Standard for way less than a new Player and save a few hundred and not have to worry about fixing/replacing the saddles, possibly with enough money left over to swap pickups or upgrade other stuff and still save money.

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    +1 for the Player Series. My local shop has one in Sonic Red with a Pau Ferro board and, although I'm no expert, it looks like a lot of guitar / good value for the money.

If you want a more traditional pick up configuration, the Squier Classic Vibe 50's seems popular.

If you're after max bang for buck, I'm sure there must be some great second-hand bargains out there.

jdinaz and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  17. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Location, location, location.

I'm basically hooked on buying used, but in your neck of the woods, that's probably going to drastically limit your choices. You might consider scouting the used teles on Reverb. I have a late 90's MIM JB std I found there which is IMO a wonderful tele and what i paid is certainly within your budget. yep, mine came with a little chip in the finish, the seller had listed it as mint and I got an additional discount.

If you want a guitar with a perfect finish, keep it in the case and never play it...

Craigslist: I might not be looking at the right list, but what I see for your choices in
    AZ includes places at least an hour or two from you - round trip makes that not such a great option.

So the other choice is online new stuff - and what has been already recommended are good ideas. Best of luck in your search.

18. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    Believe me its even better after some time of playing. My BSBlonde is better quality than MiM Standard . I love more round body, easier to play. Alnico 5 is best hing about it, the bridge sound with distortion . hell yeah

19. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2018
    Columbus, OH
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.