First sunburst attempt!

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Thinlineggman, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys, I've had this airbrush stuff for a while and finally decided to try some guitar stuff with it!

Here goes my first attempt at a sunburst!

Red down:
    [​IMG]

Now the black:
    [​IMG]

Now I'm just waiting for it to dry and I'll finish spraying black on the sides. Then it's on to a nice clear nitro gloss to finish her off once the weather warms up!

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Lookin good so far!

3. Thinlineggman

Thanks! Definitely gonna be more careful with the black on the next one. It appears to have covered the red in a spot on this body.

4. flyingbanana

Try to feather the black some before continuing with the clear. I've used scotch brite pads for that. It works pretty good. That way you'll likely be able to remove that excess black and feather the rest. Do it lightly though. Don't over rub with the pads.

5. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

Nice start for your first try.

6. Thinlineggman

Thanks for the tips flyingbanana! I'll grab some scotchbrite from work on Monday and try the feathering.

7. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

Thinlineggman i have been having good luck using very fine synthetic steel wool for softening the burst on a second hand bass I purchased recently. Its a little slower but I find that in a learning experience slower is often better. I had to learn to like the stuff but now that i ve worked with it a bit I would not go back to metalic steel wool on guitars. Works great on rifle stocks but they are a lot different than a bass with magnetic pickups.

8. Thinlineggman

I actually tried some scotchbrite that I found laying around and had to re-do about 1/3 of the burst because i pressed to hard initially. It looks better now, just have to touch up one area.

[​IMG]

The upper horn painting seemed to form a point rather than a boob shape haha. Oh well, still have to do some touching up on the sides, so I can even out that horn at the same time.

I'm tossing around the idea of some fake doudle binding via pinstriping. That way I could get away with not painting the back. Good idea?

EDIT: and that pic is really crappy. I'll try and get a better one after lunch!

9. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

10. Thinlineggman

Thanks for the link! I may have to pick some up when I come across some dough:p

And heres a better pic of the body as it currently stands:

[​IMG]

11. flyingbanana

You fixed that up nicely. I see you used the scotch brite. Great progress...but remember, stop right when you like it, otherwise you'll want to keep fixing things. That's when we get in trouble. lol

12. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Looks good, I'm curious what paint you've been using so far, are you thinning it?

13. JCSouthpawtele

JCSouthpawtele Friend of Leo's

The upper side neck bout it seems you can be a little creative bringing black in a little more and rounded off. Mock up a neck and pickguard to imagine where the burst should fade out best.

14. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

+ 1

I would add a touch more black to get rid of that red point.

15. Thinlineggman

I'm just using opaque acrylic airbrush paint. Thinned pretty severely I assume, as most airbrush paint is. It flows like water.

16. Thinlineggman

I will be soon as I get some time this week. I was focused on getting the sides covered and didn't notice the upper bout until I cleaned out the airbrush!

Will hopefully get to spraying the clear this weekend if the weather shapes up.

17. TotallyReptiles

TotallyReptiles Tele-Meister

Looks GREAT!!!

18. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

looks great !

createx makes great airbrush paints. The best part... if you not happy with it, wipe it off withy a damp rag and start over. No sanding needed.
    I thin my dark paints with clear windex, It also works awesome for cleaning the gun or cleaning up a bad paint job to start over

You can also seal each layer if your happy with it, with an acrylic enamel clear

I highly recommend using transparent paints when doing bursts, it takes a bit longer to darken the burst but it gives a seemless softer look.
    If you want it more opaque , a mix of transparent and opaque paints work good

19. HardlyDangerous

HardlyDangerous Tele-Holic

Use transparent paints .

I did this strat using transparent black, brown and orange

[​IMG]

20. Thinlineggman

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to order some transparent paints before my next go at a burst. I'm happy with the colors I got this time, but that soft burst you posted looks really sweet!

And this body is alder, so there isn't any pretty grain to show off by using transparent paints anyways:p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.