First step is to admit it : I want a 2015 Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mike Eskimo, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m not a Les Paul Standard worshiper .

I don’t care about flamey tops.

I’ve only owned 2 Les Paul’s in my life : a 1956 LP Jr in the 80’s when it was just a used guitar (bought it for $400-sold it for $500 with the pink and brown) and a 1979 3 pickup Custom strictly as a flip ($900/$1800). That was a horrible guitar !

But - the maligned 2015 Standard has all kinds of features I’d use : the knob set up is tailor made for me especially the out of phase and the bypass, I love a wide neck and the only thing I’d delete is the robo tuners - that’s 10 minutes.

Anyone own/used to own one ?

Doesn’t look like they’re as cheap as I’d expect though...

tonyj likes this.
  2. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Do not have one, but got a similar case of GAS for an Epiphone Korina Explorer. Just on looks, never touched one, or a Gibson version. And certainly don't need one.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

If you can get past that ridiculous signature on the headstock and the hologram on the back, then I'd say got for it. There have been a few occasions that I almost made the jump on a 2015 Traditional, but backed out because of the headstock. I actually would use the robot tuners, lol.

Chunkocaster and Mike Eskimo like this.
  4. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

The robo tuners can be changed out on those, right?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

You want any year but 2015. I had two, a Special with P90s and a Traditional. The biggest problem was the E-Tuner. It was easy enough to replace, but why wouls a new guitar need that.
    2015 was also the introduction of the "soloist" neck, which was just way to wide for me.
    But, if you can live with all that have at it. Both of mine were sold withing 4 months.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  6. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

You are truly a rare one. I know one guy in real life that has a 2015 Les Paul and he loves it. He has huge hands and that wide ass fence picket neck really appeals to him.

Mike Eskimo and CaineIsCarter like this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

Well, they're no longer new. I have huge hands, so I'd like to try one. Typical gibson necks are too small for me.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I probably have the tuners laying around that would replace those , I would have my buddy put a bone nut with the strings spaced evenly across it and I heard the brass nut was troublesome with the slots wearing out and those are wide necks but definitely not deep.

I could could palm a basketball when I was six. Well maybe eight...

Yes !

9. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Other than the tapped controls, you might also look at 2013 traditional.

very nice neck, and there is much good said about that year for some reason...
    (Yes, I have one)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  10. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

I had LP several years ago. Seems like it was a custom or studio or something.Factory fret job was awful. But hey I'd try one again. Always been a huge Gibson banjo lover.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

I had a ‘15 Junior. Really great guitar. Well made. Rang like a bell. Prior owner swapped in vintage style Klusons.

I hated the wide flat neck. Tried to get used to It because I otherwise loved the guitar. so if that’s a plus for you, I’d say track one down, you’ll probably love it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I had one and liked it. I also had a Kotzen Tele and liked it. I've got small hands but like big necks for some reason. Only sold them to make a profit. I'll have another Kotzen if I can find one at the right price.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Looks like we may need to do an intervention guys..........

jvin248 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  14. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

7A23DE5A-6456-4E3A-8F7B-409A0DF8A17B.jpeg
    I bought a 19 Traditional. I think now that line is discontinued and has a revised name.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The 2011 traditional came with a proper looking honeyburst and I think the fattest neck of the Traditionals.
    They had standard wiring though but that's also easily changed. I'm not a fan of the scribble headstock logo on the 2015's. You should be able to find one for a good price though because of that logo.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    dannyh and Mike Eskimo like this.
  16. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

I asked to try out a really nice-looking Traditional high up on the wall at a dealer which turned out to be a 2018 Standard. The next day it went home with me and a few weeks later I wrote up a review, HERE. It might be more of what you are looking for because irt doesn't have the Robo-schtuff and it does have the same switch options.

[​IMG]

Of course, that top stuff may bother you.

Bob

17. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I Bought a 2015 standard and LOVE it. I liked the idea of the tuners for slide tunings etc. but they stopped working so had them replaced.

I have largish hands and do like wide necks so thought It would be a shoe in....BUT it did take me around 3 months to get used to it. This is weird because I can switch between guitars without any problem usually. I actually started to worry that I may not ever settle in to the neck at one point but now switch between all of my guitars without even noticing again. Sometimes realizing I should have noticed but didn't!

It is a fabulously made guitar, the paint and finish are miles ahead of any other Les Paul I had seen till then (maybe the later ones since are as good?), from memory they said that as part of the revisions that maximum effort was going in to resolving any previous finish issues they had and I have to agree with them on that.

The adjustable nut design is also fantastic, though you will need the replacement Titanium one as the original one was to soft and caused all the tuning problems people thought were the E tuners.

I couldn't get the Factory Titanium one under warranty from down here in NZ (VERY frustrating) but ordered the tusq one and have not had any tuning issues since.

The overall sound is VERY bright (coming from Epiphones) and that took a long time to get used to but am now.

I have been a Fender and even more so a Gretsch guy but since getting this guitar close to 2 years ago find it is my number one, more often than not.

ANYONE hung up on the head stock logo is insane IMO. I love the hologram, wasn't fussed on the large signature but now don't notice either (I haven't even really "seen" them since the first week...) and in fact now like the fact they are there for what they signify.

Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

I bought a Harley Benton SC-450. Love it. Guess I’m a pretender, but my hypocrisy only goes so far.....

jvin248 likes this.
  19. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have a couple 2015 Specials from when Sam Ash was blowing them out. I’m partial to the SG over the LPDC. The SG has 4 controls, ToM bridge and no neck binding.

If you find one with the tuners, give them a chance before you switch them. They are pretty fun for experimenting. Just read how they work first. A lot of people would have switched them out all ready anyway.

Also anyone that paid attention would have gotten the free titanium nut upgrade already. You might be able to still get them to send you one.

20. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Get you one Mike

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.