First partscaster build thread

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by cjrincon03, Nov 24, 2018.

1. cjrincon03

cjrincon03 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I decided to build a tele from scratch .

Then scratched that idea , ha !

Here is the inspiration guitar I found while surfing the web with no direction . Found it on November 5th and couldn’t get it out of my head .

Found a killer body to start with, and realized I should go this route first before building one on my own . My body arrived , I like it . I got a Black Friday deal on a loaded blackguard and control plate on the way also.

I want to get the body mostly finished before I decide on what direction I’m going price wise for a neck . I’d like to try and play some of the fatter options in the mean time .

Going with gen4 noiseless pups , 3 way switch with S1
    IMG_6987.JPG
    IMG_6977.JPG IMG_6975.JPG IMG_6976.JPG

2. cjrincon03

I’ve decided I want to go towards the violin burst . Here are so more photos I’ve saved for reference . I’ve been trying to do diligent research on what finish products to use. I would like to do hand rubbed finish
    IMG_6992.JPG IMG_6883.JPG

John Nicholas and DuckDodgers like this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

If by "hand rubbed finish" you mean the color sunbursting, then you're looking at 3-4 colors of dye and a multi-step process. There are some run throughs on youtube. As a first timer, you're likely to have better success blending alcohol based aniline dyes. The trickiest part is the dark brown around the outer edge, I cheat and move to a detail hlvp gun for that last part. At any rate, you definitely want to do a plain maple mockup of the body and practice the process on it before putting dye on that beautiful tele body you have. Best wishes, you're gonna have a beautiful partscaster there.

John Nicholas, Jim622 and cjrincon03 like this.
  4. cjrincon03

Thank you for the reply !

Doing a practice run or two was a definite thought .

I’ve watched a lot of tube vids , so many different techniques . I have seen wonderful results with dyes and rubbing by Big D guitars . I’m always open to suggestions .

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

There are two ways to do a sunburst. You can either apply stain(s) directly to the wood (your "hand rubbed finish"?) and then clear coat over it or you can do it in the coats of whatever you decide to put onto the wood. Or a combination. They have very different effects, and each has its own pitfalls. Hand applied finishes date back to the wonderful tobacco and Cremona 'bursst that Gibson did in the 1930's. Typically the steps are to apply a dark stain that pops the figure of your wood, the two or three colors of stain to create the burst itself. That is then clear coated. The finish can have a beautiful deep look and the grain and figure shows thru. One huge disadvantage is if you screw up you really can't recover.

The second method is to spray (in theory you could hand apply but it would be a disaster) two or three colors in the actual finish (I would say lacquer because thats what I use but it can be other finishes). This is what Fender does with their 'bursts - as you spray each color you kind of fog the edge of the pattern so it blends in to the other colorss. It is easier to apply but doesn't have that deep gloss of the wipe on method.

The third is to do some staining to pop grain and maybe do part of the fade, then use some small amounts of tints in the lacquer to actually do the burst. I like this when I'm trying to do a vintage Les Paul sun burst.

This current thread has a couple of instruments that I finished in both methods - go to posts 66 and 68

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-fender-lead-strat-prs-of-some-sorts.766082/page-4

Also, I happen to be building a flamed topped tele and have given it a very mild "edge burst". Finishing starts at the bottom of page 3, it is currently hanging in the shop before I do the final buff and assembly

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-chambered-tele-ish-sort-of-thing.884657/page-3

And, whatever you do, practice on scrap.

6. cjrincon03

Read through your posting . Very informative. I want the finish to be great , I don’t mind being patient .

I’m going off of examples and tutorials I’ve seen and read for the hand rubbed finish I mentioned .

Looking at dyes and and tints for the entire color work up . The particulars are not set in stone , other than the color scheme . I really want the burst I showed in the examples . I’ve watched several examples on doing a darker die over the whole , then sanding back . The grain keeps the darker coloring . Then go over with amber , and then a darker dye around the edges . Blending it in and sanding back as needed for the right finish .

7. Freeman Keller

That is basically how I did the mandolin. A couple of things to remember - I almost always have cutoffs of the actual wood that I'm going to finish, you won't. Stains work entirely differently on different pieces of the same type of wood. When I bought the maple that I used in the tele I though I would probably do a Cremona burst but when I actually started playing with scraps I realized that wasn't going to work and it was best just to do a very mild burst to highlight the flame.

Next, looking at your pictures, I don't see the red layer - it looks to be mostly brown and amber. That certainly is easier, but again, practice on some scrap.

Stains will bleed back into the over finish. When you mentioned doing a "hand rubbed" finish (which to me implies either French polish or some sort of oil finish) you will need to seal the stain - probably with shellac. All of my guitars are sprayed with either solvent or water born lacquers, I always spray a seal coat (usually vinyl sealer) to keep the stains from bleeding.

I can't tell what the back is, depending on the wood it might need pore filling. Your maple cap will not, however the product that I use for filling porous wood I also use for popping grain. Again, study and experiment before you risk an expensive piece of wood.

One of the real experts on hand applied sunbursts is Roger Siminoff, the mandolin builder. He has written several how to articles based on the old Gibson mandos. Dan Erlewine has a discussion in his book on guitar finishing (recommended).

Good luck, post pictures

edit to add, you might want to go back to my tele build thread and read post #72 that just popped up. He echos my feeling about a lot of sun bursts, particularly amateur ones.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  8. cjrincon03

I did visit and read post 72! I see his concern . Pretty much described my original plan as what not to do ha!

Digging through the depths of TDP and other outlets .. I’ve reached a basis for gameplan

Pick the dye colors I want for the burst
    Get some practice ! Got a feel for what’s going on.

Once ready :

Dye the top to desired color and Burst

Seal the stain

Tru oil wipe over many thin coats , be patients could take couple weeks .

Buff out . Done .

Here’s a screenshot of a thread I dug up from 2008, OP was in similar situation . This fellow had a lot to say and was also very informative read through the whole thread .

Please Advise Mr Keller

IMG_7051.JPG

9. Freeman Keller

Since I have never done that I really can't advise. The dyes that I use to make my stains (StewMac's Colortone) says they are not compatible with oil based finishes. If you seal well enough they might be, but personally I don't like Tru-Oil. I've used it on a couple of barnwood telecasters, I think it has a nice semi gloss organic look that suited the 100 year old barn wood, but personally I wouldn't use it on "good wood". Others have perfectly acceptable results with it and you might also.

One thing I did learn about Tru-Oil is that you do need to put on a lot (24 or so) of VERY thin coats, any attempt at trying to get it to build won't work. And let it cure for weeks, as in quite a few, before you try to buff.

You'll have several choices of dyes to make your stains out of - trans tint, aniline, others that I don't know about. You also have a choice of making it with alcohol or water, I have only used alcohol, I have only sprayed nitrocellulose or water born cross linking lacquer over it, and I've only sealed with shellac and vinyl sealer. Those things have worked well for me, I have no experience with other methods.

I'll add that IMHO home finishing a guitar is the hardest part of building it, particularly if your expectations are very high. And trying to do a sunburst of any sort on your first one is kind of pushing it - not saying you can't pull it off, but if you look at other peoples first 'bursts you might understand.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want you to be realistic. And you did ask for my advice.

10. cjrincon03

I shoot for the moon! Miss or not !!!!!

11. cjrincon03

Parts are showing up ! Specs :
    Fender gen 4 noiseless pickups
    Genuine CTS250K Solid Shaft Tone Pot
    Original CRL 3 Way Switch
    Fender S1 Volime Pot/Switch
    .022µF Orange Drop Capacitor
    IMG_7068.JPG IMG_7065.JPG IMG_7067.JPG IMG_7063.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    CraigB likes this.
  12. cjrincon03

Parts photos are before sanding , wet photo is raising the grain after I sanded to 320. Have a few spots to go over when it dries

IMG_7357.JPG
    IMG_7363.JPG
    IMG_7360.JPG

13. cjrincon03

Also:

Going to have to deepen the neck pickup cavity just a tad . The stacked gen 4 noiseless pups will not allow the pickguard to sit flush . Bummer

14. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

If you decide no sunburst maybe a finish similar to my Taylor T5 would work well with the wood that you have?
    I also think I may do a build some time down the road and I like the idea of black parts as opposed to all the chrome parts, switches, knobs, etc

Attached Files:

15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

As you have no offcuts and will be fitting a pickguard, once you have tried out on some other timber, might it be useful to experiment in that area of the body?

16. cjrincon03

eallen and CraigB like this.
  17. cjrincon03

Sanded the entire guitar , started over . Here’s where I’m at now ! Also ordered a maple board Baja Neck !! So excited . It’s coming together .

The gen 4 noiseless pups wouldn’t properly fit the cavities so I set out to deepen them. Ended up deepening AND dovetailing them in the bottom half to give plenty of room for the electronics . Turned out great .

On the first sandback right now. Double checking all my steps and making sure I’m not rushing ! It’s going great for my first one for sure .

Attached Files:

18. cjrincon03

Hit the top with vintage amber and darkened the edges. Still not satisfied . May sand top back a second time and try to get the amber to pop more

Attached Files:

eallen likes this.
  19. thatteleguy

thatteleguy TDPRI Member

I think it looks great! Especially the burst. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

esetter likes this.
  20. cjrincon03

I sanded it to 600. Not enough , so I went step down with every grit I had until 220 did what I needed. Threw out my stains because they werent working for my taste currently haha!

Mixed fresh batch , didn’t measure a bit . I was careful last time to be as precise as possible . This time I didn’t fear the outcome , because I have redone it so many times now .

I’m digging this look . Here’s one right after I got down to 220 and tested with amber . Took much better .

Then another after the new burst color mix was added.

Stewmac colortone -
    red mahogany - a splish
    Cherry red - a splash
    Taboacco brown- a heavy drinkers pour

Then one more with fresh mixed amber over the whole top after I gave it 20-30 minutes .

Attached Files:

eallen and RiversQC like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.