Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Partscaster Assembly

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Vanzant, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Van, that guitar is a beauty, I bet you can't stop playing it!

2. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    There's going to be a "Second Partscaster Assembly" thread coming soon....surf green :lol:

IMG_9834 (2).jpg IMG_9835 (2).jpg

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Oahh , Im a real fan of the old pastel colors , have Surf Green and Sonic Blue myself
    Nice build , even if Im more like a kid with AHDH after a sugar trip compared to you , I guess
    I would have spent very little time deciding what pg to use , but it is really nice to see someone taking a real good time deciding what to do
    There are some details that I worry about.myself ,like the pos of the string tree etc
    Anyway , nice build

4. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Nice guitar, nice assembly job, and wonderful documentation!

I've bookmarked this thread in my Partscaster folder. It should come in handy when I get moving on the Broadcaster and Thinline projects I have in mind.

I did my first assembly last year: a MJT Strat body on a MIM neck that came off my first Strat. I like the pin vise idea. Much less stressful than a handheld cordless drill, much cheaper than a drill press (which really seems like overkill for pickguard screw holes) :D

5. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    The surf green tele has been put on hold due to some unwanted checking that occurred in the shipping, and which is now being corrected. In the meantime, I have also been acquiring strat parts, so this project may turn out to be the "Second Partscaster Assembly" thread, we'll see...

Here is the body I am using. More to come...

Cheers!

IMG_0546.jpg
    8.jpg

6. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Van, great to see you back at it. This thread is the one that inspired me to build my first partscaster, currently my #1.

Attached Files:

• SC3.jpg
      SC3.jpg
      File size:
      51.3 KB
      Views:

7. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    That's great Blue Bill! That guitar looks incredible!! I am glad this thread helped you out. I am probably going to have to use it when I get around to that surf green tele. They are a lot of fun to put together...

Cheers!

8. Blue Bill

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine

9. rls1952

rls1952 TDPRI Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Arlington, TX
    Vanzant... great job documenting this process!! I've done 70 partscasters in the last 4 years and learned all these steps at points along the way. Wish I had this thread to look at when I started... would have gotten me up to speed a LOT faster!! Assembling these guitars has been my retirement therapy...

Rod

10. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    This is an awesome thread. I'm most impressed by your patience and thoroughness. My problem is that I always get so excited to get it the guitar together that I end up rushing it and having some sloppiness. I'll be putting together a parts tele next week and will be using this for inspiration to do a better job.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

11. aramaram

aramaram NEW MEMBER!

Jun 10, 2015
    Iraq, erbil
    wowwww.....that is really interesting......amazing!!!!!

12. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Thanks! I want to see the guitar you put together!! Also, here is the link to the Stratocaster that I have going right now. Cheers!

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-t-types-partscasters/552139-second-partscaster-assembly.html

13. loudneighbor

loudneighbor TDPRI Member

May 1, 2006
    chicago
    Beautiful guitar and great job of documenting the process. I'm not a builder but it seems like you could use this thread as a guide.

Well done!

14. xbootleger

xbootleger TDPRI Member

May 24, 2015
    Bonney Lake, Wa
    Just in time....

I am going to be putting the neck pup in my paisley build this weekend and I wasn't sure how to do it exactly because I don't have a fender tele to compare it to. Now I don't need one. Nice job man! Looks awesome.

15. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    Here is the build I just finished. I've done a lot of swapping but this is my first time from scratch.

I totally was inspired by this thread. Taping the pickguard and using the push pin was a great tip. I'm really happy with how that came out. I even tried using the pin vice but I just don't have your patience, dude! I ended up using a hand drill instead. In general I just took a little more time than I normally do all from your inspiration. I had to route the PU cavities and that came out really well too, just using the same patient approach.

Here it is...cheers!

Attached Files:

16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Nice, that guitar looks awesome! Did MJT do the finish? I love the checking! I'm glad this thread was a source of inspiration. These guitars are fun to put together :D

17. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Are folks still referencing this thread? Post pics of your projects here...cheers!

18. tele_sean

tele_sean TDPRI Member

Apr 25, 2016
    San Francisco
    I'm actually in the process of my first build and am using this thread as my guide.

Thanks again for being so detailed, its helped so much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.