Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Partscaster Assembly

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Vanzant, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing Neck Pickup - Part 1

I couldn't find too much on this topic, but I know it must be covered here on the forum. I didn't want to have my neck pickup mounted to the pickguard because I want that vintage look, so I had to mount it to the body. I was a bit concerned that I may screw this part up because it seems like there are so many things that need to be lined up just right (pickguard, control plate, bridge plate, pickup, etc...). In the end it was fairly easy.

I started by putting a piece of foam under the pickup and then fitted the pickguard with the pickup (and everything else). Once I had a good fit, I stuffed little pieces of foam all around the pickup to keep it stationary (A). Then I double checked to see if the pickguard and everything still lined up. Once I was certain it was a good fit, I took a finishing nail and marked the holes for my pilots (B); I did this by inserting the nail into the screw mounts on the pickup and then pressed down on the nail.

Next, I measured how much wood I had left to work with (to make sure I didn't screw through the body), and then I drilled the pilot holes with the pin vice (I went down a drill bit size because these screws seemed a bit thinner than the others) (C), (D).

A) Foam to hold the pickup in place B) Nail to mark pilot holes C) Drilling pilot holes with the pin vice D) Pilot holes drilled
    IMG_1437.jpg IMG_1438.jpg IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1442.jpg

2. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing Neck Pickup - Part 2

Next, I put a little bee's wax on the screws (A) and inserted them into the pickup and installed the rubber tubing (I would have liked to have had the original metal springs that were used on the early Broadcasters, but Glendale wanted like 20 bucks for two springs, so I figured the tubing would work just fine...also, these screws are Phillips head screws, so they are also not era correct, but at least we won't see them...):lol:

Then, I screwed each side down a little at a time (B) & (C) . I measured my Fender CS Telecaster to get me in the ballpark in regard to height above the pickguard, and screwed the pickup down till it was the same height (D).

A) Bee's Wax on the screws w/ rubber tubing B) Tightening down a little at a time C) Rotating between each side D) Tightening it down to desired height

IMG_1443.jpg IMG_1446.jpg IMG_1447.jpg IMG_1448.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

3. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Mar 24, 2010
    Fl.
    your're doing a great job.Your first build? your doing fantastic

4. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Sounds Great So Far

Yes, this is my first build.

I just strung it up to see if perhaps the neck pickup needed adjusting, and I was totally surprised at how great it sounded! Those Don Mare pickups are going to be fantastic :lol:. When everything is completely finished, I plan on posting a video to demonstrate how it sounds...pretty happy so far :D

5. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Pickguard - Part 1

I settled on the Callaham pickguard, and I found that it actually fit better once it was screwed to the body.

I started by taping the pickguard down (A), and then I used a thumb tack to indent a mark so my pin vice would start easier (B). Of course I coated each screw with bee's wax before starting (C). I started with the screw closest to the top of the neck, and worked my way around. I simply drilled a pilot hole (D), and then screwed each screw in as I went.

A) Taped the pickguard down B) Used a tack to mark each pilot hole C) Bee's Wax D) Starting at the top of the neck and worked my way around

IMG_1452.jpg IMG_1461.jpg IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1455.jpg

6. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Pickguard - Part 2

When I was screwing these screws down, I used a wider screwdriver to start with (A), and then as I got closer to the pickguard I switched to a smaller screwdriver to prevent scratching the pickguard (B). Overall, I am pretty happy with how this pickguard looks (especially those slotted screws :D) (C)

A) Larger screwdriver for better leverage B) Smaller screwdriver to prevent scratching C) Finished pickguard

IMG_1457.jpg IMG_1459.jpg IMG_1462.jpg

7. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Control Plate

The control plate went on just like the pickguard (thumb tack to mark the pilot holes, pin vice (A), bee's wax on the screws, and just screw it down tight (B)

A) Pilot Holes B) Finished Control Plate

IMG_1463.jpg IMG_1465.jpg

Next up... Volume and Tone Knobs, Barrel Switch, JBennet's Decal, Strings, and String Tree.:D

8. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Barrel Knob - Volume and Tone Knobs

I have been wanting to do this for some time :D. The barrel knob just pushes on (A) the switch (B). The Volume and Tone knobs are Broadcaster knobs from Rutters...he seems to do a nice job with these. I checked my Fender CS Tele to see where the screws are positioned when the knobs are wide open, and found that they are facing toward the tail of the guitar, so I mimicked that (C). I realized I needed to start with the Volume Knob in order to reach it better with the screwdriver (the tone knob was in the way). I am pretty happy with how these components look (everything seems like it will look even better with age)

A) Barrel Knob B) Just push the barrel knob on C) Volume & Tone Knobs Installed D) Getting Close to Finishing :D

IMG_1467.jpg IMG_1468.jpg IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1471.jpg

9. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the Decal

Before installing the decal on the headstock, I practiced with one of the extra decals on the underside of one of my tables. I followed JBennet's instructions that came with my decals and used the following: a bowl of warm water, 2 paper towels, and a sponge brush (A). I dropped the decal in the bowl of warm water for 21 seconds (B), and then let it sit for 15 seconds (C). While I waited for the 15 seconds, I put a tad bit of water on the headstock D). Then, I gently pushed the decal off the backing and onto the headstock. I tried to match its location as close as I could to one of the Broadcasters in the Blackguard Book, I think I got pretty close. Finally, I dabbed it with a paper towel to remove the excess water, and made sure it was as flat as I could make it with the sponge brush (E)

A) All the necessary tools B) In warm water for 21 seconds C) Set aside for 15 seconds

IMG_1472.jpg IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1481.jpg

D) A touch of water to the headstock E) Decal Installed :D

IMG_1480.jpg IMG_1483.jpg

Overall, I think it turned out well, and I think I got it pretty close to where the Broadcaster had it.

What do you all think? :?:

Only thing left to do now is string it up and install the string tree...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

10. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Really fantastic look and great decal!

11. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Installing the String Tree

First thing I had to do was put some strings on so I could locate the position for the string tree (A). To find the location for the string tree, I studied the Blackguard Book and found that the early Broadcasters had string trees located between the G and D tuners - just off the "r" in Fender or "t" in Vanzant. Then, I marked a spot on the headstock with a thumb tack (just like I did with the pickguard); for this I just found the center of the string tree and pressed a small hole into the headstock. After this, I drilled the pilot hole with the pin vice (B). Next, I puts some bee's wax on a slotted screw, and inserted it through the string tree, and threaded it into the pilot hole (C). Finally, I just tightened it down, and removed the excess wax (D).

A) Positioning the string tree B) Drilling the pilot hole C) Bee's Wax and String Tree D) Finished:D

IMG_1484.jpg IMG_1488.jpg IMG_1495.jpg IMG_1496.jpg

Next up....Pictures of the finished guitar, full specs, and video demonstration :)

12. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Pictures & Specs

Here are some pictures of the completed Broadcaster replica, as well as the complete specs...

IMG_1497.jpg IMG_1498.jpg IMG_1499.jpg IMG_1509.jpg

Body: Light Aged Body - MJT

Neck: Musikraft (see detailed specs on page 1)

Neck Pickup: Don Mare - Hayride

Bridge Pickup: Don Mare - Zep0tone

Bridge Plate: Glendale - Vintage "Blackguard" Cold Rolled Steel

Saddles: Glendale - Twang Plus

String Ferrules: Glendale - Retro Rockets -The "Cold Rolled Steel" Chrome Plated Six

Jack Cup: Glendale - Milled Jack Cup

Control Plate: Glendale

Neck Plate: Callaham

Volume and Tone Knobs: Rutters - Broadcaster Knobs

Pickguard: Callaham Bakelite

Tuners: Vintage Style Kluson - MJT (Light Aged)

Strap Buttons: Rutters - Flat Top Strap Buttons

String Tree: MJT (Light Aged)

Tone Capacitors: Glendale - Pink Paisley

Jack Input: Switchcraft

Volume and Tone Potentiometers: 250K CTS Control Pots

3-Way Switch: CRL 3-Way Switch

Slotted Screw Set: Glendale

Cloth Covered Wire: StewMac & Callaham

Decal: JBennet http://bennettdecals.wix.com/decals

13. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    More Pics

Here are a few more pictures... This guitar is just posing in my Fender CS Tele's case...this body is actually too big to fit in this case.

IMG_1504.jpg IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1512.jpg IMG_1511.jpg

14. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    You've done a nice job on this guitar. So... what's the next project?:D

15. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Thanks Sutton!! I'm thinking my next project will probably be (if my wife lets me) a B Bender - maybe something that sparkles, or perhaps surf green. :)

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

Jul 10, 2005
    Madison WI
    fantastic! Looks great

Paisley Cap looks interesting....great choice with the Mare pickups

17. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

May 18, 2013
    United States
    Thanks for the comment!

It sounds just as good, if not better than my Fender CS Tele...actually, I can't believe how good it sounds especially since all I did was just install the saddles to the bridge without doing anything else. Part of me feels like I should adjust the little Allen screws on the saddles, but it sounds and plays pretty good as is (intonates perfectly), so I am thinking "why bother...I might mess it up if I did that".

The Don Mare pickups sound incredible in all positions, very happy with that choice (actually Don Mare recommended this combination for me... Hayride Neck & Zep0tone Bridge)

I did not add any copper shielding to this guitar, and I am glad because it is perfectly quiet without it.

Very happy with this process/outcome of building this guitar... I didn't really run into any serious problems, the thing just went together easy. :D

At some point I hope to post a video.

18. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

This telly really looks great! And if it sounds like that you have to be a very happy guy.

Congrats!

19. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2011
    New Jersey
    Vanzant,

Great job! I have built 5 part casters from scratch and find it a fantastic experience as you can build it anyway YOU like with no compromises. Now that you finished this one, time to plan the next :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.