Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First nick in the guitar!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by adamgdog, Sep 28, 2017.

1. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    So I was working on my guitar, and with a careless move run the headstock into the wall. The headstock now has a nice little nick in it. At first, I was like, "well, shoot." After a second though, it almost felt good. It was really weird. It was like I made the guitar mine. Anyone else have this happen to them?

grooveiron and Chicago Matt like this.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Umm, yeah. At age 16, you are a better man than I.

3. PelhamSG

PelhamSG TDPRI Member

Aug 22, 2017
    chicago
    I dont try to make dings/dents, but if it happens, oh well. It now has a start of a soul. its unique and its yours. I believe that each ding and scratch tells a story.

One example is my Gibson SG. I was at rehearsal with my band and I was wearing a hoodie unzipped. I turned the guitar over and there were TONS of scratches. Cant see the wood, but you can see scratches. My buddy offered me some polish, but I politely declined. Now when I turn it over and look at the scratches, it immediately brings be back to that night. It was a fun night too.

adamgdog likes this.

4. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's why many of us build cheap partscasters. We wear what we want, and don't worry about the scratches.

But when you're getting into expensive guitar territory, we remove our belts and make sure our pants zippers are well out of the way.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    We got burned here recently.

People often don't accurately, for whatever reason, include their real age.

adamgdog likes this.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Congrats! ;)

There'll be more.

adamgdog likes this.

7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I take care of my guitars, but I also play them so it's bound to happen. After the first "oh crap!" it's kind of a relief that I got that first one out of the way.

richey88 and adamgdog like this.

8. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Yes, absolutely! You expressed it very well.

adamgdog likes this.

9. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    The first nick is the deepest.

10. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    She just earned an extra point of soul.

adamgdog likes this.

11. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Oh I'm sorry....thought your name was Nick. Nevermind....carry on as you were.

adamgdog likes this.

12. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    Damn ... Mr Green Genes beat me to it ... But ... The first cut is the deepest ...

However, and it appears you're in this category, I'd never knowingly mistreat/damage a guitar but guitars are for playing not just treating as "eye candy", beautiful as they may be.
    Plus,, makers will add on a few hundred $/£ for deliberately marking/damaging (mmm ... they call it relicing) a guitar ... Something we can do ourselves quite unwittingly.
    Bet it still sounds great ... if not even better :)

adamgdog likes this.

13. adamgdog

adamgdog Tele-Meister

Apr 5, 2017
    Louisville
    Just to settle the confusion, I did not do this on purpose. I wasn't paying attention and accidentally ran it into the wall.

14. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I'm surprised any of my guitars still have headstocks.

Deeve and adamgdog like this.

15. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    You're young. Wait until you're married. Then you'll be deliberately running things into the wall.

adamgdog likes this.

16. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    It used to bother me. Now it doesn't. Honest wear and tear are marks of a functional object. Case Queens have no place in my world.
    On the other hand, factory relic jobs are posers.

jannodude and adamgdog like this.

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midalnds, GB
    No confusion here....

adamgdog likes this.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

First it's baby nicks, then, well ... you're on a relic thread.

The trick is, don't buy that too expensive guitar you are afraid to take out and play. Spend at a level you are comfortable with playing and using not sitting tidy in a case its whole life for fear of damage. These are Fender Custom Shop made guitars with price tags so high people are worried of scratching them...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Uncle Mui and adamgdog like this.

19. murdude

murdude TDPRI Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Brantford, Ontario
    I was playing a gig on the first night that I had my brand new ES-335 about 1973. At the end of the first set, I took off the guitar and rammed the head stock into a low overhang on the stage and chipped off the top corner of the headstock. I put the piece in my pocket and glued in on later. It is still there. I was annoyed at the time, but not not devastated like I would be now.
    Contrarily, I have a new mim telecaster that never goes out of the house, and I treat it like it was made out of egg shells. Go figure.

adamgdog likes this.

20. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Friend of Leo's

May 14, 2008
    WNC Isothermal Zone
    ...and stay away from cymbals, high hats and "whirling dervish guitar players!

Don't ask me how I know... ☹

adamgdog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.