Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First NGD... First Tele Build... Warmoth Partscaster Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by stuffinplays, May 1, 2018.

1. stuffinplays

stuffinplays TDPRI Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Tampa
    Howdy. I've never done a NGD but love reading them. I'm not so good at making a gripping narrative to go along with a NGD post, but I know how much all you lot like photos so I thought I'd make one for you.

Here's my new Tele build...

IMG_3150.jpg IMG_3151.jpg

As you can see I went with some wood with... Character... I spotted this very Goncalo Alvez neck on Warmoth a few months ago and fell in love with it, so I started concocting what kind of Tele I wanted to build around it. In my "research" I saw a 'Fender Limited Edition Lightweight Ash Telecaster' somewhere on Reverb and fell head over heels for the tortoise PG on the mary kaye see-through blonde body. I love the sound of a tele neck PU, but I could never jive with the lack of body contours (blasphemy for some here, I know...) so I decided I would be getting all of the Warmoth body contour options; heel, arm, and belly contours. It makes for a nice, light tele, that feels like a strat but sounds like, well, a tele.. The body is Roasted swamp ash in Alpine White. I went with Alpine White rather than a translucent white finish simply because it was available and I am too impatient to wait once I have something stuck in my noggin.

IMG_3153.jpg IMG_3154.jpg

So I finally sold the Green Gibson LP in my avatar on Reverb, and decided to start the build a few weeks ago. I sourced all the misc screws and pieces off of Warmoth. I found a Fender bridge plate for cheap on Reverb, as well as a DiMarzio Twang King neck PU. The tuners are Schaller locking, from eBay, that I replaced the button with some pearloid buttons I got from StewMac. I decided instead of ruining some expensive pots with my poor soldering skillz, I went to Sigler and had them craft me a control plate with an S1 switch 500k pot, and a push/pull 500k pot as well as a 4 way switch & Orange Drop .047uF cap. I had DiMarzio custom build a Chopper T with gold rails, which to my suprise wasn't much of an increase in price at all. This is the same PU configuration that can be found on the Richie Kotzen Tele, but I was unable to find an aftermarket bridge PU, new or used. With the S1 switch I can get out of phase in series or parallel, and with the push pull I can split the bridge to the inner coil of the Chopper T. I'm a sucker for gimmicky coil configurations, I love exploring the different sounds I can achieve with a single guitar so I always go for the extra options.

Here's the neck close up, I love the stripes:
    IMG_3155.jpg

And that about does it. Hope you enjoyed my humble-bragging picture dump!

2. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    That there is downright purdy.

stuffinplays likes this.

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Nice job man. It looks great. I have a Warmoth neck on one of my builds and it is my favorite. I've also toyed with the idea of white with gold hardware like an LP Custom, and it really does look sharp. I just started putting contours into my first builds and I've thought about the heel. How do you like the heel contour compared to a normal tele?

4. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Dec 23, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Great combo! Love that neck grain

stuffinplays likes this.

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    That is one extraordinary neck

stuffinplays likes this.

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Yep, that neck rules. Congratulations on the new guitar!

stuffinplays likes this.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    NICE!!!...almost TOO nice. I'd almost be leery of playing out with that. But it does look great!

stuffinplays likes this.

9. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    Classy~
    Looks like the type of guitar you can play at a wedding venue..

nojazzhere and stuffinplays like this.

10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Very nice and well done. I love when a plan comes together.

stuffinplays likes this.

11. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I LOVE it - sweet tele!!

The neck/PG/Body/HW esthetic is awesome, great build!

stuffinplays likes this.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    She is a beauty... I am smitten!

13. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Nice! The grain on the neck is really eye catching.

stuffinplays likes this.

14. stuffinplays

Nov 30, 2017
    Tampa
    I strung it up and couldn't get it set up correctly before bedtime, so I dropped it off to my tech after work and he's going to set me straight. I will let you know once I get it back! The radius edge at the inside of the lower horn is going to be more of a positive than the slope of the heel, I believe. It's really nice and definitely adds to the strat feel I was going for, more than I anticipated.

Last edited: May 2, 2018

15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales

16. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2012
    England
    yeah that works, nice one, love that fretboard!

17. gampadug

gampadug TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Oregon
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

18. gampadug

gampadug TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Oregon
    Is that an arm contour or just a shadow?

19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    That’s glorious!

20. stuffinplays

Nov 30, 2017
    Tampa
    It is! IT's got an arm contour, belly contour and a neck heel contour/soft inner horn radius. Feels so nice :)

gampadug likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.