Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

First Neck Template

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by conan4480, Dec 2, 2012.

1. conan4480

conan4480 TDPRI Member

So i built my first neck template today for a strat that i have been working on. I used Colt's method utilizing the Ameican standard neck PDF as a starting point. I glued the heel portion of the printout on some 1/2" MDF and extended the centerline. I then measured 18 3/8" from the heel to the nut marking a line perpendicular to the cinterline to line up the headstock portion of the drawing. Cut it out with a band saw close to the line and use a disk and drum sander to hit the round edges. Used a router and a strait edge for the sides of the neck.

I didn't take any pictures during construction but a got a couple of the completed template.

Attached Files:

2. freaktone

freaktone TDPRI Member

Very cool, it gains a lot of experience for building & general woodworking making your own templates. Great job!

3. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Very nice. I see your in San Antonio. Hunted TX a lot over the years and always flew into San Antonio. 100 miles south near Cotulla and 90 miles west near Bracketville. Anyway, nice looking template.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

+1 And you always improve them too. I've made a number of improvements through generations of templates - lots of customizations too. Great stuff!

6. conan4480

conan4480 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. I started the body about two years ago and it sat in the garage until we moved. I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago and decided to finish it up.

Yeah, we did live in San Antonio, we just moved to the UK. Had to leave all the hunting gear (guns) with family. We were able to bring the bows though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.