First Monday flea market Canton,TX

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by guitarmoron, Jun 12, 2019.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Anyone been?

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Not personally but it is a big deal down here.

Lots of booths, lots of people and some interesting things.

I heard there were some musical booths as well.

guitarmoron likes this.
  3. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I live close by and have been lots of times.

I'm not big on all the pavilions of crafty things. But I like looking through piles of junk. You can find almost anything there.

The best way my family has found to divide it up is having men go one way and women go another. The ladies in my family want to look at crafty things, and drag their feet. The men will blow through the junk and tools and outdoorsy stuff and then sit and eat something delicious and unhealthy. Or watch people.

Sometimes we even drive over there separately :D

Are you looking for advice?

guitarmoron likes this.
  4. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I don't see much musical stuff when I'm there. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong parts (It's way too much to see one day).

There are the usual pawn shop brands, and occasionally an antique - like a cool old harmony or something - that's been sitting out in the rain.

guitarmoron likes this.
  5. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Yes any advice

6. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

That’s what I was wondering. Music stuff

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

We like to park at the west gate. It's easy in and out (from I-20) when the town of Canton is so blocked up with traffic.
    Lots of walking though. It'll put you in at the "booths" in the trees - people selling junk out of their RVs. Once you walk through that, you'll get into the pavillions where the crafts and things are. It's a long way to the other end (Hwy 19) and most of it is pavillions and fair-food.

Again, it's too much to see in one day. But I usually see enough by early afternoon, if you know what I mean. I've never felt the need to go two days in a row.

You can also park off of Hwy 64 on the east side of town. I haven't done that in a while. Over there, is a different experience. The south side of the road used to be mostly animals (dogs and cats, etc). The north side of the road is a bunch of nicer shops going up on a hill.

Here's a map to the West Gate. The earlier you get there, the closer your parking will be. I think it's up to $5 now. It's basically parking in a hayfield, so don't take your lowrider. I've never had problems in my little saturn or nissan altima.
    upload_2019-6-13_7-11-41.png

guitarmoron likes this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

When I lived in the DFW area we went fairly regularly. Now this was back in the mid 70s to late 80s.
    We found a lot of cool stuff (a mantle clock for mom, antique medicine chest made of birds eye, mahogany full length mirror come to mind) and a bunch of what we considered junk.
    I’m sure it’s grown exponentially over the years

guitarmoron likes this.
  9. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

If I were doing some barn-find type antique-ing, I'd want to be in the open lots by the west gate (as well as the blue-building and the open pavillions north of the booths in the trees. There used to be a guy with guitars in the blue building, not sure if he's still renting space or not).

If I were taking my wife and she wanted to see crafty ideas and bedazzled t-shirts and homemade candles and salsas, I'd take her to the pavillions (I think they call them "the arbors"). I'd probably bring a flask of something to help me cope.

If I wanted a beagle puppy and a small flock of goats, I'd go to the south side of Hwy 64.:)

Folks are pretty nice there, too, usually. Especially the morning crowd. Never hurts to strike up a conversation with a local or someone with a kind face.
    But a lot of Joanna-Gaines-wannabes from Dallas tend to show up in the afternoon, and they're not so nice. . .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    guitarmoron likes this.
  10. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Thinking of going August 1st, amy hotel recommendations? Best western looks like the only decent review(trip advisor ). But it us around $200 with the tax

11. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

Yeah, but man, it's been awhile. We always used to go park in Dog Alley, and just walk around and eat funnel cake. Picked up hogs,dogs, and chickens there. I love First Mondays.

guitarmoron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.