Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First lefty tele - VIntage V52/72 vs G&L Asat Classic

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Thegooddr, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Thegooddr

Thegooddr TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Uk
    Hi all,

Would certainly appreciate some info in helping decide my first tele guitar. I've played for over 20 years but now just recording at home via my Atomic Amplifire - and narrowed it down to these three axes -

http://www.jhs.co.uk/products/guita...ge-v52-electric-guitar-left-hand-butterscotch

http://www.jhs.co.uk/products/guita...ec-tl-electric-left-hand-flamed-tobacco-burst

https://rguitars.co.uk/collections/left-handed-electric-guitars/products/asat-classic-left-hand

From any owners on here, are there big differences in the build / quality of the makers between Vintage & G&L?

I do have the option for jhs / vintage to do a setup on my chosen guitar, so need to consider this also.

Now, I would like a maple neck - which covers the v52 and ASAT - and I certainly don't want to change the pickups as I've read both good things about Wilkinson and G&L hardware respectively.

With the 72 model, I'm taken by the finish and wonder if the f-hole makes much tonal difference - but appreciate it has a mini hb in the bridge - whereas one quality I'm looking for is a rich, open almost 'airy' tone from the pickups - neck especially.

Guitar will be used for classic rock, blues and ambient styles.

So, if anyone has any opinions, owned any of the above - please help me decide on my choice.

Much appreciated -

-TGD

2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Holic

Aug 16, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I can only speak to the G&L as I had one. These guitars are built really well & sound damn good. I would spend the extra cash on it.

3. oldfish

oldfish Tele-Meister

Aug 23, 2015
    uk
    had the asat very nice guitar and as nubs has said put together realy well you might want to consider a used mim fender tele

4. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    I personally wouldn't put the quality of Vintage anywhere near the G&Ls.

For my money it would be the G&L easily. Good luck with your decision.

For the same money btw, you could go for a Squire CV50, much better value.

5. Thegooddr

Thegooddr TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Uk
    Thanks for all the input - will checkout the CV50 - but have a feeling the G&L will win....

6. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

Apr 27, 2017
    USA
    I really like my G&L. Mine has alnico pickups. Before that I sold an Epi Les Paul that I didn't care for, because I didn't like the tones from the humbuckers. I don't have experience with the others you mention or with a semi hollow. I've been an acoustic player for decades, learning electric the past couple years. Love the tones, the quality, the look, the feel, everything about my G&L. No disrespect to Fender or other makes I haven't owned. I'm sure I'd be happy with others, too.

7. SouthPaw

SouthPaw TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2003
    I don't have any experience with the vintage you mention, but as a fellow lefty, i'd have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the USA G&Ls. I have 3 of em, ASAT Special, Legacy and ASAT Classic semi hollow. In my experience G&L is one of the few companies that are "lefty friendly" they play beautifully and the only danger is it is hard to stop at just one.. good luck.

8. Thegooddr

Thegooddr TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Uk

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I played 2 of those butterscotch Vintages.

One was set up too low, and the neck felt too thin back to front. The other didn't feel too thin, but neck thickness may have been my impression because this one was set up too high. That bridge pickup is awesome though.

10. rooboo

rooboo TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    My two cents are to go with Squier Classic Vibe instead. Much better than all lower priced real Fenders I've played. And not at all comparealble to the other Squier teles. The classic vibe is really something else. I've been a Les Paul player since I started playing in the late 80ies. I got a Squier Classic Vibe as a birthday gift two years ago and was blown away. I play it a lot more than the Gibson LP nowadays.

Here's a live clip with me and the Squier.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    You'd not be disappointed by the Vintage range. They're really very good. Well made, well appointed, fine sounding, solid, sturdy guitars. They're not Classic Vibe though. Sort of just over halfway between a Squier standard and a Classic Vibe. Better sounding than the standard, bridge pickup on a par with the CV, neck not far behind. Good bridge plate, good tuners, good fretwork on the Vintage brand guitars I've tried. On a par with the CV again.
    Fit and finish on the CV is better though. The paint is better applied. The Vintage guitars always seem to have an uber thick poly coat. Not that it really matters. What matters is how they feel to -you-
    I like my Vintage SG. At the time of purchasing it, the Epiphone SG wasn't quite there ( they are now ) and the Gibson wasn't even in the running ( long, tedious story ). When I bought my CV, I tried a Vintage and it wasn't -quite- there compared to the CV.
    Try before you buy.
    I know next to nothing about G&L.

12. Thegooddr

Thegooddr TDPRI Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Uk
    Many thanks for all the input - I guess the best bet is to simply find a place where there is a much of what I like to try and play - let my ears and hands decide. Certainly don't want to buy unseen/unplayed again.

-TGD

13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Holic

May 6, 2012
    England
    That is the only way to decide imo, good luck with it and make sure you have a NGD on here, alright?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.