Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

First Impressions of Caline Pegasus Klon Klone

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Dec 26, 2017.

1. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Wow! Another Grand Slam from Caline! More open and dynamic than some other Klones I've tried, bright and clear, very touch responsive, with less mid-hump than many. Even with the gain cranked, it has very little compression, and remains clean and responsive, similar to the Pure Sky. Highs are bright and clear, but never shrill or edgy. I think it's gonna be my favorite OD ever! I've never tried a real Centaur or KTR, so I don't know how close it is to the real deal, but I love it! The best $47 I've spent recently.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Felino, CV Jee Beez and mnutz like this.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    What would some of those be? thanks

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Soul Food (but a long time ago, and I have a different amp now), Xin Sound Sky, Tone City Bad Horse, Tone Bakery Cream Brulee, 2 different Chinese Centaur Klones off Ebay (the Kit one, and the one Shane at In the Blues reviewed).
    I haven't tried the more expensive ones like the Archer, Tumnus, Oxblood, or others, only the budget ones.

valvestate and blowtorch like this.

4. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I'd love to hear this. There are no clips posted that I can find

But wow, that Caline Orange Burst sounds nice! I Know, not a klone, but still

5. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've only tried Caline overdrives, 'cause my amp has chorus, reverb, and delay in it. It also has overdrive, but I think it sounds better with a real pedal between the guitar and amp over the built in overdrives and distortions. But, every Caline pedal I've tried has been awesome- this one, the Pure Sky, the Orange Burst, and the Highwayman.
    It's brand new, so I imagine some of the well known online reviewers will get to it soon. I think I may have the first one in the US. FWIW, only two sellers on Ebay have it so far, the one in California that I got it from, for $47 with free shipping(called Musician Outfitters), and someone called Bandline336 in China, who specifies "Shipped from Caline in China" for $66.76 and $6.62 shipping, with original currency in Pounds Sterling converted to US Dollars. Strange. A quick Google search reveals only two other retailers with them, a place in the UK called Spartan Music for 50 pounds, And Alibaba with bulk prices of $30 each for 30-199 pieces, and $20 each for over 200 pieces.

valvestate likes this.

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    So, I just got out the Xin Sound again to try it compared to the other three, and to me it sounds like it's got slightly sucked out mids compared to the others, or the others have more mid-hump. Either way it sounds like a bit more bass and treble and less mids, which gives it a little different personality and tonal flavor, with an ever so slight bit of Fuzz when turning up the gain, a bit more like a Boss Blues Driver.

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    How does it stack up to the Tone City Bad Horse, specifically? For "budget" klones, that one seems to get great reviews.

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Bad Horse is really nice, too. It's a little brighter and more compressed, perhaps, with less bass than the Pegasus. There are things about the Pegasus, Bad Horse, Xin Sound Sky and Cream Brulee that I like. They're all just voiced a little different, with the Cream Brulee being the warmest, Xin Sound and Bad Horse the brightest, and the Pegasus in between, at least to my ears, with my guitars and amp. Your results may vary. For $50 each buy 'em both, and keep the one you like best, and return the other one. Or, if you're insane like me, then keep both!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    bigben55 likes this.

9. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just got out my Epi LP to see how the different pedals sound with it, and although I like the Pegasus more than the others with a Strat, I think I like the Bad Horse more with the LP.

kevsonic likes this.

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just wanted to add one final thing I've found with both the Pegasus and Bad Horse, and that is that they're both lower gain than most OD pedals. Even with the gain at 2 o'clock on both the sound is still very clean. I have to turn the gain on either of them up to 4-5 o'clock to reach the same amount of dirt as a typical TS type circuit on 12-2 o'clock. But, that's how they stay so dynamic and low compression, by being voiced that way.

11. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    So this is the only clip I could find. The guy gives no example of his tone without the pedal engaged, and he hardly changes up the settings throughout the vid

12. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I saw this too, but I chose not to post it, as it's poorly done, and not a very good representation of what this pedal can do. No doubt Shane, Phil McKnight, Mike Hermans, or someone else more qualified to do it justice than this guy will get around to it soon.
    This video does, however, highlight the clarity and low maximum gain available from this pedal pedal that I spoke of.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Staypuft1652 likes this.

13. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm interested. I've never had a Klone. What I'm considering replacing is a Fulltone Fat Boost 3. I love it for a boost, but on this board have been using is as a low gainer. I figured I should get an ACTUAL low gainer. It has to do 2 things: 1) goose a BB Preamp for a lead boost when playing dirty rhythm, and 2) be a low gain lead boost when playing clean rhythm. There's lots of pedals that will work, but a big klon sized pedal won't fit.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    I've been following this one. I'm a strat/tele man so I guess the Caline is
    the recommended pedal for that. I've been using a Soul Food and wonder if there is any experience with that as a coparison? I been checking new prices on the Caline and the lowest I've found
    Is $47 new free shipping. Platefire

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have generally been satisfied with budget pedals. But always, I feel the urge to upgrade. And having never owned a Klone, I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and try a Rimrock Fx Mythical Overdrive from the get go.

emisilly likes this.

16. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    There's always the option to build your own.... here. It's no cheaper than the Caline, but sometimes that's not the point.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Just bite the bullet and by a Klon :p

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've been thinking about trying the Soul Food again, 'cause when I tried it I had a different amp then that wasn't as pedal friendly, and it seems to be everyone's favorite budget Klone, and it sure sounds good in all the YouTube videos. Otherwise, I'll never know how all these other Klones I've tried compare.

19. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Well, I just ordered a Soul Food on Ebay, a store display model for $10 less than a new one. Otherwise, I'll never know how it compares to all the other Klones I've tried.

20. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Can you post some gut shots of the Caline ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.